What Are You Doing Today?

Charles J. White

More from Clarksdale, Mississippi 

image.thumb.jpeg.13718e36bb70379cde340ed

We are staying at the Shack Up Inn, this is a pic of a couple of the 'shacks' you can stay in, very unique!

image.thumb.jpeg.8b8469319e00a60aa04c24a

Our room is in the main building. It has a balcony with this view overlooking the main area and stage.  Sadly, there is no music scheduled for tonight, although we hear that there are often unscheduled musicians.  In the meantime, I'm sitting in a rocking chair on the balcony, listening to The Ocean.  Life is good.

We visited the Delta Blues museum today, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice Led Zeppelin plaque presented to the museum in appreciation for the delta blues.  It was a collage of all of the LZ albums, presented by Robert Plant.  There was also a traveling exhibit of the cypress log cabin that Muddy Waters lived in.  Cool stuff!

58 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

We are staying at the Shack Up Inn, this is a pic of a couple of the 'shacks' you can stay in, very unique!

Our room is in the main building. It has a balcony with this view overlooking the main area and stage.  Sadly, there is no music scheduled for tonight, although we hear that there are often unscheduled musicians.  In the meantime, I'm sitting in a rocking chair on the balcony, listening to The Ocean.  Life is good.

We visited the Delta Blues museum today, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice Led Zeppelin plaque presented to the museum in appreciation for the delta blues.  It was a collage of all of the LZ albums, presented by Robert Plant.  There was also a traveling exhibit of the cypress log cabin that Muddy Waters lived in.  Cool stuff!

Looks cool, Debbie! I can almost hear that slide guitar from 'In My Time of Dying' after looking at that first pic!

Right now...just having a couple of shots while watching the STP DVD I just had delivered.  Unfortunately it was a region 2 DVD (WTF!?!) so I had to purchase an international DVD player.  Found a Samsung for $35 through Amazon.  Now I can also watch some JBT dvd's from Oz I've had for a while, but have never been able to.  Win-win!  Mrs Walter says I'm obsessive right now about STP, but since Scott's death I haven't been able to watch/listen to much else.  Zeppelin has even been put aside, for a little while. ;) 

9 hours ago, Strider said:

That's so rad...you're a cool lady, Dd! :toast:

Just watch out for Beezlebub.

:friends: 

4 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Looks cool, Debbie! I can almost hear that slide guitar from 'In My Time of Dying' after looking at that first pic!

It was fun to be here, and you really do feel the blues vibes everywhere you go.  We heard that Red's Lounge was a must see, and while there wasn't any music in his place tonight, we stopped by anyhow and had a nice chat with him.  He is quite the character and has certainly seen many great blues musicians over the years.  The walls of his juke joint are covered with photos, and he takes me straight to the photo of him and Robert Plant.  Can you tell I'm a LZ fan by just looking at me!? :wub:  I asked him to tell me his favorite Robert Plant story, and he readily told me one.  But don't worry Robert, it was very benign. ;)  We went to Hambone Gallery to see the one live act in Clarksdale tonight, Sean 'Bad' Apple.  It was a fun and very friendly atmosphere, and pretty good musician as well.  We have been told several times today that most folks who visit Clarksdale are from overseas.  While that was somewhat surprising, it was my first time there, and I live in Mississippi.  

1 hour ago, Ddladner said:

It was fun to be here, and you really do feel the blues vibes everywhere you go.  We heard that Red's Lounge was a must see, and while there wasn't any music in his place tonight, we stopped by anyhow and had a nice chat with him.  He is quite the character and has certainly seen many great blues musicians over the years.  The walls of his juke joint are covered with photos, and he takes me straight to the photo of him and Robert Plant.  Can you tell I'm a LZ fan by just looking at me!? :wub:  I asked him to tell me his favorite Robert Plant story, and he readily told me one.  But don't worry Robert, it was very benign. ;)  We went to Hambone Gallery to see the one live act in Clarksdale tonight, Sean 'Bad' Apple.  It was a fun and very friendly atmosphere, and pretty good musician as well.  We have been told several times today that most folks who visit Clarksdale are from overseas.  While that was somewhat surprising, it was my first time there, and I live in Mississippi.  

:thumbsup:

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Ddladner said:

Hope you're having a great time there. I've been to Clarksdale and the surrounding area a couple of times when Robert was there. 

You should also go to Tutwiler, which is a short drive away. There's a marker there for WC Handy at the old train station marking the birth of the blues. Also, Sonny Boy Williamson's grave is in the area if you can find it... a bit hidden.

43 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

Hope you're having a great time there. I've been to Clarksdale and the surrounding area a couple of times when Robert was there. 

You should also go to Tutwiler, which is a short drive away. There's a marker there for WC Handy at the old train station marking the birth of the blues. Also, Sonny Boy Williamson's grave is in the area if you can find it... a bit hidden.

Thanks, Sam!  There really is a lot to see and learn about the blues in Mississippi.  We left Clarksdale earlier today and are now back in Oxford visiting my daughter.  We want to plan another trip back to Clarksdale when my boys can join us.  Next time we will plan a little better to see more artists, and I'll be sure to go to Tutwiler!  Thanks for sharing the video.  Robert has a special place in his heart for Clarksdale (and surrounding areas), and I can tell that the feeling is mutual. His name came up repeatedly in conversations.  

On 1/19/2016 at 11:53 PM, Ddladner said:

Walking into Clarksdale.

image.thumb.jpeg.dede54242e66cf17b9f044e

On 1/19/2016 at 4:00 AM, Ddladner said:

Wow! That looks fantastic, Debbie! Being a pretty big fan of the legendary Robert Johnson, the song Crossroads started echoing in my head! You can just sense the beautiful sound of the slide guitar echoing every where! Thank you so much for sharing these awesome photos! :friends: I really enjoyed looking at them! I hope to one day, visit these places myself. I also hope to visit the Dockery Plantation, where it all began! :D 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

10 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Wow! That looks fantastic, Debbie! Being a pretty big fan of the legendary Robert Johnson, the song Crossroads started echoing in my head! You can just sense the beautiful sound of the slide guitar echoing every where! Thank you so much for sharing these awesome photos! :friends: I really enjoyed looking at them! I hope to one day, visit these places myself. I also hope to visit the Dockery Plantation, where it all began! :D 

Thanks, Kiwi, glad you enjoyed the pics!  There is something about the blues and especially that hauntingly beautiful sound of the slide guitar that makes you want more.  I would love to visit many more of the historical blues markers and juke joints. 

15 minutes ago, ebk said:

^^ Enjoy!  Happy birthday to the little one!!

Today, I'm doing absolutely nothing...

IMG_20160123_110011_zps6ndfayyo.jpg

I hope some enterprising kids come around and want to shovel.

Reminds me of growing up in upstate Nee York.  Here it's 46, but feels like temp is 38. :freezing:  The four of us are bundled up in bed together, watching Fallon on the dvr from earlier this week.  Cole puppy has his sweater on.  Coldest day here in a looooong time...

Stay safe up there, I've been watching tweets of all sorts of different car accidents, snow shoveling, and crazy wind with blowing snow.

42 minutes ago, ebk said:

^^ Enjoy!  Happy birthday to the little one!!

Today, I'm doing absolutely nothing...

IMG_20160123_110011_zps6ndfayyo.jpg

I hope some enterprising kids come around and want to shovel.

Oh wow!  The cars are completely covered!  It looks beautiful with the clean snow and icicles hanging but know it won't be so beautiful when it's time to clean up.  Hope you have a nice warm fire going inside, stay safe.

6 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

Oh wow!  The cars are completely covered!  It looks beautiful with the clean snow and icicles hanging but know it won't be so beautiful when it's time to clean up.  Hope you have a nice warm fire going inside, stay safe.

Not looking forward to the cleanup.  But it is cozy inside today.  We have a woodstove in the living room, so if we lose power, at least we won't freeze.  

And there's plenty of wine! :D 

Dd, great photos of Clarksdale and sounds like you had  a great time:-) Thanks for sharing.

ledded, happy birthday to your little grandson:-)

ebk, we only got about 2 inches if snow here, but the ice on the back roads is pretty bad. I just lost power for about an hour. The wind gust are really high today. So I am with you, a good day to stay home bundled up and watch movies and listen to music....and hope the power stays on!   

3 hours ago, ebk said:

Not looking forward to the cleanup.  But it is cozy inside today.  We have a woodstove in the living room, so if we lose power, at least we won't freeze.  

And there's plenty of wine! :D 

I wouldn't even want to think about losing power, but I suppose the chances are fairly high if there is a lot of snow and ice.  In the south, we do lots of things to prepare for hurricanes, I suspect you do the same when there are snow/ice storms. Hopefully the worst will pass soon and in the meantime, I hope you get to watch lots of great movies.

And drink lots of great wine! :toast: 

2 hours ago, Deborah J said:

Dd, great photos of Clarksdale and sounds like you had  a great time:-) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Deb!  We had a great time and I'm still humming the blues! :) 

Edited by Ddladner