Going To California: D-A-D-G-B-D

Hat's Off To Roy Harper: C-G-C-E-G-C

In My Time Of Dying: E-A-E-A-Db-E

Kashmir: D-A-D-G-A-D

Moby Dick: D-A-D-G-B-E

Ten Years Gone: Drop D

The Rain Song: D-G-C-G-C-D

That's the Way: Db-Gb-Db-Gb-Bb-Db

When The Levee Breaks/Traveling Riverside Blues/Dancing Days/ Black Country Woman: D-G-D-G-B-D

Mike

Here's a list Evster posted ages back, with a couple of slight mods by me:

WS/BMS - DADGAD

Moby Dick - DADGBE

Friends - CACGCE

That's The Way - DGDGBD

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - DGDGBD

Hat's Off - CGCGCE (CGCEGC ?)

Going to California - DADGBD

When the Levee Breaks - CFCFAC - (open G, down a tone)

Rain Song (studio) - DGCGCD

Rain Song (live) - EADADE

Dancing Days (live) - DGDGBD

In My Time Of Dying (studio)- EAEAC#E

In My Time Of Dying (live) - DGDGBD

Kashmir - DADGAD

Bron-Yr-Aur - CACGCE

Ten Years Gone - DADGBE

Black Country Woman - DGDGBD

Poor Tom - CACGCE

Midnight Moonlight - DADGAD

Jennings Farm Blues - EFCFAE ?

Travelling Riverside Blues - DGDGBD

Wonderful One (Double neck) -

- 6 string - F#F#C#F#C#F# (GGDGDG)

- 12 string - Standard tuning capo 1

City Don't Cry - EAEAC#E

Wah Wah - AEAEEA

No Quarter (on the "Unledded" Album) - DADGAD

As far as Celebrtion Day goes, although Page played the live versions in standard tuning on the studio take there are multiple guitar tracks, not all in the same tuning: IIRC the intro slide part that JPJ has said is him is an open tuning, and Page's guitars are in standard.

I thought "Most High" was DADGAD tuning - I'm not a pro musician like most around here, just a guy who plays his guitar in the hotel room before or after energy meetings - which I will be doing late tonight in fact because I'm heading out on the road again soon. "Most High" is a GREAT song by the way - one of Page's best to my ears!

Can someone tell me if it's regular or DADGAD?

Edited by Charles J. White

Thanks all for the very easy to access charts. What I hate about it is stretching my strings out and that is why I wish I had three or four guitars. But I just bought a brand new Taylor. A real beauty. Best acoustic/electric I have ever owned. I do miss my Les Paul but sometimes its alot easier to play acoustic because you can take it anywhere. Even though I used to have a small electric guitar amp that you could plug into your cigarette lighter in the car and blast away.

haven't visited this in a while, my notes and memory seem to line up with the scribemasters Evster & huw

In the Evening seems to have multiple tunings used as well in the background wash/reverse echo layers. Caroselambra, How Many More Times, Battle of Evermore and When the Levee Breaks do as well. I think in a few instances he removed strings from the guitar and kept just a primary and two sympathetic strings. What I years ago originally heard as a flanger now sounds more like he was using variable tape speed during pre/post production.

Here's a list Evster posted ages back, with a couple of slight mods by me:

WS/BMS - DADGAD

Moby Dick - DADGBE

Friends - CACGCE

That's The Way - DGDGBD

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - DGDGBD

Hat's Off - CGCGCE (CGCEGC ?)

Going to California - DADGBD

When the Levee Breaks - CFCFAC - (open G, down a tone)

Rain Song (studio) - DGCGCD

Rain Song (live) - EADADE

Dancing Days (live) - DGDGBD

In My Time Of Dying (studio)- EAEAC#E

In My Time Of Dying (live) - DGDGBD

Kashmir - DADGAD

Bron-Yr-Aur - CACGCE

Ten Years Gone - DADGBE

Black Country Woman - DGDGBD

Poor Tom - CACGCE

Midnight Moonlight - DADGAD

Jennings Farm Blues - EFCFAE ?

Travelling Riverside Blues - DGDGBD

Wonderful One (Double neck) -

- 6 string - F#F#C#F#C#F# (GGDGDG)

- 12 string - Standard tuning capo 1

City Don't Cry - EAEAC#E

Wah Wah - AEAEEA

No Quarter (on the "Unledded" Album) - DADGAD

As far as Celebration Day goes, although Page played the live versions in standard tuning on the studio take there are multiple guitar tracks, not all in the same tuning: IIRC the intro slide part that JPJ has said is him is an open tuning, and Page's guitars are in standard.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember that he would often use slightly different tunings when playing some of the songs live (ex. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp live he would play in open G rather than F, but for the most part these were simply key changes)

Also, I have no idea if he stayed in the same tuning for When the Levee Breaks on 'No Quarter.' (playing on the Ovation 12-string). Hard to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread more than makes up for the price of admission. Didn't know Ten Years was alt though--now I have to relearn my favourite song to play!

That is only Drop D. It simply changes what you play on the low E string. You can pretty much play the song either way with very little difference, but it is 'better' in drop D (for the droning low D at one specific point after/during the solo ------------ "Did you ever really need somebody, really need them bad..."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

"The Song Remains the Same" was followed in concert by "The Rain Song". How was that double neck Gibson tuned for those two songs in concert? If I remember correctly, weren't both necks used for both songs?

"The Song Remains the Same" was followed in concert by "The Rain Song". How was that double neck Gibson tuned for those two songs in concert? If I remember correctly, weren't both necks used for both songs?

The twelve string neck was standard tuning, the six string was tuned EADADE (basically the usual Rain song tuning, but a tone higher) - probably because you only have to change the tuning on 2 strings (G to A, and B to D) rather than four!

Pretty cool actually, because it brings The Rain Song into a key related to TSRTS so that Robert can hold that great long C over the Dm7 that ends TSRTS over the A5 that opens the Rain Song - a rather lovely minor plagal cadence.

Sorry for the geek-out there.

TSRTS was played entirely on the 12 string neck, Rain Song entirely on the 6 string neck.

Edited by woz70

The studio and live versions of Bron y aur stomp have different tunings and I think it's because Page did not want That's the way and Bron to be in the same key on the album.

The tuning mentioned above is the live tuning: DGDGBD

The studio is: CFCFAC

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
37 minutes ago, fede said:

What tuning in "Sons of Freedom" from Walking into Clarksdale??
I can't find even a tab

Baritone guitar I believe... Standard tuning down a fifth, so ADGCEA. 

Edited by woz70
Stupidity.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Can anyone tell me if “Fortune Hunter” from the Firm album is in standard tuning or not, and does anyone have a source for tabs?  I suspect the album version may use an alternate tuning, but I have been assured by people who saw him live on that tour, that “Fortune Hunter” followed right after “Closer” onstage, and “Closer” was obviously in standard tuning.  Anyone know?