Seattle, WA- Kingdome- July 17, 1977

DavidZoso

This was the first show of the third leg of the US 1977 tour. There were 62,000 fans at this show in the huge Kingdome. There are alot of people who give this show a bad review but I think it is a a very good show and then on the plus side you get the full show shot on video for the video screens. It was one of the purported Holy Grails that finally surfaced around 2002-2003.

But watching the video which is all close-up shots doesn't give the show the perspective of being as huge as it was in a very big place- and there is hardly any audience sound mixed in the SBD mix. If you were to hear a audience version of this show it would be a whole other experience.

I will say it takes Jimmy Page a few numbers to warm up-hence Rober Plant saying "he had a touch of sleeping sickness."

Sleeping Sickness

noun Pathology .

Also called African sleeping sickness, African trypanosomiasis. a generally fatal disease, common in parts of Africa, characterized by fever, wasting, and progressive lethargy: caused by a parasitic protozoan, Trypanosoma gambiense or T. rhodesiense, that is carried by a tsetse fly, Glossina palpalis.

Also called epidemic encephalitis, lethargic encephalitis. a viral disease affecting the brain, characterized by apathy, sleepiness, extreme muscular weakness, and impairment of vision.

I would go with the 2nd one for Jimmy's condition haha but not some of the first things said.

Anyway another interesting thing about this show as it was the opening show to the 3rd leg, Jimmy didn't wear sun glasses at this show just like he didn't at the two other opening shows on the other 2 legs-Dallas 4-1 and Birmingham 5-18. He also didn't wear them at like the first nine or ten shows except Chicago 4-10. He wore sun glasses at all other shows that I know of except Tempe, AZ 7-20 as I don't have pics of the opening two songs.

This was also the last time he would perform in the full white dragon suit.

Bron-Y_Aur Stomp is probably the longest version ever performed and one reason is the unexpected broken string Jimmy has to wait on while Ray Thomas fixes it. So Bonzo and Jonesy start doing a bit of Improv Jazz with Jimmy joining in hitting the stand up bass strings with two drum sticks. Ahhh the Tight but Looseness at it's very best with Robert blowing into a bottle and doing some jazz scat singing.

The drum solo would be the last John Bonham would ever perform in Led Zeppelin.

I couldn't find any pics of the first 5 songs but I did add links so that you could watch the full show on video- a song at a time and the longer songs in parts. Enjoy.

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Over the Hills and Far Away

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

Black Country Woman

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside

Kashmir

Moby Dick

Guitar solo

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway to Heaven

Encores:

Whole Lotta Love ~ Rock and Roll

Full Video in segments:

The Song Remains the Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault but Mine

Over the Hills and Far Away

Since I've Been Loving You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9AsPogaGY

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)

Probably the idiots throwing firecrackers.

That's one thing I've never understood. It got real bad in the mid 1980's. I rememder seeing Dio at the garden and a M80 went off in the air just a few feet away from my head. Some of thoes shows were more like a war zone then a concert.

Archived