Physical Graffiti

BlackDog71

I have grown to absolutely love "Physical Graffiti" so much! It's become my favorite Zeppelin album of them all. I love the sound, feel, lyrics, different sound each song provides, and so many other reasons.

I've come to love less known songs (at least heard on the radio) like "Custard Pie"...."Down by the Seaside"...."In The Light" and "Boogie With Stu" to name a few.

I don't want to go on forever talking about how much I love "Physical Graffiti" (trust me I could), but I do want to hear what others think about it. Favorite songs, moments, riffs, or memories regarding the album. If it's also your favorite album from Led Zeppelin, I would love to hear why as well.

In The Light was the first Led Zeppelin song iI heard, and for that reason it's still my favorite album. Ten Years Gone is possibly my favorite Led Zeppelin song as well.

"In The Light" is such a groovy and fun song. I also love the drum fills from Bonham all the way through it.

"Ten Years Gone" is my second favorite song on the album. Next to "Kashmir" only. I love it. Some of Plant's best vocal and lyrical work (IMO).

This is my favorite album. I feel as though many songs are underrated on it as well. My favorites being In the light, the rover, ten years gone, In my time of dying and custard pie...oh what an innuendo that tune is. I personally just admire the feeling and depth of this album. Its different in its own way from the others. Even something about Page's playing is so powerful if I can say. Just a masterpiece.

I love this album, too. It captures many different Zeppelin moments, from Kashmir and In The Light to The Wonton Song or Trampled Underfoot. The songs were rcorded in different years and I think it really is a pretty pic of what Led Zeppelin is, a great rock band.

PG was the very first Zeppelin album I ever bought (July 1979 at Record World) mainly due to an amazing song called Kashmir that just blew me away the first time I ever heard it- never had heard anything like that before! Back then, radio was different than today- most of the rock stations here in NY would play albums in their entirety at one time or another (late at night or Sunday evenings mostly) so I had actually heard the whole album before I got it.

I started with Kashmir as my favorite, but then fell in love with The Rover, Ten Years Gone, Wanton Song & Bron-yr-Aur (which I used in school one time for a Spanish language poetry presentation). Even today, PG remains my favorite Zeppelin album, and honestly there's no bad track on the entire album.

PG is a very under-rated album IMO. Kashmir has & will always be my favorite song. Period. But, I absolutely adore "The Rover', 'The Wanton Song', & 'In My Time of Dying'.

I have always felt the album is underrated among casual fans and the media, but has always gotten the respect of the big Zeppelin fans like myself and probably most people on this site. It's always been the easiest album to listen to all the way through.

• 5 weeks later...

I've mentioned it a couple of times, in other places on thsi site, that I was 11yrs old in 1975-6 when I got this album for Christmas. What a collection of songs and the jacket that was so cool too look at. In 1975, for an 11 yr old, there was nothing in the media about the band except for odd Creem and Hit Parader magazine. There was so much mystique to them. I knew nothing about them except they were from England. I remember hearing Kashmir for the first time and being mesmerized. I was just getting out of my Osmonds and DeFranco Family phase and getting into the Zeps. PG made me want to play my guitar even more and try to learn some of the sounds I was hearing. I also quickly got their back catalogue within the next couple fo years but PG is my fav! I can listen to it any time and it is my "alone on a desert island" record. There isn;t a bad cut on it IMHO. Glad you like it too BD71!

When it comes to hard rock, PG is the be-all and end-all, IMO.

Whenever I meet anyone who says PG isn't their fav rock album, I find it impossible to take them seriously on any level, and I therefore consider their opinions on anything else to be totally worthless.

....good one! I'm glad it is my favorite even more now...cheers

Tumblr essay below.

Trampled Under Foot. My Zeppelin Tumblr essay.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

thank you for sharing

In 1982, I had two room mates (both self proclaimed audiophiles) and when they would come back in the wee hours after caterwaulering I would put on Kashmir in the living room, AND in my bedroom, synchronizing them to about a five second delay between the two LP players ( a Kenwood and a JVC). Have to say it was otherworldly and it was such fun to mess with them. They reported that they were unable to walk due to spinning heads/double vision particularly during the coda.

Although the Immigrant Song is my favorite Zep song since that was the first song I heard, my favorite album is Physical Graffiti. It has everything. It has blues rock, it has rock, it has acoustics. I personally think it shows the musicianship between the four of them. All of them have their highlights on that album. I always thought Physical Graffiti should be the best selling Zeppelin album and not Led Zeppelin IV, but I realize that it is hard to compare Zeppelin albums because I find them all a masterpiece in one way or another.

I have grown to absolutely love "Physical Graffiti" so much! It's become my favorite Zeppelin album of them all. I love the sound, feel, lyrics, different sound each song provides, and so many other reasons.

I've come to love less known songs (at least heard on the radio) like "Custard Pie"...."Down by the Seaside"...."In The Light" and "Boogie With Stu" to name a few.

I don't want to go on forever talking about how much I love "Physical Graffiti" (trust me I could), but I do want to hear what others think about it. Favorite songs, moments, riffs, or memories regarding the album. If it's also your favorite album from Led Zeppelin, I would love to hear why as well.

Its tied for my second favorite with II. IV will always be my fav. But I will never forget the wait between Houses of the Holy and PG. Led Zeppelin were immortal by then and 18 months seemed like 19 years. I remember buying the 8 track as soon as it hit the stores. Put that bad boy into my cd player in my 66 Mustang and cranked the shit out of it. Kashmir and Trampled Under Foot were just so different from previous material. I loved the whole album right away but it grew and grew on me. Kind of like Some Girls by the Stones grew on me.

• 8 months later...

The first time I heard The Rover, it just blowed me away so hard, I had to pause it and hear it from the begining again, that riff is insane, the album as a whole doesn't convince me as much as I, Ii & III but it has so many powerful songs, Kashmir alone makes it a gem.

Physical Graffiti = Best Album of All-Time!

Like it has been stated in the prior posts, the great songs on Physical Graffiti are endless - Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot, In My Time Of Dying, Ten Years Gone, The Rover, In The Light, Sick Again, Night Flight, The Wanton Song, etc., etc., etc.

Physical Graffiti is definitely one of if not the best Led Zeppelin albums,as the songs mentioned above make the album stand out. Its some of Zeppelins most brilliant music.You can't go wrong with any of the songs on the album..

Archived