Stairway solo rumour

Tea for Tanja

There is a rumour that Jimmy used a second leadguitar for the solo

of the studio version of Stairway besides the Telecaster.

Is this true?

Was the dragonpainting on the Tele removed before or

after the recording of the stairway solo ?

Was the solo recorded live with the band or as an overdubb ?

Thank you for an information.

There is a rumour that Jimmy used a second leadguitar for the solo

of the studio version of Stairway besides the Telecaster.

Is this true?

Was the dragonpainting on the Tele removed before or

after the recording of the stairway solo ?

Was the solo recorded live with the band or as an overdubb ?

Thank you for an information.

Yes, as henerybonzo said, over dub. I once had the ZoSo (IV) basement tapes and he had three guitar solos for it. The first solo, the one on the album and played live, was the one used. I remember hearing the band jam on these tracks jam on the three various solos he had or he just overdubbed the solos and chose the first. I assume it was the dragon Tele which he ran through a small Supro amp.

alright thanks.

so it was only the painted tele with the supro.

i wonder how he could have recorded live with this tiny thing while bonzo

thundered?

once he said in an interview he even had to change his marshall cause

bonzo was too loud.

anyhow it was fortune him using the supro for this lead and the first album i guess.

alright thanks.

so it was only the painted tele with the supro.

i wonder how he could have recorded live with this tiny thing while bonzo

thundered?

once he said in an interview he even had to change his marshall cause

bonzo was too loud.

anyhow it was fortune him using the supro for this lead and the first album i guess.

Overdubbing is playing over a pre recorded track, so he could listen to the backing track including Bonzo at a much more softer volume while playing the solo.

I have not heard of the three studio overdub solos circulating, here are the two that I have heard. One is from the original recording/demo stages of Stairway (Headley Grange Studios, Hampshire, England Jan.'71), and the other is a (sometimes disputed and unknown origin) alternate solo along with an alternate mix of the album version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJh8U7qSQf0

I have not heard of the three studio overdub solos circulating, here are the two that I have heard. One is from the original recording/demo stages of Stairway (Headley Grange Studios, Hampshire, England Jan.'71), and the other is a (sometimes disputed and unknown origin) alternate solo along with an alternate mix of the album version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJh8U7qSQf0

thanks a lot realley great to listen aND WATCH:the best intro to this important place that doesn´t

look so spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...

the final lead guitar track seems a long, long way from these. I read somewhere that Page spent 6 months mixing LZ IV. On the video posted above, he is using a Tele in the middle position with the tone knob rolled back almost half, run thru a pre-amp boost into a Sola then into a Supro. The mic sounds like it is run thru two compressors in series then the signal split to a plate reverb mixed back into the dry then into the board then to the tape. Just sayin'....

Regarding the six months thing, if I remember correctly they (Page) mixed in L.A. and then took it back overseas and hated the way all of it sounded except for When the Levee Breaks.

As far as the two solos I posted, the first is in it's very beginning stages, but it is one of the only two "studio" solos I know of. The second one could possibly be one of the three takes, as it seems to be plopped in the (somewhat) final version of the song...but I doubt we will ever find out.

Archived