Bootlegs with a perfect balance of sound quality AND performance quality?

ForceofNature

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread. I am new to live Zeppelin having only owned their studio albums on CD and then bought the Classic Records vinyl around 5 years ago. I was playing The Song Remains the Same Classic Records reissue vinyl for the first time in a long time and I was blown away by the sound quality. I know it's a flawed album, but I have enjoyed cranking it up.

Can any of the shows mentioned in this thread match it in sound quality? I will check some out anyways, but I am just curious.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Is Bluecongo better than Keeper of the Seasons?

The Bluecongo matrix -called Four Blocks In The Snow- is considered by many to be the best sounding Zeppelin bootleg period. A mix of a pristine soundboard and a killer audience recording...it doesn't get much better than that, boys.

1 hour ago, Nutrocker said:

The Bluecongo matrix -called Four Blocks In The Snow- is considered by many to be the best sounding Zeppelin bootleg period. A mix of a pristine soundboard and a killer audience recording...it doesn't get much better than that, boys.

great. Found a "v2" - it is the bluecongo matrix though so grabbing that.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Four blocks in the snow is great, but you have to accept the artificial chorusing effect on the guitar that results from the audience source and soundboard still being milliseconds apart, even as close as the matrix/sync is. For that reason, I prefer the soundboard alone.

Lots of real good 2-12-75 shows around, it's so hard to choose.

As far as shows from 75 "Day's Confused" on EV doesn't get the love it deserves. IMO it holds up against any Seattle , Vancouver, LA or Earls Court Show.

For '73 Trentham Gardens , Stoke is under rated too. Big difference in some of the matrix but  Rizzlers, Winston or Soul Brothers are all great.

For '71 Winston's,  Arigato Osaka IMO is the definitive 929 show. Sometimes I'll skip over a 35-40 minute Dazed and Confused but NEVER on that matrix.

I really appreciate all the great work done by Mr. Winston , Bluecongo and Liquid Led (some others too). So many shows I wouldn't bother with if it weren't for these guys. Thank you.

When Godfather doesn't over do it they have made a ton of improvements to some seemingly lackluster boards as well.

7 hours ago, pluribus said:

Four blocks in the snow is great, but you have to accept the artificial chorusing effect on the guitar that results from the audience source and soundboard still being milliseconds apart, even as close as the matrix/sync is. For that reason, I prefer the soundboard alone.

Ha! Goes to show how often I listen to it, I never noticed the chorusing effect before :lol: That added effect might be kind of an improvement on Jimmy's guitar sound, actually...

• 4 weeks later...

I have 10 different versions of the 02-12-75 show and nearly all are very good to excellent, but some are truly excellent and the Bluecongo version definitely falls into that category.  I'm still wading through the new EVSD triple release. the 40th anniversary series. It's a real hard choice but for me, 'Led Zep' just shades it. It just seems a touch brighter than the others but that may just be me imagining that. The cover (below) is a pastiche of Elvis's first album and that seems to be the aim of the remixers (no label), to get a kind of raw exciting vibe. Honestly? Grab any version, you won't be disappointed.

Elvispresleydebutalbum.jpeg

fb_lz21275fb_f.jpg

• 10 months later...

Since I have a feeling this will change soon, here goes nothing. 1975 soundboards with an emphasis on balance between sound quality and performance quality. From memory, can't remember a few of them, fill in the blanks if you'd like. Just pick one that sounds as good as the best '75 boards, that is also well played.

Rock and Roll - 2/10

Sick Again - 3/19

Over the Hills and Far Away - 3/19

In My Time of Dying - 3/11

Since I’ve Been Loving You - 2/14

The Song Remains the Same - 3/3

The Rain Song - 2/28

Kashmir - 2/28

No Quarter - 2/28

Trampled Underfoot - 2/14

Moby Dick - undecided

Dazed and Confused - undecided

Stairway to Heaven - 2/28

Whole Lotta Love - undecided

Black Dog - undecided

Heartbreaker - 3/21

5 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Since I have a feeling this will change soon, here goes nothing. 1975 soundboards with an emphasis on balance between sound quality and performance quality. From memory, can't remember a few of them, fill in the blanks if you'd like. Just pick one that sounds as good as the best '75 boards, that is also well played.

Rock and Roll - 2/10

Sick Again - 3/19

The Rain Song - 2/28

Kashmir - 2/28

No Quarter - 2/28

Moby Dick - undecided

Black Dog - undecided

Heartbreaker - 3/21

I'll help you with your undecided's:

Moby Dick - 3/5

Dazed And Confused - 3/20 -- I know some have issues with this one's sound, but performance-wise, this and 2/13 are top-notch for Dazed

Also, I would go with 3/19 or 3/20 for No Quarter, and maybe 3/3 or 3/5 for Over The Hills, even though I love 3/19.  2/12 & 3/20 have great OTHAFA's too...

And I would have 2/13 Communication Breakdown in there.

12 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I'll help you with your undecided's:

Moby Dick - 3/5

Dazed And Confused - 3/20 -- I know some have issues with this one's sound, but performance-wise, this and 2/13 are top-notch for Dazed

Also, I would go with 3/19 or 3/20 for No Quarter, and maybe 3/3 or 3/5 for Over The Hills, even though I love 3/19.  2/12 & 3/20 have great OTHAFA's too...

And I would have 2/13 Communication Breakdown in there.

Good call! After looking at the list I wrote down around the time 2/10 or 3/3 soundboards came out, those were some of my choices! 3/20 Dazed was my first pick. I prefer the 2/10, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14, 2/16, 2/28 style No Quarters though, but for someone who prefers the faster versions later in the tour, 3/20 is your best bet. Also the 3/11 No Quarter kicks some MAJOR ASS. Its not a slow NQ but not a fast one either, its right in the middle, and Bonzo is on FIRE. Forgot Communication Breakdown, and for sound quality I'd say thats a better choice than 5/25/75.

wow, thats a lot of slashes (/) 

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2017 at 4:28 PM, Dirty Work said:

Rock and Roll - 2/10

Sick Again - 3/19

The Rain Song - 2/28

Kashmir - 2/28

No Quarter - 2/28

Moby Dick - undecided

Black Dog - undecided

Heartbreaker - 3/21

I'd personally vote for 2/28 for Moby Dick. I'm not even a huge fan of the drum solo, and even I have to admit Bonzo kicks major ass on that solo. This would be a great new topic to start after the new soundboard comes out within the next few weeks! B)

• 2 weeks later...
On April 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Dirty Work said:

Rock and Roll - 2/10

Sick Again - 3/19

The Rain Song - 2/28

Kashmir - 2/28

No Quarter - 2/28

Moby Dick - undecided

Black Dog - undecided

Heartbreaker - 3/21

Whew, definitely changing Stairway to 3/11/75. 2/28 is cool and unique, but I must have factored in the finger or something. 2/28 is such a great performance though.

Archived