*slowly pokes head around*

sabelstorm

Welcome to the forum! I hope it is as magickal as you are feeling right now! What got you into Zep on 11/6/10?

Peace.

aaahh, this calls for my zeppelin story, so let me just copy paste from my tumblr

when i first picked up the guitar, i wanted to learn michelle branch. my dad taught me a few songs but one thing that stuck was “if you can play stairway to heaven, you can play guitar” so he taught it to me and since then the intro would be my practice piece (to this day i cannot play it without fuckups) i didn’t actually hear the song until a few years later, and i didn’t like it. eventually i got into the sex pistols and the ramones, and saw classic rock the way the punks did (again, didn’t like it). but the stones and the kinks were music i was always familiar with, because i grew up also listening to classic rock, without appreciating it yet. strangely, i don’t recall hearing much zeppelin music, but they were always mentioned when my parents and their friends would talk. then at the start of college i started to enjoy older bands, like the kinks and the stones (my mom and dad’s favourites, respectively) and i saw 'almost famous' for the second time, this time with my full attention. i began crying at the end scene, in which Tangerine was playing, which i’m quite sure contributed to the emotion that scene brought. i downloaded that song, but not any other zeppelin song. i didn’t even know what the band looked like. i learned it on the guitar and that’s when i started playing again, with more interest this time. i downloaded a handful of their other songs, but i couldn’t get past black dog—i couldn’t stand it. for a long time i was obsessed with "Tangerine" and nothing more. it wasn’t until November 6, 2010, after my 21st birthday party i spent with friends at a hotel suite, that I was DRAWN to Zeppelin. four of us were left as we waited for check out, and we decided to plug in one of the dvds i brought (i just picked out a handful of discs i never watched before). it started with the Royal Albert Hall concert and i was like wtf woah they’re pretty intense. but i was drawn. THE moment I fell in love with Jimmy and the whole sound the band produced, was a minute in The Ocean, Madison Square Garden 1973. I was so confused, bewildered, I didn’t understand what i was feeling, what i was hearing, but I was hooked.

thus, my life truly began.

"So Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise", huh?)))

That's how it is. That's how it should be. Every year more and more people discover the treasures and gems of The Golden Era of Rock Music. There were dozens of good bands, a handful of great bands but only a few to reach the heights of Led Zeppelin, and NONE that could get anywhere as near The Beatles. The test of time is the ultimate filter. Although most of the younger generations such as myself may feel that we were born a little bit too late to catch up with the Flower Power groove and all, we still have to be grateful and feel priviledged to still be able to have a glimpse of History in the making and how True Legends were forged! It's like living in XVIII century and being able to hear and SEE Mozart himself perform his music LIVE!

In 100-200 years from now, bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Stones will be taught and told about at schools in music classes, the same way they tell us about Beethoven, Mozart and Bach.

"So Sgt. Pepper took you by surprise", huh?)))

That's how it is. That's how it should be. Every year more and more people discover the treasures and gems of The Golden Era of Rock Music. There were dozens of good bands, a handful of great bands but only a few to reach the heights of Led Zeppelin, and NONE that could get anywhere as near The Beatles. The test of time is the ultimate filter. Although most of the younger generations such as myself may feel that we were born a little bit too late to catch up with the Flower Power groove and all, we still have to be grateful and feel priviledged to still be able to have a glimpse of History in the making and how True Legends were forged! It's like living in XVIII century and being able to hear and SEE Mozart himself perform his music LIVE!

In 100-200 years from now, bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Stones will be taught and told about at schools in music classes, the same way they tell us about Beethoven, Mozart and Bach.

YES EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! I've actually drawn similarities, how bands like Led Zeppelin, for example, everyone knows the name but not everyone listens to them anymore, at least not a lot and not from my age group. They know it's a standard of rock, the same way a lot of us know the name Mozart and Bach and such. also, don't forget The Who!! at least personally, they're (a very close) second fav. band of mine. and Jeff Beck, I've been obsessed with him lately. but Zeppelin.....I go through phases and it could be too early to tell but this has been my longest phase and it shows no signs of fading...it only grows stronger as time passes, and this could be my permanent state :P

Archived