BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Water, water, water. On my fourth glass this morning. For some reason I woke up really thirsty and with a phlegmy throat. A fresh tangerine and a banana in addition to the water.

Attention jabe and Dd: I ate a muff today! :D

There's a new restaurant that has opened in the Chinatown section of downtown Los Angeles: The Little Jewel of New Orleans. It is a small, unassuming deli/market with a range of New Orleans/Louisiana specific food products and drinks. The restaurant part mostly turns out Po'boys (oyster, catfish, shrimp, Wagyu beef among others), and other sandwiches including Muffulettas.

That's what I ordered for lunch...only half a Muffuletta as a whole one is big enough for two. Hell, even a half was a lot of sandwich. It was soooo good and with plenty of pep...and if you wanted to add more heat there were plenty of Louisiana hot sauce options on the table. I also had a taste-test battle between Abita Root Beer and Swamp Pop. The root beer was excellent...up there with Virgil's and Spreckle's...but the tang of the Swamp Pop was just a bit more satisfying.

For dessert I had some fresh beignets, warm and heavenly, and bread pudding in whiskey sauce...comfort food to the max. All this was accompanied by some Chicory coffee. It was my only meal of the day.

If you're ever in L.A. The Little Jewel of New Orleans is worth a visit...or two.

post-1470-0-01670800-1431682457_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-76521500-1431682518_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-47239300-1431682601_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-55917400-1431682695_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-58061600-1431682773_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-13433600-1431682840_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-80439700-1431682898_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-50158600-1431682975_thumb.jp

^^^ Sweeeeeet...a little jewel, indeed!! A little creole to spice up Chinatown, I love it! You may feel like you need to run around the block or two after that meal, but it would be well worth it! Looks like a fun place to eat, especially with the grocery store included. The wrought iron outdoor seating is a nice touch and very NOLAish. Thanks for sharing the pics, and if I am in L.A., I will definitely check it out! I noticed the front of the store has signs for Crystal hot sauce and Barq's root beer, those are my favorites, although I've not tried the brands of root beer that you mentioned. Camellia brand beans, yes sir! Not sure if they really taste different than other brands, but around here, the answer would be 'absolutely'! Just made red beans and rice with those tasty red kidney beans.

Bon Appétit, Strider!

:)

Nothing at the moment, but for dinner later, it'll be chicken kiev and brown rice. The brown rice is because chicken kiev isn't the healthiest thing out there, what with all the butter that's in the middle. I haven't had one in years, so I'm looking forward to it.

Attention jabe and Dd: I ate a muff today! :D

There's a new restaurant that has opened in the Chinatown section of downtown Los Angeles: The Little Jewel of New Orleans. It is a small, unassuming deli/market with a range of New Orleans/Louisiana specific food products and drinks. The restaurant part mostly turns out Po'boys (oyster, catfish, shrimp, Wagyu beef among others), and other sandwiches including Muffulettas.

That's what I ordered for lunch...only half a Muffuletta as a whole one is big enough for two. Hell, even a half was a lot of sandwich. It was soooo good and with plenty of pep...and if you wanted to add more heat there were plenty of Louisiana hot sauce options on the table. I also had a taste-test battle between Abita Root Beer and Swamp Pop. The root beer was excellent...up there with Virgil's and Spreckle's...but the tang of the Swamp Pop was just a bit more satisfying.

For dessert I had some fresh beignets, warm and heavenly, and bread pudding in whiskey sauce...comfort food to the max. All this was accompanied by some Chicory coffee. It was my only meal of the day.

If you're ever in L.A. The Little Jewel of New Orleans is worth a visit...or two.

attachicon.gif20150514_142308.jpg

attachicon.gif20150514_151736.jpg

attachicon.gif20150514_140318.jpg

attachicon.gif20150514_154403.jpg

attachicon.gif20150514_140451.jpg

attachicon.gif20150514_151922.jpg

attachicon.gif20150514_151846.jpg

attachicon.gif20150514_140901.jpg

Cool deal, Strider!

.... I met a preacher man last week 35 miles east of Birmingham. Originally from Alabama, he had for ten+ years been a minister somewhere in the French Quarter. He returned to Bama to assume duties at a church here. We shot the shit and I brought up the muffs at Cafe Maspero. He said they're pretty good, but the best were from an Italian Grocery store, I believe somewhere close to the Farmer's Market. (does this ring a bell with you, Dd?)

I'm having baby back ribs tonight from Butts To Go, Pell City, AL.

Fuckin' yeah!

^^^ The preacher is likely referring to Central Grocery on Decatur. I have not eaten there but have heard they have great muffulettas. Their sign touts the 'original' muffuletta. May be the inspiration for Strider's little jewel with the grocery store layout.

post-26295-0-97861000-1431740797_thumb.j

^ True dat! ;) Enjoy brotha! :)

Boiled jumbo wild tiger shrimp with fresh cocktail sauce, extra horseradish. 5 ounce lobster tails, with drawn butter. Large Cherry Neck clams, steamed, with drawn butter. Wife made some peach sangria, with grapes, apples, and strawberries. Not bad...

Lots of green w/ Jr. at Grandma's house. :)

Trying my hand at scones. Hot tea with honey.

image.jpg

Looks like they turned out all right, Dd. Did you eat them with clotted cream and jam?

Late post-show nosh of maple-glazed pork chops, baked yam, sauteed zucchini, carrots, and broccoli.

Looks like they turned out all right, Dd. Did you eat them with clotted cream and jam?

Late post-show nosh of maple-glazed pork chops, baked yam, sauteed zucchini, carrots, and broccoli.

I think this recipe is a keeper, although my expert taster (son) wants me to use dusting sugar and bake slightly longer for a crispier top. I have never heard of clotted cream (and will try not to judge the unappetizing name in light of the previous discussion regarding grits :P). Had to google it and discovered that it is hard to find in the U.S. I'm certain I'm missing out on a delicious addition to the scones.

Your meal sounds lovely! Hope I will see your review of the show on another thread.

:)