Robert Plants fascination with Owain Glyndwr

Horus777

After watching last nights press conference, and hearing Roberts funny regarding Glyndwr and channeling through the lyrics to stairway, i just thought id post on here, i wasnt sure if anyones mentioned it on here before.

Roberts always had a fascination for the welsh prince. In 2004 he gave money towards a bronze statue in a small town called Pennal in wales near Machynlleth. I was stayin with my wife in a near by cottage and missed the revealing by a few days, but i managed to go down a few days later and see the statue. I think a few welsh sports personalities through in for it too. Theres also a plaque on the floor too with there names on.

About a year later i was giggin in the small drill hall in machynlleth there with my band of the time. And i managed to get talking to the guy who was collecting the money at the door. He was a local and was telling me Robert was seen often in machynlleth (which is where bron yr aur is for anyone who doesnt know) He told of me of Roberts obsession for Owain Glyndwr, he said Robert actually thinks he is Glyndwr reincarnated.(obvisiously thats not fact!) Robert also funded some items in a small type of museum regaring the celts which was called Celtica. Which has since sadly closed.

It was great to hear the stories of the locals. And watching last nights conference as i said made me smile and think again when he mentioned Glyndwr. Not sure if anyone else has heard anymore regarding Robert & Glyndwr??

post-21492-0-93111200-1348334186.jpg

No worries Superstatic, just thought id post it. For those who dont know who Owan Glyndwr is. Owain was a welsh ruler who rebelled against the english, he was the last welsh prince of wales too, theres loads on the net about him, Not sure how Robert came about to have this fasciation of him, would love to know though. The original parliment house is still in machynlleth,where Glyndwr held his council. Its in damn good nick too!!

BBC News

Wed, Sep 8 2004

Rock star Plant honours rebel

_40043648_plantowain4.jpg

Plant wanted his association with the statue to be low key

A rock legend met a Welsh legend when Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant was guest of honour at the unveiling of a statue of 15th century rebel leader Owain Glyndwr.

Plant donated money towards a bronze sculpture of the Welsh prince.

He was at Pennal church, near Machynlleth, when the tribute was revealed at a ceremony on Saturday.

The singer's interest in Celtic history spans decades.

But Plant, who owns a farmhouse in the area, wanted his visit to be low key.

His appearance was only made public three days after the unveiling of the Glyndwr bronze.

Plant became involved in the project through word of mouth. He is part of an Owain Glyndwr network and regularly attends meetings throughout Wales about the prince.

And he also supports heritage projects. The rock star is understood to have helped fund a slate carving of Glyndwr's coat of arms at the Celtica museum in Machynlleth.

Other stars donated cash towards the statue too, including Hollywood actress Julia Ormond, whose grandmother was from Pennal.

Former Wales rugby great Ray Gravel also contributed.

_40043702_plantowain203.jpg

Plant owns a farmhouse in the Machynlleth area

Rev Geraint ap Iorwerth, rector of St Peter ad Vincula Church in Pennal, said: "Robert Plant, Julia Ormond and Ray Gravell all generously donated towards the statue.

"I was glad that some of the statue's patrons, such as Robert and artist Aneurin Jones, could attend the unveiling on Saturday.

"How many other people who've been dead for 600 years could draw together a rock star, a Hollywood actress, a rugby great and one of Wales' greatest artists as patrons of this project?"

He added: "Julia Ormond's father's family are said to be direct descendants of Owain Glyndwr's sister and Julia also supported the statue appeal.

"Julia's grandmother was from Pennal and was secretary of the Parochial Church Council in the 1930s.

"Unfortunately, Julia couldn't be at Saturday's unveiling."

In rock folklore, it is reputed that Plant and songwriting partner Jimmy Page penned the lyrics to Led Zeppelin's famous track, Stairway to Heaven, at his Powys home.

The rock star was unavailable for comment about his role in the statue project because of commitments overseas.

At a cost of £5,500, the bronze sculpture stands in the garden at St Peter ad Vincula Church.

_40043698_ormond203.jpg

Julia Ormond can trace her family back to Owain Glyndwr's sister

The garden was also landscaped and cost £35,000. It was funded by the Welsh assembly, Gwynedd Council, and Snowdonia National Park Sustainability Fund.

It is in the style of a mediaeval monastic herb garden.

"The statue by Dave Haynes, Bethesda, is the first ever bronze statue of Owain Glyndwr," added Rev ap Iorwerth.

Slate plaques to the Princes of Gwynedd's golden age of Owain Lawgoch - the last prince of the Royal House of Gwynedd, Glyndwr's clerical supporters of 1406, and Marged Glyndwr and her sons and daughters were also unveiled on Saturday.

St Peter Ad Vincula's (St Peter in Chains) sister church is the parish church of the Tower of London.

Founded in the 6th century, the church is renowned for its association with Glyndwr, who visited Pennal in 1406.

It was there he wrote the famous Pennal Letter to French King Charles IV calling for support for his rebellion.

The letter was never answered, but remained in the French national archive.

It is one of very few surviving examples of his handwriting and includes a copy of his seal.

The bronze was cast by Castle Fine Arts in Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, Powys, the company which crafted a statue of John Lennon for the airport which bears his name in Liverpool.

2009 Q Awards – RP Acceptance Speech

2009 Q Awards – Grosvenor House Hotel, London.

Robert Plant wins: Outstanding Contribution to Music Award

Robert’s Acceptance Speech:

In 1963 most bands passing through my town worked off the same sheet – Chicago R&B and early Motown identikit – packed with mail order arrogance and a taste for our local girls –

No social commentary just cash and penicillin…

One day the singer in a school Beat Group got sick – I stepped in –

Singing the songs was OK – what do you do with yourself in the guitar solos?

Stare at your shoes, think of Elvis – or preen??

What a blast – I was in heaven and ignored with a vengeance –

Well – time passes, creating shapes whilst styles and fashions come and go – nothing too self conscious – blissfully slogging on through the blacked out worlds of Mods, Rockers, Beatniks, the ludicrous elite and the hazardously psychedelic..

Then one day all the walls, the doors and the floor dissolved..

The Pan Am airliner taxied to a halt. The door flew back to reveal a subculture of wild, vulnerable, joyous, pained messengers , Shamen, Antichrists and hustlers…genius and trash…

All ministered by a support system of bogus medics, seers, cheap perfume and sweat.

Vivid, glorious and now all but gone…

The world is smaller now and a new world of music continues to confirm its beauty. Africa, for example, now telegraphs its distress, its anger and its corruption to a universal audience as did the far off prophets, Lenny Bruce, Dylan, JB Lenoir and Billy Bragg…

Down the years as much or as little of this whirlwind has been mine to connect with…

I have drawn a beautiful wild card that enriches my days and allows access to all the worlds of music and people and energy

A card for naivety

A card for learning

And a card for saying thank you

So thank you for the ride…

Jimmy, Jonesy and Bonzo, Terry Reid, Charlie Patton, Ali Farka Toure, Najat Atabou, Justin Adams, Elvis Presley, Roscoe Holcombe, The sons and daughters of Clarksdale, Mississippi, Owain Glyndwr, The Howling Wolf, Arthur Lee, Greil Marcus, Damon Albarn, Bob Harris, Charlie Gillett, Fluff Freeman, Johnnie Walker, Mike Raven, Tommy Vance, John Peel, Alan Freed, Wolfman Jack, Steve Bull, Andy Kershaw, Tinariwen, The Buckleys (father and son), Brother Ray, The GTO’s, Chicago Plastercasters, Alison Krauss, Soweto Gospel Choir, Willie Dixon, Billy Fury, Stourbridge Town Hall, Dock Boggs, Leadbelly, Joe Meek, Jack Goode, Bukka White, Blind Willie Johnson, Sir Richard Burton (19th Century), Sandy Denny, Memphis Minnie, Transglobal Underground, Julian Cope, Peter Gabriel, Paul Bowles, Bill Curbishley, Peter Grant, Richard Cole, Phil Carson, Ahmet Ertegun, Nicola Powell and the Dansette Conquest Auto – Major.

After watching last nights press conference, and hearing Roberts funny regarding Glyndwr and channeling through the lyrics to stairway, i just thought id post on here, i wasnt sure if anyones mentioned it on here before

I didn't know who he was referencing so I love that you took the time to post. Thanks!

2009 Q Awards – RP Acceptance Speech

2009 Q Awards – Grosvenor House Hotel, London.

Robert Plant wins: Outstanding Contribution to Music Award Robert’s Acceptance Speech:

In 1963 most bands passing through my town worked off the same sheet – Chicago R&B and early Motown identikit – packed with mail order arrogance and a taste for our local girls –

No social commentary just cash and penicillin…

One day the singer in a school Beat Group got sick – I stepped in –

Singing the songs was OK – what do you do with yourself in the guitar solos?

I gotta say I love his stream of consciousness stuff - it's what makes him stand apart just like all those quirky "plantations" from the 70s. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but I always listen/read because you never know when the magic will show up. Thanks for posting!

who talks shite Knebby?

RP. Not you :)

If it is jus an interest what do you do then? jus dont say nothing? im only new on here so i dont really know the rules of what u can make threads or what you cant.

Guess I would have put in the newbies section but I don't run the site so don't listen to me. Just thinking out loud. Carry on regardless ;)

Thats the one Steve, i knew there was other celebs couldnt remember, cheers mate for recapping me. Personally i like to know what make the man tick, so i do find this stuff interesting. Same goes for all of them. Theres some good stuff in Light and Shade too, Jimmy talks a little more of the esoteric stuff, not as much as id like though.

Well he first went to Bron yr aur with parents when he was a child. So possibly the interest came from there.

I was told by a local in Machynlleth that he thought he was, the guy was also part of the staff at Celtica, (a museum type place on the ancient Celts) Robert use to buy books from there. We;ll never know. It jus made me smile when he made reference to it in the latest press conference. It mentioned in Light and Shade too that before the reunion in the early 90's that Robert has started to read alot of the Celtic books and mythology again, So his interest has never faded :)

So his interest has never faded :)

In August 2002 he took his girlfriend to the Isle of Lewis for bird and otter watching as well as surveying Iron Age forts. His knowledge of central figures and events in the history of Celtic Britain is vast. I've wished for many years he'd do a documentary similar to what Bill Wyman did with Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey.

Yea i remember reading in an interview he'd been to the hebridies to see iron age forts. Didnt he say in the late 70's he;d considered becoming a teacher???

Id always been curious what his outtake was on Thelema and esoteric stuff, obvisiously because he was aware of all this being by Jimmy.

I saw an interview on youtube he done in Sweden i think in 2002(ish) and he mentions he believes in something of a Godhead but he didnt know what. I think the interviewer asked him what did he think happened to Karac and Bonzo. As i said earlier in this topic stuff like that interests me, as i like to know what makes the man tick. im probably just weird haha

Didnt he say in the late 70's he;d considered becoming a teacher???

I saw an interview on youtube he done in Sweden i think in 2002(ish) and he mentions he believes in something of a Godhead but he didnt know what. I think the interviewer asked him what did he think happened to Karac and Bonzo. As i said earlier in this topic stuff like that interests me, as i like to know what makes the man tick. im probably just weird haha

Yes, after the loss of Karac he briefly considered becoming a kindergarten teacher with the Rudolf Steiner School.

The Swedish interview is a program hosted by Carina Berg called Godnatt Sverige that aired April 20, 2005 on Channel 4 in Sweden.

She asked him a number of deeply personal questions but he didn't dodge any of them.

• 1 month later...

Archived