Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

rehearsal dvd is soooooooo mint, so what if it looks like crap on the big screen? it honestly feels like you're getting a copy of a home movie bootleg, but with soundboard audio and it's cool because your eyes can sort of wander and focus on whatever you want, plus at least you have the video screen behind the band which shows a lot of what the pro cameras are picking up anyways.

as for the actual main event dvd, top notch phenomenal stuff. For the people who early on said the bass was too low in some places, at least in trampled underfoot, they have it front and center and super loud with those bass pedals absolutely making my subwoofer pump like crazy. Give Jonesy a ton of credit, the two solos he gets to rip off during the show in Trampled and No Quarter are absolutely phenomenal especially considering he keeps them so tight and concise.

Planty is just mindblowing, the dvd really shows how into it he was and how much fun he was having with the boys. Obviously, Page just gets better and more confident as the actual show goes on such that by the end of Whole Lotta Love he's absolutely strutting around like it's '73 again and he owns the place. The younger bonzo obviously holds this whole ship together and provides a great backing to the songs as well as his own little flavor.

My one thing i don't get is why they only half-corrected the dazed and confused trainwreck, I feel like they got the second half right by just overdubbing the same drum rolls twice, I just don't get why they didn't cut a bar or two from when it first starts to go off the rails to help it flow better, but alas that's their artistic decision and what the hell, we have the rehearsal dvd where they play it perfectly anyway, so this is just a minor gripe.

Such a shame that this crew seemingly will never hit the road together again, they truly seemed to have a vital power to them on that night such that it wasn't nostalgia, it was them bringing what they had way back when into the new millenium, something i think they could have developed into a longer, more interesting final chapter.

Thanks for the package boys, it's beautiful and awesome and oh such a very nice early xmas gift.

I saw it a week ago at the Belcourt theater here in Nashville, TN. It was only playing that night. I would say the theater was at 60% capacity. A lot of people for a Tuesday night but definitely not sold out.

I had seen videos on youtube of the show long before, as well as a preview clip of black dog (I guess taken from a sound check) and from what I saw before the movie I didn't expect too much. Good but not great.

The movie itself is fantastic. The sound quality, the close ups on stage were all great. They all played almost perfectly for their age and It really moved me. I was born after Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 so a theater performance is the closest I will get to seeing them live. I was drinking a beer that wasn't all that great (the selection at the theater wasn't very good but I wanted a beer to drink while experiencing this "concert") but it made me a little buzzed. I think I got particularly moved by SIBLY and IMTOD. SIBLY is one of my all time favorite zep songs. I did not like the live version from TSRTS because it didn't have much feeling but this version was straight blues. IMTOD was just perfect. I loved seeing the on stage chemistry.

Seeing this concert took me back to the beginning. All the times I visited my dad as a kid he'd pick me and my sis up from the airport and we'd hear Led Zeppelin playing in the mid 90's. He had purchased the box set I on cassette. It was like hearing the songs over for the first time again, a truly magical experience and it reminded me that they are the greatest band ever.

I think the most amazing thing about The Celebration Day concert, is the fact that its just the four of them on stage. They still have the power coming out, with just the four musicians! Thge Who, The Stones, all the older groups have like 10 other people on stage! Thats just a testament to the talent of THE Mighty Led Zeppelin! Just THE best!

Watched the blue-ray version last night. OUTSTANDING !!

A couple things were obvious, even after one viewing. Jimmy's pinky is a problem, and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with his limited solos. He did fine without it, and even used it on WLL, but he seemed to struggle with keeping it out of the way.

Dazed and Confused is a train wreck in a very Zeppelin sort of way. Seemed to me Jimmy had some technical problems during the bow solo, and there were a couple moments they lost their place.

TSRTS simply Rocks ! Jason shines, Jimmy shines, and the band is tight as all hell....loved it !

For Your Life is right on the money, and the fat sound of Jimmy's guitar during NFBM is simply awesome.

I laughed aloud at one point during WLL. Robert's peering at Jimmy thru his hair, and all you see is one big eye-ball.....he looks like Igor in "Young Frankenstein".....don't know how else to describe it.

All in all, a great performance. They must have been happy as shit to have pulled this off. It really really works for me.

Bought the blue-ray without the rehearsal disc. The deluxe package isn't available at Best Buy until the 27th, but I couldn't wait. I figure that still gives me something to look forward to.

I think the most amazing thing about The Celebration Day concert, is the fact that its just the four of them on stage. They still have the power coming out, with just the four musicians! Thge Who, The Stones, all the older groups have like 10 other people on stage! Thats just a testament to the talent of THE Mighty Led Zeppelin! Just THE best!

+1

This is something I really like about Zeppelin as well - no second drummer, guitarist, backup singers, and such. Just four guys on stage. I find it depressing to see bands like The Who with all those backing musicians.

+1

This is something I really like about Zeppelin as well - no second drummer, guitarist, backup singers, and such. Just four guys on stage. I find it depressing to see bands like The Who with all those backing musicians.

Don't forget about JPJ feet, now we realize just how much they're a 5th member of Zep... Playing bass pedals while he is on keyboards with those gorgeous boots!

What talent and style!!! :)

Just got it and watching the O2 now....really great! What a treasure! Will watch Shepperaton eventually too.....

P.S.- I am really really biased but I am so friggin glad this band found me and I found it 30plus years ago.

I watched it on Blu-Ray last night! The Blu-Ray looks and sounds absolutely stunning! The show is absolutely incredible as everyone already knows, My favorite performances of the night are: Since I've Been Loving You, For Your Life, In My Time Of Dying, Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot and Rock 'N' Roll. But every song is enjoyable.

Incredible to see and hear such a hot performance. So many highlights.

Unfortunately I find the editing to be too fast paced for me.

i felt like the editing was appropriate by song. For example, SIBLY has some really nice long lingering shots of jimmy soloing and doesn't jump around, but the more aggressive faster songs sort of have faster camera work. Overall, very tasteful stuff on carruthers' end.

Just watching O2, "Dazed and Confused"....look for the quick mirror image of Page during the bow solo. I wonder if that was a little homage to The Song Remains the Same?

.....no matter what (re: tune downs), Plant friggin sings his ass off in this entire concert....

Indeed. That's the one thing (in addition to the weak lead guitar and Mick's declining vox) that I hate about the Stones now. Their Las Vegas lounge act, with 15 different supporting people. Bleh.

But to get back on point, I knew this would be good....but not THIS good. WOW. :D

I really like that quick black and white shot of Jimmy's profile in the spotlight during the intro to Stairway.

Compliments to JPJ for going with the straight black shirt with a hint of sequence. People will be watching this 50 years from now. Black's never out of style. Christmas bulbs and fruit are ! The guy is playing foot pedals with pointed cowboy boots,,,damn fine ones too. JPJ has two looks during this show....mouth open and intense....or a very satisfying smile. What a rock !!

Amazing how Robert's voice gets stronger as the show goes on. He's started out rough at a few solo performances I've seen thru the years, but by the end of the night, everything is stretched out and in it's proper place. Same goes with this show. At one point, those push push pushes mean let's go go go go...I'm ready ! The step-down in Stairway is a bit of bummer, because after watching the whole performance, I'm left wondering why did you bother ?

After watching Jimmy, JPJ, and Jason interact on stage, much of what happened after the O2 becomes a little more clear. They were musically hot as shit during this show, and after watching this video, I had the very first thoughts of what could have been if they continued in some form, with or without Plant. Certainly you can't blame them for trying to have explored continuing in some form.

It was never lost on me that the ballsiest thing these four guys could do at that point in their professional lives, was play a full Led Zeppelin concert in front of some very demanding fans, and they pulled it off with gusto. F*CKIN 'EH BRAVO to the greatest band that ever was !

i felt like the editing was appropriate by song. For example, SIBLY has some really nice long lingering shots of jimmy soloing and doesn't jump around, but the more aggressive faster songs sort of have faster camera work. Overall, very tasteful stuff on carruthers' end.

Please do not misunderstand me. Celebration day is incredible.

I would have preferred the entire concert with editing similar to the pace of SIBLY and NQ even the faster songs.I do prefer the lingering shots.

As exciting as the dvd is I do actually think something is lost with the quicker edits. What is that something I'm having trouble putting into words. Maybe it's easier for me to get a sense of the overall musical and visual presentation. I've got a couple hours tonight I'm going to watch the concert again in its entirety.

I would have preferred the entire concert with editing similar to the pace of SIBLY and NQ even the faster songs.I do prefer the lingering shots.

As exciting as the dvd is I do actually think something is lost with the quicker edits. What is that something I'm having trouble putting into words. Maybe it's easier for me to get a sense of the overall musical and visual presentation. I've got a couple hours tonight I'm going to watch the concert again in its entirety.

no i know what you're talking about, i too prefer the longer lingering shots, was just sort of explaining why it seems they edited it the way they did. If you're a fan of long lingering shots, the rehearsal dvd is RIGHT up you're alley, just one angle for two hours in standard definition.

still loving this package as a whole, definitely great to finally have it out there and documented, this one last legendary show together.

Watching it on Blu Ray right now...amazing! Better the second time, as I saw it in the theater. Hearing it on my Yamaha/JBL sounds around and Big screen is even better!

This is surely a concert to be enjoyed numerous times...IMTOD, For Your Life and Kashmir totally slay me. Picking up little nuances missed first time, what a treat!

Tomorrow i will give the audio CD's a spin as I cruise around town!

Oh and it would be remiss of me not to mention that JPJ is a monster on the Bass!! simply the best

For some insane reason the producer just thinks they can simulate the excitement on stage with these quick shots like this. I would have prefered more stage shots, from different angles and up close stage shots to up close shots of them, just like at a concert. Also, one of the greatest guitar players in rock and we don't get any close ups of him during his solos as much as we would like.

Jeff

I've listened too the 'Dress Rehearsal' twice!

Listened too the CD's in my Silverado for two days,.....

I watched the actual Concert last nite,....

The Boys are Bad!!!

They all AMPED it up another notch or two, for the 02 Performance,...imho

I did not hear One Squek cumn from a Speed King dough!

FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE and it is a 'TREAT' for Young and Old!

Les Pauls RULE!!!

I've listened too the 'Dress Rehearsal' twice!

Listened too the CD's in my Silverado for two days,.....

I watched the actual Concert last nite,....

The Boys are Bad!!!

They all AMPED it up another notch or two, for the 02 Performance,...imho

I did not hear One Squek cumn from a Speed King dough!

FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE and it is a 'TREAT' for Young and Old!

Les Pauls RULE!!!

:o

no i know what you're talking about, i too prefer the longer lingering shots, was just sort of explaining why it seems they edited it the way they did. If you're a fan of long lingering shots, the rehearsal dvd is RIGHT up you're alley, just one angle for two hours in standard definition.

still loving this package as a whole, definitely great to finally have it out there and documented, this one last legendary show together.

For some insane reason the producer just thinks they can simulate the excitement on stage with these quick shots like this. I would have prefered more stage shots, from different angles and up close stage shots to close shots of them, just like at a concert. Also, one of the greatest guitar players in rock and we don't get any close ups of him during his solos as much as we would like.

Jeff

A couple of nights ago I watched the concert in its entirety. Prior to this I had been watching a couple songs here and there as time allowed. Watching the concert in its entirety helped me to better see the overall presentation with some balance of the slower editing with the faster editing. But overall I stilo prefer the lingering slower shots as we've discussed.

I'd much rather focus on the positives. All in all the I would say the performance is so hot and the quality of the picture and sound is so good that it's just incredible to watch even if it's edited not to my preference.

Oh and it would be remiss of me not to mention that JPJ is a monster on the Bass!! simply the best

I wanted to second your comment supporting JPJ. Wow, is just awesome and heartwarming to see JPJ playing the bass with such grace, mastery, dexterity, enjoyment, etc.. Lots of great shots of JPJ jamming. TSRTS takes me away.

Archived