Seattle, WA- Kingdome- July 17, 1977

DavidZoso

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to add that the video link to Stairway to Heaven part one- the actual part 2 will show up in the corner of the screen after that first part ends. I realized later that the upgraded part 2 I posted below it actually picks up a lil later in the solo. The other version that shows up in the same box is the correct continuation.

Most likely No Quarter

91325243w5ka8qhr.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I went to this show, the one and only time I saw Led Zeppelin. Even from the audience perspective, it was a pretty disappointing performance, and of course the sound in the King Dome was deafeningly horrendous. All we could do was look at each other and shake our heads. They were really limping along at this point in their career. Hard to believe that such an powerful and exciting band could sink to such a low. Chalk it up to hearing loss and "sleeping sickness," as Plant explains. And acknowledge that this band was just burnt out by '77, partly due to circumstances beyond their control, and partly due to their own overindulgence... The elephant in the room here is that substance abuse really shot down Led Zeppelin and ultimately brought it crashing to the ground, at least for Bonzo and Page. But nobody wanted to talk about that then, or now. You can hear it in this performance - scattered, out of tune, lackluster, weary (though Bonzo's powerhouse drumming was worth the $10 price of admission). Compare this to How the West Was Won, or any of the other official live recordings - even the half-assed The Song Remains the Same sounds like a towering achievement compared to this show. It's a very sad time in the history of Led Zeppelin. The next gig brings the infamous Oakland incident, then New Orleans, where Plant learns that his son has died. The Seattle show was just another bad gig, but it was already over for the band. Don't even get me started on In Through the Outdoor...

Does anybody know how the pro shot footage of this gig got leaked out?

The footage was first seen on the Led Zeppelin MTV Rockumentary in 1990, the same the Knebworth footage was also first seen. After that, it started to leak out bit by bit, a little here, a little there. Then the whole thing popped up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came from someone at MTV

The footage was first seen on the Led Zeppelin MTV Rockumentary in 1990, the same the Knebworth footage was also first seen. After that, it started to leak out bit by bit, a little here, a little there. Then the whole thing popped up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came from someone at MTV

Imagine MTV showing that today! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Seattle is Zeppelin warts and all...i have a feeling Jimmy was on Quaaludes and smack for the show cause he definitely is out of it, even though he gets into it around Nobody's Fault But Mine and stays pretty on most of the show. I'd give him out of 10 for his overall performance a 7.1, with his butterfingers and lack of timing being the biggest culprit, Robert would be a 8.2 he really belts it out at times and really carries the band through it, especially looking over at Page with almost a concerned look half of the show. JPJ is always a 9.0 or above but here id just go with a 9 because the keyboard is a little out of tune on Kashmir which is really the only blip in such a fantastic version of that epic, but its a very noticeable blip. and Bonzo, even though looking either smacked out or going through withdrawal (he changes sweaters to wife beater like ten different times, even going to a hoodie, which is kinda cute on him :) played amazing and really gives it his all. sometimes on this tour you can tell hes sarcastically doing fills or sarcastically pounding his kit almost making fun of everyone thinking he's god on drums or thumbing his nose at the critics polls who had put Karen Carpenter over him as best drummer in rock...he seems like a black cloud is over him, and you can tell this would be the last Moby Dick. He goes nuts for 30 minutes absolutely going crazy like ive never seen other than RAH 1970....he doesnt just go for it, its like hes playing his life away, knowing this is the end of the line regarding his solos. Its pretty special that we get to see his last Moby Dick performance, in full too, not to mention its fucking awesome. Bonzo would get a 9.8, he really tears Kashmir and Achilles apart. Ten Years Gone is an amazing version at this show, probably the performance of the night. Bron-Yr-Aur-Stomp always reminds me of the band just jamming in a room, just chilling, and its pretty insane that we get to see something like this, Jimmy hitting a standup bass with sticks cause his string broke? jesus hahaha. say what you want about how this show is or coulda been, but ITS A GREAT THING THAT WE HAVE ISNT IT?? Cause seeing is believing, and thats never more true than on the 1977 US tour. imagine a Tempe pro shot DVD? hahah Jimmy would probably sue to block the release as he was more fucked up than John Holmes fucking Tom Cruise ;)

Archived