New Jørgen Angel book and exhibit

Janvier

It's been announced that the Old Town of Århus (Den Gamle By) will host an exhibition of Jørgen Angel's photographs to commence September 21st. The date coincides with the release, the same day, of the book BEAT mm – Jørgen Angels fotografier 1966-1983 written by Danish journalist Martin Blom Hansen.

"The book is 272 pages with about 500 pictures. The pictures are accompanied by a wealth of stories and anecdotes from Jorgen Angels meeting with rock's big names."

"On the same day opens a major exhibition of the same name in the museum The Old Town in Aarhus, which is also behind the publication of the book. At the exhibition you can see a great selection of photos, video clips with Jørgen Angels stories, and admire cameras and other photo hardware from a bygone era and much more".

(Google translation from Danish).

576608_366311333426207_1398688543_n.jpg

For more information you may visit the following sites:

• 2 weeks later...

The following is a press release posted by journalist Martin Blom Hansen on his blog (www.blomhansen.dk). The entry is dated September 9, 2012.

(My most sincere apologies for the quality of the text, it's a rough online translation via google, from Danish to English. view the original in Danish, here: http://www.blomhansen.dk/2012/09/09/bogen-er-ankommet/):

The Danish photographer Jorgen Angel is known for his images from rock's golden and intense years in the 60s and 70s. He was also dandy with the camera as Led Zeppelin had its world premiere in Gladsaxe Teen Club in September 1968. Also his images of, for example, Deep Purple, Ten Years After, Jimi Hendrix, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music, Queen, Savage Rose and George Strait have gone down in history as testimony to a time when rock music flourished wild and lush. Not to talk about his pictures from Thylejren in 1970, the first festival in Roskilde and concerts in Copenhagen park in Copenhagen.

His photos have been on the cover of all sorts of music magazines, and first May 2012 was his famous photo of Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page from 1970 recorded in the permanent museum collection of the world's leading portrait museum, the National Portrait Gallery in London.

Exhibition and book

Now Jorgen Angel transferred the right to use thousands of his pictures to "Jorgen Angel Collection" in the Old City. Henceforth, photos, cameras, magazines and much more included as part of the museum's collection of 1960s and 70s.

While the exhibition the museum publishes a comprehensive book, "BEAT mm - Jørgen Angels photographs 1966-1983", with Jørgen Angels photos and stories that places the images in the context of current trends. The book is written by music journalist Martin Blom Hansen. The book is 272 pages with about 500 pictures. The pictures are accompanied by a wealth of stories and anecdotes from Jorgen Angels meeting with rock's big names and an environment and a time that has gained immense cultural significance.

Rock music permeated the zeitgeist

With the construction of a large new neighborhoods from the 1970s is The Old Town in depth with a period, as many can remember, and that helped to shape and give identity to hundreds of thousands of young people. "I think many feel like me. When they see Jørgen Angels pictures, it's like reliving his youth. I am proud that Jorgen Angel has chosen to work with just the Old City, and while we are happy to help preserve his images and stories for posterity, "says museum director Thomas Bloch Ravn.

Jorgen Angel is delighted that his photographs now become part of the total picture of an important time and culture. Images can thus help to give new generations a key to the youth culture that prevailed, and was greatly influenced by rock music.

A time of openness and access

The music scene was in many ways virgin in the 60s and 70s. It is a key element in both the book and the exhibition. Jorgen Angel says among other things: "The music was what we all had in common back then. It was a time of innocence. I could photograph the front of the stage, behind the scenes and sometimes on stage. I was invited into the band wagon or sedan, if it was particularly high, drank beer with the band backstage and was invited home for some of them. Everyone respected everyone. Musicians, journalists, record company people, photographers, concert organizers. It was not a big family, it would be a lie to say. But there was still a sense of community. When a band was on tour and had made new record, it was: Hey, it's good to see you, we do not have a beer? "

Preparations are at full speed in the old town of Århus (Den Gamle By) as the Jørgen Angel exhibition opens this Friday.

Earlier today, the Danmarks Købstadmuseum reported on a Facebook page that "We are working hard to get the show ready for the official opening tomorrow!"

Mr. Angel has busied himself in the past couple of weeks with various interviews with journalists and museum personnel, some of them recorded on video, which will be aired at various times during the exhibit.

Some of this activity is reflected in photographs posted by Den Gamle By on their facebook page.

10515_416751151715558_544159932_n.jpg

The exhibit runs from September 21st, 2012 through September 2013. For opening hours and admission fees please visit: http://www.dengamleb...lan-your-visit/

Excellent news zemun. Hope the book is available in the U.S.

A couple of days ago I asked if there'll be an English edition of Beat mm, and a museum officer sent me a response:

"The Jørgen Angel book is written in Danish but the pictures are universal There are no actual plans about making an English edition though we have reflections on it. Do you think there will be an actual demand??

We will of course be able to send the book outside Denmark if you wish us to."

A couple of days ago I asked if there'll be an English edition of Beat mm, and a museum officer sent me a response:

"The Jørgen Angel book is written in Danish but the pictures are universal There are no actual plans about making an English edition though we have reflections on it. Do you think there will be an actual demand??

We will of course be able to send the book outside Denmark if you wish us to."

I've got my copy coming. I need a Dutch translator now.

I've got my copy coming. I need a Dutch translator now.

You will need a Danish translator! please tell us when you receive your book :)

The Århus Stiftstidende which is a local newspaper ran a chronicle of the museum's reception, and illustrated it with a photo of Jimmy Page and Jørgen Angel.

post-19355-0-68785700-1348279306_thumb.j

http://stiften.dk/aarhus/de-fede-tiders-rockfotos-paa-museum

• 1 month later...

You will need a Danish translator! please tell us when you receive your book :)

The Århus Stiftstidende which is a local newspaper ran a chronicle of the museum's reception, and illustrated it with a photo of Jimmy Page and Jørgen Angel.

post-19355-0-68785700-1348279306_thumb.j

http://stiften.dk/aa...otos-paa-museum

My Review (plus ordering info): http://www.led-zeppelin.org/joomla/media-reviews/2000

• 1 month later...

I'm from Denmark, if I can be of any help translating or explaining anything please don't hesitate to ask.

Of the top of my head, and without having read any of the articles that are linked to this thread. I believe the reason for the exibition being held in Den Gamle By (The Old Town) is, that they (at the time) resently finished constructing a street from the year 1974. For those of you who don't know - Den Gamle By - is a museum. It's built like a small town, where you can walk through the streets of different historical periods. All the buildings are original houses that were taken down carefully at their original location, and rebuilt in Den Gamle By, most of the houses are also fittet with interieor to fit the historical period and original function. It's a very unique place :)

I've been to one of Jorn Angels exibitions (bought a few Zep originals there), and it really wasn't that big a deal. He has taken some great pics, but he isn't big here at all. His exibitions and lectures are held at very small venues and are most often free of charge. Many of the artists he took pics of are Danish.

Again feel free to ask if I can be of any help :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived