Celebration Day Movie - Forum Reviews

SuperDave

Just back from seeing it at Event Cinemas, Tuggerah (Australian east coast). Using SuperDave's format for a quickie wink.png before I dash off to several other forums (notably Joe Bonamassa's and My Les Paul) to implore those in later time zones to NOT MISS THIS MOVIE

Sound

I thought it wasn't loud enough at the beginning but was turned up not too long into the show. The quality and clarity of the mix and surround effect was sensational

Visuals

What has been edited here is just amazing. I guess there was many cameras the choose such intimate, close, expressive action from. There was more view of and from the crowd than I'd expected from earlier reviews. The incorporation of the computer graphics on the video screen into the movie at certain times was great, most notably in Kashmir.

Performances (As a band and individual)

What can I say - superb virtuosity all round. And to see it close up - WOW

Theater Experience

More comfortable than I was at the O2!

Pre-Show Experience

Unfortunately little, not many in attendance, complex quiet. Poorly promoted for mine.

Positives and Negatives (If applicable)

Strangely, I was a little underwhelmed when Good Times Bad Times started and recalled that also happened at the O2. Both may have had something to do with the sound (mix / feedback, live and the volume in the cinema). I started off being worried what my friends were thinking

I was pleasantly surprised to find that more of the dialogue about Jason's vocals before Misty Mountain Hop was left in than I was led to believe.

Favorite moments and what blew you away

(And these weren't the same as the concert...) Nobody's Fault But Mine was just brilliant, Misty Mountain Hop great including Jason's vocals, Kashmir was "colossal" and the visual editing in Rock and Roll. The expressive interaction between band members and their apparent joy just makes this movie.

Was it a get together with friends and the feeling it created amongst

My friends thought is was fantastic. Was great to see slave to zep there. I was confident she'd enjoy it!

Overall impression of the movie and experience

All I wanted it to be and more. Can't wait until the DVD comes out here on 16 Nov. I rather expected at the time of the concert I'd be watching it on DVD in 4-5 months time. There's no way it would have been as good if done that quickly. But SO GLAD I saw it on the big screen.

thumbsup.gif

Thank you

six hours, here in Berlin

Roger berlin

Just got back from a screening.

Loved "For Your Life". Makes me wonder why they didn't play it for the 1977 US Tour or 1980 Over Europe. Very good.

Only two downsides:

Just like at the press conference when some Irish journalist made an off-topic question about Rory Gallagher, a "fan" held up their Irish flag so high it blocked some parts of the stage, from a frontal audience shot. Dick Carruthers did his best to find another camera angle quickly, but it was annoying.

I stayed back for the rolling credits hoping there might have been extras at the end but sadly no.

I normally don't go to the flicks that often preferring to watch Blu-Ray and DVDs in the comfort in the home, and I'm reminded why. The state of the cinema after the audience left was an embarrassing pig-sty - spilt drinks and half-eaten popcorn everywhere. A mess.

I have never seen Blue Ray? Is it worth it? I mean, isnt HD good enough? I mean is some hottie going to jump out of the screen and do me on the couch? Whats the fuss? I dont like the movie theatre either. I hope these hicks I live near are ready for some Led Zeppelin becaue I have some speakers and I am going to blast them into the nearest corn field.

I have never seen Blue Ray? Is it worth it? I mean, isnt HD good enough? I mean is some hottie going to jump out of the screen and do me on the couch? Whats the fuss? I dont like the movie theatre either. I hope these hicks I live near are ready for some Led Zeppelin becaue I have some speakers and I am going to blast them into the nearest corn field.

I have blue-ray. Love it. For the price it was worth it to me. Is it a whole lot better than regular DVD? Personal opinion really, but it is better.

I was also thinking along the same lines as you regarding my neighbors...it's gonna suck to be them when that blue-ray arrives!!

I leave in 15 min.!!!!! Got my Led Zeppelin swag on too!! Me and 7 others, all family and friends. 3 generations will be there with me.

Just home from the 18:00 screening in Glasgow and loved it! If the cinema hadn't twatted the times I'd have went back in for the second showing it was that good.

Sound was a little quieter than I'd have liked but really clear and well detailed. The footage is superb, having watched the Four Eyes version of the show umpteen times it was a real treat to see the closeups and the obvious enjoyment of the band at playing together. My only gripe with the visuals is the "16mm" footage which was used a little too much and there were a few "find the focus" moments in the main cameras too.

The removal of the feedback was welcome. I remember on the night running through to the living room when the shout went up about the BBC clip of Black Dog and wincing at the feedback. And while the trainwreck in Dazed has been fixed a little (somehow) it is still there, it just doesn't seem as bad as the bootlegs.

Now it's the impatient wait until mid-November for the DVD and the rehearsal footage, Bring It On!

I have a question or two:

1. Do they show movie previews beforehand or do they start "Celebration Day" immediately?

2. Is the sound separated so that Jimmy's guitar is on your right and Jones' bass on the left, with drums and vocals center?

My only gripe with the visuals is the "16mm" footage which was used a little too much and there were a few "find the focus" moments in the main cameras too.

I would have been happy without the grainy bits too but Curruthers' editing overall blew me away so I'll take his wisdom on that. Same with choice of a bringing into focus scene where there were 16+ other visuals to choose from.

I saw it at 18.00 in Chester. Home now and chilling with wine. Excellent film. Sound a little quite at first but built after first couple of songs. Footage excellent with so many cameras in use. I agree that maybe too much 16mm film used though.

The guys really seemed to be enjoying themselves. Robert sounded great (better than a couple of years ago when I saw the Band of Joy). Jason was excellent, very powerful. Nice to see JPJ centre stage so much.

Highlight for me was Kashmir although that generally isn't my favourite song. It was so powerful.

Shame to have to sit through 10 minutes of adverts and film trailers beforehand though.

1. Do they show movie previews beforehand or do they start "Celebration Day" immediately?

They played the Celebration Day trailer immediately before the movie.

2. Is the sound separated so that Jimmy's guitar is on your right and Jones' bass on the left, with drums and vocals center?

It was in "surround sound" so it was a good mix.

The cinema, for some unknown reason changed it from the giant Extremescreen to a normal screening and I have sent a please explain email to them.

At the screening I saw they went straight into the movie, no ads or trailers at all.

As Reggie sez it's in surround but to my ears the majority of the music was coming from the front of the cinema.

Visualy stunning, the rapid cuts and the 8mm footage did not bother me in the least. Audio mix was perfect, no complaints there either. The Cinema experience was a different story though. When we arrived there were people sitting in the seats I had booked on the 13th of September it took nearly five minutes of almost heated arguing before they shifted their arses. There was no way I was sitting anywhere else except the premium seats booked well in advance to make sure we had the best sound an viewing position possible. Then there were the loud talkers throughout most of the film, the drunken out of tune sing-alongers. .....Highlights for me..almost everything, D&C in particular even with the still present but slightly smoothed train wreck, No Quarter..stunning Misty Mountain Hop gave me a smile, pity though that Jason singing the line from "I can't quit you babe" was removed Kashmir, oh wow the power.......Overall a great evening out 10 out of 10 for the movie 7 out of 10 for the experience......Now the wait until the postie brings me my BR,DVD,CD set.

Saw it tonight. It was excellent. Only complaint was the mix in the cinema I saw it at was a little muddled, I expect it'll be better on blu ray at home through my (properly eq'd) 5.1 system.

Also, some twat in front of me kept clapping at the end of each song and was singingly in an awful manner to Black Dog.

Then this other scumbag from hell began clapping right at the intro to Kashmir, really annoying,,,effectively missed out on the 1st minute or so of Kashmir. (It's a shame they didn't do multiple showings of this, I wish they had done a 10.30am showing).

JPJ was on spectacular form!

EDIT:

They corrected the very slight 'error' at the start of In My Time Of Dying, when the drums first kick in (bootlegs show Page's guitar volume was turned all the way down ;))

Back from a screening: Very impressed. I went with two friends who weren't really Led Zeppelin fans and after half an hour they looked to be enjoying more than I was!

Visuals are fantastic, the 1080i camera-work really shows. You catch all the smiles and glances between band members, which is great to see. Jimmy Page is clearly enjoying himself throughout.

For Your Life is immense, it really makes you wonder why it never saw a live outing prior to the 2007 performance.

Absolute idiots behind me chose to use the entirety of Whole Lotta Love to have a discussion about whether Led Zeppelin were better than The Rolling Stones. I told them to fuck off, and they shut up.

The cinema was packed, and this was the later screening. Since it was full of middle-aged men there was a mad rush for the toilet during the organ solo of No Quarter.

Trampled Underfoot and Misty Mountain Hop were standout performances, which is strange as neither of them are my favourite Led Zeppelin songs.

After a while the use of 16mm camera footage becomes annoying. Just as you want to see a close up of Jimmy soloing you get a grainy distance shot of his face.

Overall great sound, great visuals, well edited.

Saw it at the Oct 17th 2045pm screening at Braintree Cineworld, UK. Shame it took the "projectionist" fifteen minutes to switch on the Dobly (sic) Digital so up 'till the end of Black Dog it was almost in mono and no surround sound! Grrrrr... I'd say it was about 90% full, mostly of people who would have followed the band back in the seventies.

I wondered how Mr. Page would deal with the Dazed and Confused "hiccup" and the answer is very well :D

One thing I did miss was long shots. It is not surprising it was almost all up-close given that it was intended for back projection at the gig, but I really missed seeing things like Plant's movements and sweeping hand gestures during the intro to IMTOD for example. What I'd really like is a DVD with the FourEyes visuals and the proper soundtrack as an alternative to the official version so I can choose which to watch.

A great evening out!

It seemed like it lasted five minutes...it seemed like it could last forever.

Where did the time go? Not enough damn it!!

I didn't need confirmation that Led Zeppelin was my favorite band, but I got it. This is likely the closest I will ever get to them, but it was very satisfying to say the least.

The cinema has a 15,000 watt surround sound system. At the beginning it seemed they were using about FIVE!!! It got better as the movie went along, however everyone with me, including my mother, wanted it louder.

One thing my mother was disappointed with was Robert wasn't wearing tight enough pants!!! MA!!! Seriously?

There is a second showing next week, I'll be there.

saw the film last night at Innaloo in Western Australia, I was really looking forward to this event , but the cinema that showed it (Event Cinemas) was a total let down , the film itself was awsome, but the evening was totally ruined by the sub standard sound system used by the cinema , I don't now if they had the wrong settings switched on , but it was piss poor and totally spoilt what would have been a truly great evening, and I paid $50 for two tickets !, I came away not on a high, but feeling totally let down.

last week I took my kids to see a Disney film at a Grand Cinema and the sound was awsome, so anyone reading this from WA avoid Event Cinemas , unfortunatly these are the only clowns showing Celebration Day, another winner for for Australia !!!

Oh, I forgot to add on my previous post , it was nice to hear Percy, mention Birmingham and Worcester, I lived by Percy and you would often see him in Bewdley just wondering around 'Happy Days'

I remember once when Percy and Nigel Kennedy were turned away from a folk gig at Arley village hall for being "Too Scruffy", Mind you percy was with possibly the shabiest dressed man alive !!

still seething from utterly shit presentation by Event Cinemas , Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Just got back from the film...Let me tell you, it truly is AMAZING! The sound in my theater was perfect, so Jason's drums pounded loud and proud throughout...Highlights for me included IMTOD and Trampled Underfoot, I especially loved seeing Jonesy rocking it out with the latter :) Overall, BEST film I've ever seen, hands-down! Sorry for the short post, I'm typing on my phone and still basking in the film's glory!

Un freakin believable....just an amazing night ...oh wow.... I stand by they should go outb on this high note as Led zeppelin anyway...The time of my life was what I had...I know real helpful review...sound killer performance killer visually stunning...I felt like it was a way of closure and saying goodbye as a live act to my favorite band...i thank this website that allowed me to find out about the showing. Ahmet ...they did do it...all the way

Just got back from it. w... o... w...

Highlight of the show: Stairway to heaven. For a song as overplayed as it's been, to make it sound fresh again. Hats off.

Jason in the finale of "Rock'n roll": w... o... w...

Going again next week!

Just got back from the movie - 40% full, no trailers, sound was low but someone went out during the 1st song and got the sound raised to be at concert level. Crowd was well-behaved with some applause at end of songs.

The movie brought back a lot of memories for me on that night when I was dead-center 1/3 of the way from the stage. Kashmir is as I had remembered it - best live version ever. No Quarter was majestic. Trampled Underfoot and Misty Mountain Hop were lively. Stairway was nicely presented in the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie a lot. I think I may be in it for a brief second or two. I will need to check it frame-by-frame when I get the Blu-ray in November.

I just got home from seeing Celebration Day. I was so excited all day, but I made to to 7:30! I LOVED every moment. I found myself even singing along a little. I loved every moment of Jimmy. I remember on the bootleg how Robert talked about Bonzo singing the Wind Cried Mary '400 times a night and Jason's and Pat's singing. I love the Jimmy's solo for Dazed and Confused, the footage from '73, '75 and '77 during Rock and Roll. :D But most of all, I loved their interaction with Jason. It is so moving. I loved Jimmy's little thank you before Rock and Roll. It reminded me of his intro to Black Dog during the 1980 tour. I Can't wait for 11/19.I was surprised how quiet the audience was once it started. The turn out was very good. Was not sure about that.

Archived