Your Favourite Songs From Each Touring Year!

Strider

I was watching the Celebration Day press conference again and I was inspired by one of Jimmy Page's answers to start this thread. It was when he was talking about how songs in concert would mutate from year to year.

So the concept is fairly simple. From each year that the band played concerts, pick your favourite five songs from the setlist of that year. This covers Led Zeppelin years only, so 1968-1980 is the time frame. Since there aren't that many 1968 shows available, I am including combining 1968 and 1969.

In case you're confused, I'll start first, just to give you an example of how to play along.

1968-69:

1. As Long As I Have You/Fresh Garbage medley...I'll always remember how gobsmacked I was when I heard my first 1969 boot that had "As Long As I Have You" in the set(it was the 4-26-69 show). Since it wasn't on the first album or any official release, it took me by surprise how psychedelic and powerful and freewheeling it was. I have to imagine that for audiences seeing the band in 1968-69, this song was the first sign that Led Zeppelin was no mere Cream/Iron Butterfly/Jeff Beck Group-clone. They were a far different and stranger beast!

2. Dazed and Confused

3. Communication Breakdown...both of these songs were raw, primal and the closest to their original studio forms in this year than any others. CB live is actually better than the studio version...the guitar heavier and faster. It was metal and punk.

4. How Many More Times

5. Killing Floor

1970:

1. Whole Lotta Love…the crazy medleys!!!

2. Thank You

3. Heartbreaker

4. Communication Breakdown

5. Out on the Tiles...only two of them but they both slay!

1971:

1. Celebration Day...this is Led Zeppelin at its most unbridled. Black Sabbath could never sound this unhinged. Jimmy on the 12-string gives this song a completely different flavour and...well, I have said enough already about how I feel about Jones and Bonzo on the 1971 Celebration Days.

2. Since I've Been Loving You

3. Immigrant Song...savage and spacey...the best set opener Led Zeppelin ever had!

4. Thank You

5. Whole Lotta Love medleys

1972:

1. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp

2. Stairway to Heaven

3. Dazed and Confused

4. SIBLY

5. Going to California

1973:

1. The Song Remains the Same/Rain Song

2. The Ocean

3. Whole Lotta Love...the last medleys and they finally add the funky beat to the theremin segment.

4. SIBLY

5. Stairway to Heaven

1975:

1. Kashmir

2. No Quarter

3. In My Time of Dying

4. Whole Lotta Love-Crunge-Theremin medley

5. Trampled Underfoot

1977:

1. Kashmir

2. Achilles Last Stand

3. Ten Years Gone

4. Over the Hills and Far Away

5. Black Country Woman/Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp

1979:

1. Kashmir

2. Achilles Last Stand

3. Ten Years Gone

4. Hot Dog

5. In the Evening

1980:

1. Achilles Last Stand

2. Kashmir

3. Trampled Underfoot

4. In the Evening

5. Hot Dog

1968-69: Dazed and Confused, Communication Breakdown, How Many More Times, I Can't Quit You Baby

1970: Bring It On Home, Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused

1971: Since I've Been Loving You, Celebration Day, Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog

1972: The Ocean, Since I've Been Loving You, Heartbreaker

1973: Since I've Been Loving You, Stairway to Heaven, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love

1975: No Quarter, Stairway to Heaven, Sick Again, Over The Hills And Far Away, In My Time Of Dying

1977: No Quarter, The Song Remains The Same, In My Time of Dying, Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir

1979: No Quarter, Celebration Day, Black Dog, In The Evening, Kashmir

1980: Trampled Under Foot, All My Love, In The Evening, Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir

1968-1969:
How Many More Times, Killing Floor, Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused, Pat's Delight

1970:
White Summer/Black Mountain Side, Immigrant Song, Bring It on Home, Bron-Yr-Aur, Out on the Tiles

1971:
Stairway to Heaven, anything acoustic, Gallow's Pole, Four Sticks, Whole Lotta Love, medleys included (Especially 9/23/71, whoo boy!)

1972:
Tangerine, Dancing Days, What Is and What Should Never Be, Black Country Woman (I swear to god if a SBD of 6/19/72 ever shows up, I'll scream!) Whole Lotta Love

1973:
Celebration Day, Black Dog(works alot better with BIoH intro if ya ask me!), Misty Mountain Hop~Since I've Been Loving You, The Ocean, Organ Solo/Thank You

1975:
Sick Again, In My Time of Dying, Over the Hills and Far Away, When the Levee Breaks, Dazed and Confused

1977:
Everything!

1979:
Achilles' Last Stand, Hot Dog, In the Evening, Trampled Under Foot, Whole Lotta Love

1980:
Achilles' Last Stand, All My Love, Hot Dog, White Summer/Black Mountain Side~Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love

very cool idea for a list.....I'm gonna make it real, real tough here and do one for each year.....with three years in a dead-tie..

'68- "I Can't Quit You"

'69- "As Long As I Have You"

'70- "Thank You"

'71- "Celebration Day" / "Immigrant Song"

'72- "Over the Hills and Far Away"

'73- "Dazed and Confused" / "The Song Remains the Same"

'75- "Kashmir"

'77- "Achilles Last Stand" / "Sick Again"

'79- "In the Evening"

'80- never listened enough to have a strong opinion on these shows

'69- ALAIHY, Dazed, You Shook Me, HMMT, Killing Floor

'70- Immigrant Song, We're Gonna Groove, Bring It On Home, Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown

'71- Since I've Been Loving You, Dazed, Celebration Day, Whole Lotta Love, Thank You

'72- Whole, Dazed, Stairway, SIBLY, Heartbreaker

'73- SIBLY, Dazed, Song Remains The Same, Whole, Black Dog

'75- Sick Again, In My Time Of Dying, Song Remains The Same, No Quarter, Whole (Theremin Battle)

'77- No Quarter, Over The Hills, Achilles, Song Remains, Ten Years Gone

'79- Kashmir, Achilles, Ten Years Gone, In The Evening, Sick Again

'80- Kashmir, Achilles, In The Evening, Since I've Been Loving You, Rock And Roll

From the tours I witnessed:

August 1970 - Heartbreaker ~ Whole Lotta Love ~ Thank You

August 1971 - Immigrant Song ~ Since I've Been Loving You

May 1973 - Rock'N'Roll ~ Dazed And Confused

March 1975 - Dazed And Confused ~ Trampled Underfoot ~ Heartbreaker

April 1977 - Kashmir ~ The Song Remains The Same ~ Ten Years Gone

1969:

As Long As I Have You

For Your Love

Communication Breakdown

Dazed And Confused

Heart Breaker

1970:

We're Gonna Groove

I Can't Quit You

Communication Breakdown

Since I've Been Loving You

How Many More Times

Whole Lotta Love

1971:

Immigrant Song/Heartbreaker

Thank You

Whole Lotta Love

Black Dog

Stairway To Heaven

1972:

Immigrant Song/HeartBreaker

Acoustic Set

Dancing Days

Rock And Roll

1973:

Over The Hills And Far Away

The Song Remains The Same/Rain Song

Stairway To Heaven

Dazed And Confused

The Ocean

1975:

Stairway To Heaven

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

Over The Hills And Far Away

The Song Remains The Same/Rain Song

1977:

Kashmir

Achilles Last Stand

Ten Years Gone

No Quarter

1979:

Hot Dog

In The Evening

Kashmir

Achilles Last Stand

1980......well I can't really make a list because as embarrassing as it is, I have not heard any shows from that year.

• 1 month later...

.........good god.......you saw all these tours?.........that is remarkable.........what show(s) in '71 did you happen to catch???

......says you are in NY.....but judging from these dates I'd think that back in the 70's you were in the midwest, yeah???.......

1968/1969

-Train Kept a Rolling

-As Long As I Have You

-Communication Breakdown

-Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

-Whole Lotta Love

-Dazed and Confused

-Thank You

-Heartbreaker

-Celebration Day

-Four Sticks(The one time they do it)

-Black Dog

-Immigrant Song

-Going to California

-Stairway to Heaven

-Since I've Been Loving You

-Over the Hills and Far Away

-Rock and Roll

-Black Dog

-Thank You

-The Ocean

-When The Levee Breaks

-In My Time of Dying

-Stairway to Heaven

-Tangerine

-Over the Hills and Far Away

-No Quarter

-Ten Years Gone

-Kashmir

-Achilles Last Stand

-Whole Lotta Love

-Ten Years Gone

-In the Evening

-All My Love

-Kashmir

-Train Kept a Rolling

-Hot Dog

1968/69 Communication Breakdown, Baby I Am Gonna Leave You, Train Kept A Rollin, As long as I have you, How many more times

1970 Bron yr Aur, White Summer, Blueberry Hill (only once played),Bring It On Home, Out On The Tiles

1971 Stairway To Heaven, Tangerine, Thank You, Celebration Day, That's The Way

1972 Whole Lotta Love ( Dat Medley!),Black Dog, The Ocean, Heartbraker, Going To California

1973 Rock n Roll, Dancing Days , No Quarter, Dazed And Confused, Since I ve Been lovin you

1975 Trampled Under Foot, Over The Hills N Far Away, Rain Song, In Time Of Dying, Sick Again

1977 Everything !! ( As it was said above)

1979/80 ( I always consider them as one) Hot Dog, In The Evening, Money (from Frankfurt),All My Love,Black Mountain Side

1970 Bron yr Aur, White Summer, Blueberry Hill (only once played),Bring It On Home, Out On The Tiles

Thanks for the contribution, LiveWire, and the other recent posters.

Just a little note: "Blueberry Hill" was played at leaat twice on the 1970 tour...on Sept. 4 and Sept. 19(evening show). There may be other renditions from that year that we don't know about because of a lack of recorded documentation.

How did I miss this thread??!! OK, if we are only limited to 5 each year I have to really think about this. I'll try to have a contribution to this by the end of the weekend. :peace: I see a great thread in the making.

Don't worry about it, Deb...I miss threads all the time. It's impossible to read everything here. I've probably only read 10% to 20% of the forum content.

Thanks for the contribution, LiveWire, and the other recent posters.

Just a little note: "Blueberry Hill" was played at leaat twice on the 1970 tour...on Sept. 4 and Sept. 19(evening show). There may be other renditions from that year that we don't know about because of a lack of recorded documentation.

I believe the song was also played on 2nd in Oakland

I don't know enough to answer this fully, but here is a partial response:

1969 - As Long as I Have You (Strider, I just had a similar experience to yours with this song - even though I have a few '69 shows, I didn't listen to that song until a few days ago when I listened to the 4/24/69 Dancing Avocado version, just blew my mind), Pat's Delight, HMMT

1970 - Communication Breakdowns with interior jams/medleys

1971 - Four Sticks (only played once, in Copenhagen , just about my favorite slice of Live Zep so far, can't imagine why they never played it again), Tangerine in Japan (because in many ways it is my favorite Zep tune, period).

(and a lot of their covers in the 69-72 period, because its such a nice departure from the albums - Blueberry Hill, C'mon Everybody, Stand By Me, etc

1972 - Don't know enough yet (all I have is the Charlotte show and HTWWW). Dancin' Days maybe...

1973 - No Quarter (and pretty much every song played at Offenburg :)

1975 - Acoustic set - Earl's Court, natch (there ya go Strider and Sue), but again, all I have to go on besdes the DVD is a few shows, such as Dallas. Need to get the 2-12 MSG show

1977 - SRTS, Ten Years Gone (I know there were sloppy shows that year, but I don't get the antipathy towards this year - SRTS for example is machine-gun like perfection, even compared to earlier versions. Bonham is possessed). Openers in earlier years, such as Rock and Roll, sometimes sound like warmups to me - but SRTS kicks ass from the first notes in a lot of 77 shows. Oh yeah, and I'm a sucker for the 30 minute No Quarters - I love Jonesy's classical piano bits.

1979 - Don't know enough yet, planning to get all four of these shows soon, second night of Copenhagen tops my list (I do love the re-worked Whole Lotta Love though, there are more riffs in the interior jam than most bands come up with in their whole career)

1980 - Those of you who have not heard this year should try some. I had a friend who really liked '80, so my CDR collection is heavier on that year than is probably normal, heh - I like the Zurich show 6-29-80. The Train Kept a Rollin' is one of the heaviest, punkest things in Zep history, jaw dropping wah-fest. Lots of slop in that show too, but there is something about the stripped down crunge-y thing they were doing that year.....

• 2 weeks later...

69 everything all good all the time

70 everything all good all the time

71 everything all good all the time

72 Immigrant Song, Dazed

73 SIHBLY, Heartbreaker>WLL

75 No Quarter

77 Song Remains the Same>Rover, No Quarter, Achillies

79 In tthe Evening

There are exeptions all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

69 as long as i have you, communication breakdown, how many more times, train kept a rollin, you shook me

70, 71, 72

I am mostly familiar with bbc recordings, htww, and one bootleg studio daze, with dancing days and what is and what should never be. bbc, thank you, communication breakdown. htww bron yraur stomp and bring it on home

73 the song remains the same, the ocean, dazed, stairway, misty mountain hop

75 over the hills and far away, kashmir, in my time of dying, rain song, trampled

77 achilles, no quarter, the battle of evermore, kashmir, going to california

80 in the evening, achilles, black dog, all my love, whole lotta love

• 4 weeks later...

1969 -As Long As I Have You & I Can't Quit You Babe

1970 -Thank You

1971 -Since I've Been Loving You

1972- Over The Hills And Far Away..when Robert can sing it in the higher register

1973 - The Song Remains The Same & No Quarter

1975 - Kashmir

1977 - Ten Years Gone & Kashmir

1979 - Kashmir & Achilles Last Stand

1980 - Achilles Last Stand & Nobody's Fault But Mine

Great thread here, just noticed it myself!

1968-69: Train Kept a Rollin, I Can't Quit You Babe, Pat's Delight, Communication Breakdown, Killing Floor (my favorite Whole Lotta Love all time is that first June BBC creation, so special mention here)

1970: Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, That's the Way, Bring It on Home, How Many More Times

1971: Immigrant Song, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Going to California, That's The Way

1972: Immigrant Song, Since I've Been Loving You, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Dancing Days, Over The Hills and Far Away

1973: Celebration Day, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, The Song Remains The Same, No Quarter

1975: Sick Again, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir, Stairway To Heaven, Heartbreaker

1977: The Song Remains The Same, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Ten Years Gone, Black Country Woman-Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Achilles Last Stand

1979: Over The Hills and Far Away, Ten Years Gone, Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir, In The Evening

1980: In The Evening, Trampled Underfoot, Achilles Last Stand, Heartbreaker, Communication Breakdown

Archived