Favorite versions of Dazed and Confused?

SpookyE

I would like to know what your favorite version of Dazed And Confused is from each year that it was performed.

So for example:

your favorite from '69, '70, and so on..........

Not really going to include '68 because there is only one known recorded live version of it.

I happen to really like the O2 version. The steps down really make it sound monstrous (can't wait to hear how it will sound on the official release). Though some may disagree because of a supposed "train wreck" solo which in my opinion, is an utterly bull sh*t complaint.

Edited by FunkyPhantom

1969: Either Jan. 10, 1969 San Francisco or the 1969 Super Show(even though the video is edited, it still smokes...love Jimmy's tone with the Dragon Tele and WEM amp combo).

1970: Jan. 9, 1970 RAH

1971:Sept. 29, 1971 Osaka, Japan

1972: June 25, 1972: LA Forum

1973: March 24, 1973 Offenburg

1975: March 12, 1975 Long Beach Arena

• 2 weeks later...

1969: Either Jan. 10, 1969 San Francisco or the 1969 Super Show(even though the video is edited, it still smokes...love Jimmy's tone with the Dragon Tele and WEM amp combo).

is the tele plus the wem the equipment he used during the fist bbc show.this total tube sound and the variing of

sounds is so mindblowing.did he use any toneblender etc ?

someone gave me a great link for the research of jimmys equipment but this special show with the best white summer

version was not mentioned.

i had a radioversion of this show but the guitarsound was fat and not flat as the official bbc-session release.

is the tele plus the wem the equipment he used during the fist bbc show.this total tube sound and the variing of

sounds is so mindblowing.did he use any toneblender etc ?

someone gave me a great link for the research of jimmys equipment but this special show with the best white summer

version was not mentioned.

i had a radioversion of this show but the guitarsound was fat and not flat as the official bbc-session release.

Hi Tea for Tanja,

The first BBC session was recorded on March 3, 1969, while the Supershow appearance was March 25, 1969. Everything I have seen and read says that Jimmy made his switch from the Telecaster to the Les Paul after Joe offered him the Les Paul at the April San Francisco shows. Which seems to prove that Jimmy definitely used the Tele on the first BBC session.

The question I can't answer definitively is what amp he used for that first BBC session. It's not a given he used WEM's, as he also used Rickenbacker amps with his Tele on the early tours. Whatever he used, I love it.

I know Jimmy's primary lasting image is him with the Les Paul slung low with the row of Marshall's behind him, but the geek in me has a special place in my heart for the early concerts PRECISELY because of the fuzz and buzz of Jimmy's Dragon Tele and Rickenbacker/WEM amps. He got sounds and tones and sustain out of a Tele that I had never heard anyone else get before. I wish he would have stuck with the combo a little longer. There's something about those early "Dazed and Confused"s that hit me unlike the Les Paul versions. Oh, and I am already on record here about my absolute passion for those "As Long As I Have You" medleys in 1968-69.

Here's a bonus question: did Jimmy switch to Marshall's at precisely the same time he started using the Les Paul? Or did he play the Les Paul a few times thru the WEM's before moving to Marshall's?

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...

How could I have overlooked Osaka, tough choice I think I might have to change my opinion on Orlando

How could I have overlooked Osaka, tough choice I think I might have to change my opinion on Orlando

Actually there are so many great ones from 1971, it's easy to overlook many of them. What finally swung my pick towards 9-29 Osaka was the absolute stellar violin bow segment...haunting, eerie and musically melodic; and the melencholy "Pennies from Heaven" dropped in unexpectedly.

The Tampa Stadium show, May 5th 1973. There is not an audio version of this or any Zep song that does any justice. The bass was just vibrating the stadium and when they were playing the 1st part of the song it just took everyone by surprise..oh, and then Jimmys bow solo was just everywhere. How The West Was Won is probably the closest version to what I heard except they added the "San Fran part into the song.

Jeff

For me, it's gotta be Hamburg 73 - the absolute live pinnacle. That whole string of Euro shows were outstanding. Actually, really enjoying some of the 75 shows - MSG Feb 12th, Baton Rouge Feb 28th for example - again. Another all time fave is Berkeley Sept 14 71.

I really have fun listening to Dazed from Texas Pop in '69 these days ... I usually tend to prefer the shorter, early versions of the song, where they also play it a little faster than they later would, which to me really makes it more eerie and psychedelic - when it's not too stretched out, the song will just seem like a more pointed statement. But the Texas Pop version in fact is somewhat in between here, about 15 minutes long. Jimmy had recently acquired the Les Paul and it sounds aggressive, evil, ominous ... and the band is fantastic.

• 3 months later...

Actually there are so many great ones from 1971, it's easy to overlook many of them. What finally swung my pick towards 9-29 Osaka was the absolute stellar violin bow segment...haunting, eerie and musically melodic; and the melencholy "Pennies from Heaven" dropped in unexpectedly.

Just checked out the bow segment. you're spot on. Sounds like a horror movie soundtrack - or a haunted house. Yikes!! Love it.