BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Had some chicken and vegetable soup for lunch to fend off this dreadful winter weather.

Tonight: Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni. Stuffed tubes of pasta with a tomato sauce base and a Parmesan cheese sauce topping. A few slices of Garlic bread to accompany.

Wine and herbs for merriment :D

Weekend nourishment.

Saturday while watching USC vs. UCLA college football. Actor Danny Trejo ("Machete" and some other action movies) has opened a taco joint in town and I finally got around to checking it out. Nothing fancy on the menu...mostly beer, wine, and tacos. A whole wall of beer on tap. I had the Lost Abbey Avant Garde Ale and three different tacos: Carnitas, Blackened Salmon, and Pulled Beef Brisket. Chips and fresh guacamole completed the ensemble.

20161119_194815.jpg

Sunday. Burrata with roasted beets, and Margherita pizza. Pellegrino water.

20161120_150021.jpg

Topped the day off with dessert...blueberry cheesecake and a Spanish latte. The man who first married blueberries with cream cheese deserves a Nobel Prize.

20161120_221248.jpg

Ahhhhh!!! Can't wait for my birthday! It's been way too long since I stuffed myself silly at my favourite Italian restaurant! :drool:

Yep! Bangalore's got one of those. Oh and that restaurant is really close to my home. With the kind of shitty traffic jams out here, this is so convenient! :) 

Here's the link to the menu: http://littleitaly.in/menu/index.html

I've been good all year, what with eating lentils, rotis, salad, tons of fruit, veggie and drinking oodles of glasses of water. I've been eating like one of those Indian guru dudes! Sheesh! I didn't even overdo it on Diwali day this year, except for the booze!

It was like this meme was following me, every where I went, this year:

1eknnx.jpg

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

On 21/11/2016 at 6:48 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Ahhhhh!!! Can't wait for my birthday! It's been way too long since I stuffed myself silly at my favourite Italian restaurant! :drool:

Yep! Bangalore's got one of those. Oh and that restaurant is really close to my home. With the kind of shitty traffic jams out here, this is so convenient! :) 

Here's the link to the menu: http://littleitaly.in/menu/index.html

I've been good all year, what with eating lentils, rotis, salad, tons of fruit, veggie and drinking oodles of glasses of water. I've been eating like one of those Indian guru dudes! Sheesh! I didn't even overdo it on Diwali day this year, except for the booze!

It was like this meme was following me, every where I went, this year:

1eknnx.jpg

That looks a great menu Kiwi. There is a Little Italy in Goa. Always had good food there.

Roasted Salmon filet, mashed spuds, Peas for din.

For those of you feeling adventurous this Thanksgiving.

maxresdefault.jpg

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE WITH PECAN PRALINE SAUCE

Recipe by Gemma Stafford.

Ingredients
Crust:
1 ¾ Cups (7.5oz/ 200g) graham crackers smashed into crumbs
½ Cup (4oz/120g). butter, melted

Filling:
1 ½ lbs cream cheese (3x 8 oz packs), at room temperature
2 Cups (15oz/430g ) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1½ Cups (10 ½ oz/ 300g))sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (recipe below)
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Pecan Praline Sauce:
1 Cup (8oz/ 225g) Unsalted Butter
1 Cup (8oz/ 225g)Heavy Cream
1 Cup (8oz/ 225g)Dark Brown Sugar
1 Cup(100g/ 3 ½ oz) Chopped Toasted Pecans
1 pinch of salt

Pumpkin Pie Spice:
2 tsp Cinnamon
⅛ tsp Nutmeg
¼ tsp Ground Ginger
¼ tsp Ground Cloves
½ tsp Ground Allspice
mix all together to make pumpkin pie spice

Whipped cream for serving

Instructions
For crust:
Preheat oven to 425-degrees. In medium bowl, combine crumbs, sugar, pecans, and coconut. Add melted butter and mix until all crumbs become moist with butter. Press down flat into a 9-inch springform pan. Set Aside in the fridge.

For filling:
Beat cream cheese until smooth. on Medium speed slowly add the eggs and sugar until combined. Add the pumpkin puree, pie spice and vanilla. Beat together on High speed until well combined and thickened.
Pour into crust. Spread out evenly and place in oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350-degrees and bake for 55-60 minutes. It should have a slight giggle to it when it’s baked.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours minimum. Preferrably overnight.

For topping:
In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the butter, heavy cream, brown sugar and pecans; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, Simmer until the sauce thickens, for about 5 minutes.
Take off the heat and set aside to cool.
Spoon over cheesecake and serve with whipped cream.

That looks fabulous Sean!  Back in the day, I made a killer cheesecake.  Now I try to stay out of the kitchen.  It's best for all concerned ;)

For tomorrow, I will be making my sweet potatoes and apples in a honey-rum sauce.  And bringing wine.  Lots of wine.

20 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

That looks a great menu Kiwi. There is a Little Italy in Goa. Always had good food there.

Roasted Salmon filet, mashed spuds, Peas for din.

I've been to quite a few restaurants over the years that claim to serve 'authentic' Italian Cuisine. One such restaurant was called Bella Ciao (in Chennai), which in my opinion was utter shit (still have no idea how that damn place hasn't shut down yet)! Their pizzas were thin crusted but actually tasted like Poppadom! :wacko: 

The moment I visited Little Italy for the first time and tasted their Pasta Primavera, I knew that there was something special there! :D 

I'm so excited, CP! I am even planning to photograph the food and post the photos exclusively on this thread! ;) 

38 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I've been to quite a few restaurants over the years that claim to serve 'authentic' Italian Cuisine. One such restaurant was called Bella Ciao (in Chennai), which in my opinion was utter shit (still have no idea how that damn place hasn't shut down yet)! Their pizzas were thin crusted but actually tasted like Poppadom! :wacko: 

The moment I visited Little Italy for the first time and tasted their Pasta Primavera, I knew that there was something special there! :D 

I'm so excited, CP! I am even planning to photograph the food and post the photos exclusively on this thread! ;) 

You'll have a great time sister !

When I first went to India we went to a Pastry sort of Cafe/shop in Calcutta called Kathleen's. It was THE luxury store in Calcutta. Flashy, bright, clean and had air con. As per normal all the staff were kitted out in the crispest linens and looked the business. The windows were full of all sorts of tarts and fancies and mini Pizzas There was loads of fancies that looked like they had cream in and chocolate and fresh fruit. We couldn't resist. What a let down the taste was. Sort of super sweet non dairy cream that was just awful. The Pizzas were even worse. Sure it's got better now that tastes have changed?

This afternoon I have been marinating lamb shoulder in Tikka spices. Having chums round on Saturday so I am doing Lamb Tikka Rogan Josh, which i will make tomorrow. Fiery too. A Mulligatawny soup to start and our guests are bringing a cheese cake. Love my Indian food