TSRTS or Celebration Day?

DAS

TSRTS or Celebration Day?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. WHich one was the better film?

• The Song Remains The Same
    • Celebration Day

As an audio soundtrack I would still pick TSRTS. Celebration Day features surprisingly strong and consistent musical performances. And TSRTS certainly isn't Zep's best-ever (or even best 1973) performance. But still, TSRTS is Zep in their prime.

HOWEVER, as a concert film - an audio-video document of a performance, and of the band playing together - Celebration Day far surpasses TSRTS. Much better showcase of the interplay between the members; more emotionally involving; and just better looking all around.

So my vote goes to Celebration Day.

As a musical performance i'd have to go with Celebration day, Simply jonesy is much more confident and in control, and Jimmy is far far away from his Sloppy days, TSRTS is a magnificent thing, but celebration day will really cement their status as rock legends. and For Your Life is just so fucking magnificent, i'll buy the DVD just to see it played live in HD, it's a dream come true to me :) .

You know, from a technical standpoint Celebration Day is great, but I have to go with TSRTS simply because it holds so much nostalgia for me. I remember seeing it for the first time at a midnight movie back in 83' with my brother...just amazing! I had seen them in 77' (Chicago April 10th, awesome performance!!!), but it took me another 6 years to catch the film, go figure. So whenever I see TSRTS (usually about once a month:-), I think of my brother who has since shuffled off his mortal coil, and remember the good times, and the weird times. RIP my brother, say hi to Dad and Bonzo for me... :smiley_pray:

As much as I aboslutely loved Celebration Day, I also still have a special feeling for SRTS. It was the one of the first things I watched with them when I was getting interested in them again in 2006. I fell in love with Jimmy play Since I've Been Loving You and those scenes with of them at home,with the Starship and the ones Peter can't be topped.

I agree they are from different eras, but both are very special movies and I have a special feeling for them both. Though I picked SRTS, I will never forget any of excitement from Wednesday leading up to the film and the film itself. And can't wait for its release 11/19.

Two different eras... Each one is a picture at a certain point in time. Both kick ass!

I agree exactly!! The Song...... was great cause it caught them in their prime, and the fantasy sequences were great. This movie is what made me a hardcore Zeppelin fan, hearing them is one thing, seeing them perform it is a whole other, I "got it" why the band was soo popular. Now 27 years after their split in 1980, we capture their "final performance", again showing they still can bring it at the same intensity they always did before. Sure with today's technology, Celebration Day may be "a better film", but imagine if all this was available in the early 70s--how much more awesome would The Song Remains the Same been then. As mentioned above, 2 great films catching 2 great periods in a historic band's career, but I'll give The Song...... the nod.

The only flaws with TSRTS as far as the movie goes is that it wasn't shot as a straight up concert film, focusing just on the band onstage, minus all the fantasy sequence bullshit. The performance by the band is top notch. Then of course, there's the newer version of TSRTS with all the edits, but that's another issue.

• 5 months later...

I went with TSRTS simply because it's the band in their prime, you get to see them as they were at that point in time. (Hey, that rhymes! :P) and i also like the glimpses of them at home with their families. Not implying that Celebration Day isn't amazing, it has significant sentimental value to me as well because it captures the band during their triumphant and emotional return. So actually both are very special to me.

• 1 month later...

omg i got celebration day 2CD and DVD package for christmas, that of which got me on TSRTS, it's really hard to decide but apparently i gotten more into celebration day (though i love TSRTS)

As much as I love Celebration Day, I'm just so attached to SRTS. That album/movie got me through a lot.

The fantasy sequences just don't bother me at all. Never have. I may be one of few who think they are awesome.

Definitely TSRTS. I happen to love the fantasy sequences! I can remember fondly (when I was much younger of course) how much I wanted to be in Robert's sequence! I had some nice dreams of my own after watching TSRTS. And the sound quality is really improved on the Blu-ray.

• 3 months later...

I have yet to see Celebration Day, but based on the music alone I choose TSRTS. It seems like the only things people complain about is the video of TSRTS, which isn't very great but every song was perfect, except the cut in Heartbreaker and I personally wish it had some older tunes included (Communication Breakdown, HMMT, Bring It On Home, or maybe an acoustic set, but maybe that's why they came out with BCC and HTWWW..?) I think Zep needs to bring out an album like BCC but featuring 75-80!

• 6 months later...

Both are very special movies for me. In about 1980-81, there were two independent theatres in town that alternated playing TSRTS every 2 weeks as a Sunday matinee. I have so many memories of catching the bus with my friends and watching this movie, which was always double billed with another music movie. I must have seen TSRTS about 30 times in the theater, and the memories are irreplaceable to me. It was around this time that there was a lot of talk of Zeppelin reforming, or XYZ forming, and that made the experience even more palpable as a teenage Zep fan.

On the otherhand, Celebration Day signified the unthinkable, and was far more heart rending, when you consider how improbable this concert and DVD release actually were. I saw the movie in the theater for a one night engagement, and I have the Deluxe DVD too. I have watched it over and over. Both movies mean so much to me, but I will have to go with Celebration Day as my favorite, for the simple fact that it awoke the passion within, and for 2 hours, it felt like Led Zeppelin never left us. Celebration Day is the most special gift that we have been given since 1982, IMHO.

For me it's The Song Remains The Same, as it's the only one that has Led Zeppelin playing, the other one only has three members playing way past their sell by date.

haha, dont hold back,

by that rational, if page announced a gig, you wouldnt go?

Archived