Tuned down a whole step

From what previews from this concert I have seen, it looks like every song they performed was played a whole step down. I guess this is so Robert can sing them. Better than nothing I guess.

Let's see how good you can do at 59. I am really sick of this BS...Robert can't hit the high notes anymore, Jimmy is not as fast as he was in his peak, Jason is a tosser compared to what his father was...Blah, blah, blah. Are you people serious? These people are all on social security and you expect the performance of a bunch of 20 somethings? Really? This bullshit reminds me of the bald, fat guy complaining to his friends about how his wife has gotten fat so he wants to bang other women, after all it is her fault for getting fat. However these people never see fault in themselves. Give me a break!

Every fan should be getting down on collective knee and thanking Robert, Jimmy, John Paul, and Jason for first getting together, second for performing an amazing show which far exceeded expectation, and finally releasing said performance to the public. It is simply amazing to me how ungrateful most supposed "fans" are, nothing but spoiled, petulant children pissed off that the power ranger toy they got was the wrong color.

Well I dont see anything bad in tuning down in the first place. So why would anyone bash anyone for doing it... I mean... we can state: "Some of the songs were tuned down", but its all there is. A statement. And why would anyone on Earth bash anyone else for stating such a thing.

Ok, they tuned down, nice, well done... any other enlightement?

Let's see how good you can do at 59. I am really sick of this BS...Robert can't hit the high notes anymore, Jimmy is not as fast as he was in his peak, Jason is a tosser compared to what his father was...Blah, blah, blah. Are you people serious? These people are all on social security and you expect the performance of a bunch of 20 somethings? Really? This bullshit reminds me of the bald, fat guy complaining to his friends about how his wife has gotten fat so he wants to bang other women, after all it is her fault for getting fat. However these people never see fault in themselves. Give me a break!

Every fan should be getting down on collective knee and thanking Robert, Jimmy, John Paul, and Jason for first getting together, second for performing an amazing show which far exceeded expectation, and finally releasing said performance to the public. It is simply amazing to me how ungrateful most supposed "fans" are, nothing but spoiled, petulant children pissed off that the power ranger toy they got was the wrong color.

Show me any band that doesn't tone down there voice and rearrange it when they get up in age! From what I've seen on Youtube everyone sounds great. And with the new Blu Ray coming out it will sound even better.

Jeff

I dunno, I saw the clips, I saw some of the bootleg stuff.

Absolutely the LAST thought I had was that the songs were tuned down a whole step. I never even noticed! Guess I am not much of an audiophile, and I bet about 80 percent of Zep fans won't notice it either!

Thought it was an amazing show, that they hit the ball out of the park, and easily reclaimed the crown for best live act. Just my humble opinion.

It might come as a shock to some but Robert Plant is human not a God...Every male's voice gets deeper as they age, it can't be changed unless you take a pair of vice grips and squeeze the nuts as hard as you can...

Hey! I said the same thing in another forum on this site! But unlike most people that WILL attack you for saying that I agree with you!

Jeff

^ Ain't that the truth. The late, great Andy Williams was able to keep about 75% of his voice until the end; Sinatra about 60%; Frankie Valli is the exception with about 80% but that is rare. The rockers, shit, they are lucky to keep 40 - 50% as they age and probably closer to 30% if they are belters like Plant, Daltrey, Reid, and Perry. Though out of that lot Perry has the best voice currently, but he never was a "real" belter like the others, more like Sam Cooke on steroids on some of the songs like Lady Luck and Back Talk. Then again, I don't think he ever performed those songs live though I may be wrong. IMO, the best example of an amazing voice going to shit in a short amount of time due to abuse is Maria Callas, the greatest opera singer of the 20th century. It only took her 10 years of drugs and alcohol to completely destroy her voice. Robert is no exception, he treated his voice like an amusement park for most of Zeppelin...smoking, late nights, alcohol, drugs, singing while deathly ill, etc... I am surprised the man can even sing much less refine his voice into the fine instrument he has. That alone is a miracle none of his contemporaries in his genre can claim in any way.

Rock on Robert, and once again thank you for such a fine, nuanced performance. CHEERS!!!

It might come as a shock to some but Robert Plant is human not a God...Every male's voice gets deeper as they age, it can't be changed unless you take a pair of vice grips and squeeze the nuts as hard as you can...

Actually he's a "Golden God"!

If tuning down meant we get this dvd then I'll take the tune downs.....I'm pretty sure that Black Sabbath, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Van Halen, to name a few, tuned down from time to time. I am sure there are a lot of others. I think we'll all get passed it if it.

Tune downs didn't rile me up at all. My enjoyment of LZ O2 is not predicated on comparison to previous versions, live/studio or other. I was grateful however that Plant didn't "quick phrase" and "short sing" like he had during the Page/Plant tours especially '98.

What I was looking for was the transitions between songs, the arrangments and in particular the alternate movements. Brilliant and singular.

...and

Kevin Shirley can suck it.

Tune downs didn't rile me up at all. My enjoyment of LZ O2 is not predicated on comparison to previous versions, live/studio or other. I was grateful however that Plant didn't "quick phrase" and "short sing" like he had during the Page/Plant tours especially '98.

Excellent point. The best review I read of the show at the time (forget who wrote it) pointed out that, unlike many other aging acts, Zeppelin didn't try to speed up their songs to make them sound more "current"; in fact they even slowed down the tempo a little bit on some tracks.

At any rate, Plant couldn't hit the high notes reliably in 1973, let alone 2007. So I'm glad to have a great performance, with 1/2 the songs in their original keys, some of the other half (like D&C) becoming interesting new versions as a result of down-tuing, great sound quality, and (finally) a really good, modern video aspect.

If I want to hear the songs in their original keys, with Robert's voice in its prime, I've got disc 1 of the LZ DVD, the BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won, and tons of fantastic 1969-71 bootlegs. If I want to hear the classic Zep sound when they were at their peak, I've got disc 2 of the DVD, TSRTS, and tons of fantastic 1973-77 boots.

And if I want to remind myself that while Zep always were great, it is indeed possible to stay in the original key and not deliver a performance as good as the O2, then I've got the 1980 boots.

But, but, but... they were supposed to be gods!

Agreed Sagittarius....at least Zep KNEW when "tuning down" was called for...I have seen some other older rockers not even acknowledge age and its painful to listen to...This was a classic show and actually Robert sounded better to me singing lower on a few songs...

they are gods. Ones who are intelligent enough to know they can both adapt their music and still pretty much pick up where they left off as far as performance.

Not gods, but just human. They just musically, functioned so well together (lack of a better word). Musically, they were the top of their class and really knew how to write, perform and bring things together as diverse as possible. The end result, fulfills us and has no bottom.

Archived