What Are You Doing Today?

Charles J. White

16 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

Forgive me for asking, but what is a "car boot sale"?

A car boot sale is where people sell bits and pieces that they don't want. Generally held at the weekend, the name derives from when people would open the boots of the car ( you call it The trunk) and punters would walk by and maybe buy something they wanted ( or generally not but it made them feel good),

Latterly the boots have become tables and the goods sold are new and sometimes counterfeit or smuggled goods like Tobacco, Of course the trading standards wankers are usually floating around and will nick you at the sight of a 50 gram pouch of Samson with Spanish writing on the packet.

The larger ones make considerable amounts of money and many farmers open their land to cash in. No surprise there.  Cars and tables or pitches can vary from £25 up to £50 a pop, I hate them personally as I feel a bit embarrassed looking at a table full of CD's of Haircut 100 , jigsaws of horses  or used baby clothes with dried in puke on them.

If ever you do go to one these be wary of the car drivers enemy. The Traffic Enforcement officer. These sad, Megalomaniacs always appear at Car Boots, or any gathering held at the weekend in fact. Issuing parking tickets like flyers at a cheap Ibiza nightclub, if you dare to park within an inch over the line or where the yellow line appears. Making that trip out very expensive indeed even if you did buy that Beautiful South CD for ten bob.

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

A car boot sale is where people sell bits and pieces that they don't want. Generally held at the weekend, the name derives from when people would open the boots of the car ( you call it The trunk) and punters would walk by and maybe buy something they wanted ( or generally not but it made them feel good),

Latterly the boots have become tables and the goods sold are new and sometimes counterfeit or smuggled goods like Tobacco, Of course the trading standards wankers are usually floating around and will nick you at the sight of a 50 gram pouch of Samson with Spanish writing on the packet.

The larger ones make considerable amounts of money and many farmers open their land to cash in. No surprise there.  Cars and tables or pitches can vary from £25 up to £50 a pop, I hate them personally as I feel a bit embarrassed looking at a table full of CD's of Haircut 100 , jigsaws of horses  or used baby clothes with dried in puke on them.

If ever you do go to one these be wary of the car drivers enemy. The Traffic Enforcement officer. These sad, Megalomaniacs always appear at Car Boots, or any gathering held at the weekend in fact. Issuing parking tickets like flyers at a cheap Ibiza nightclub, if you dare to park within an inch over the line or where the yellow line appears. Making that trip out very expensive indeed even if you did buy that Beautiful South CD for ten bob.

Man you speak a whole different language, lol! I am guessing that punters are people who are looking for a cheap deal, wankers are bad people, to nick someone is to undercut their price, pitches are tents, and bob is a form of currency!

10 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

Man you speak a whole different language, lol! I am guessing that punters are people who are looking for a cheap deal, wankers are bad people, to nick someone is to undercut their price, pitches are tents, and bob is a form of currency!

We do indeed. Let me fill you in:

Punters: Correct. Buyers in other words

Wankers: A very derogatory term for sort of bad people. You call it masturbate (for a man)

Nick: To be arrested by the police

Pitches: An area for setting up the table to sell. It also means pitching a tent

Bob: An old term for a "shilling". Pre decimalisation currency in the UK. You have to be a certain age to remember what 10 Bob is. 

• 2 weeks later...

In my little world, I'm declaring today (Saturday, the 25th of March, 2017) as Live Albums day! 

No need to fuckin' work! No need to be on bloody Skype, expecting calls from the boss! No need to check my blooming office email! 

I'm just going to sit down and listen to live albums and of course, do my chores, as usual! :D 

17 hours ago, craigled said:

Worked. Did some food shopping for the family. Made a appointment and paid a deposit for a Rugby tattoo to be done next Tuesday. Then watched Rugby on the telly. A nice end to the week.

Hey Craigled, what tattoo you getting?

5 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

Hey Craigled, what tattoo you getting?

Getting the Worcester Warriors badge on the top of my left arm. The only one missing from all the things that are special in life to me. My kids initials, Everton, Zep and Goldfrapp. I have got them already. I should have had the Worcester one ages ago.

45 minutes ago, craigled said:

Getting the Worcester Warriors badge on the top of my left arm. The only one missing from all the things that are special in life to me. My kids initials, Everton, Zep and Goldfrapp. I have got them already. I should have had the Worcester one ages ago.

Cool Craigled, you're my best bro on here!

Not a bad day overall. I had plenty of free-time. Got my Worcester Warriors tattoo done. Relaxed in the sun. Well it was not that warm. But a bit of sun got to my already brown face. Then watched the best team in the land. Back to normal tomorrow though.

Edited by craigled

• 2 weeks later...