New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

In an inteview in Mojo magazine issue 229, December 2012 Jimmy talks about a number of Zeppelin projects that "will" come out startng next year.

There will be one box set per album with different versions as extra tracks. He does'nt go into anymore detail.

With this and the planned almost complete solo album due this time next year.

2013 could be an exciting time

I hope so. Let's wait and see.

Yeah, thanks for the news - though I've bought all the albums in at least 3 formats over the years - may have to drop more money for the boxed sets!

JTM, can you shed some light on the "almost complete solo album"? Thanks!

I find alternate takes rarely to be worth it, unless we also get some previously unreleased tracks like the original version of Swan Song. I would ideally like something similar to the Beatles Anthology, so we don't have to re-buy all of the studio albums we already own and can get the new stuff separately. I hated when Pink Floyd added alternate takes and rough cuts to their studio albums in 2011 and you had to pay full price for one disc's worth of new stuff.

I find alternate takes rarely to be worth it, unless we also get some previously unreleased tracks like the original version of Swan Song. I would ideally like something similar to the Beatles Anthology, so we don't have to re-buy all of the studio albums we already own and can get the new stuff separately. I hated when Pink Floyd added alternate takes and rough cuts to their studio albums in 2011 and you had to pay full price for one disc's worth of new stuff.

........yeah.....you are unfortunately right.......but only to a point......here's two things to definitely consider here: what if many of these alternate takes are not the tracks that have already leaked out on various boots over the years......and......fucking imagine how blown away you'd be if......for example......they released one or both of the two other Stairway solos he also recorded???.....things like that......or maybe they'll finally put out those four 50's covers they professionally recorded in Fall '73 (minus JPJ, who was temporarily considering splitting at the time)......or......and this would COMPLETELY KNOCK ME SIDEWAYS.......remember that Keith Shadwick book???......well.....amongst other things......it claimed that the Zeppelin I recording sessions also.included "As Long As I Have You"......and "Train Kept A Rollin"........I would probably never even get through 'em......they'd discover me dead on the floor the following morning.....with a big stupid grin on my face...........

I would gladly pay the price of a compact disc (around $10 - $20) to hear just two songs long rumoured to have been recorded by Led Zeppelin. The songs in question are titled, "St. Tristan's Sword" and "Lost in Space".

Anyone know or have heard anything about these two songs?

By the way, I would also kill to hear both versions of "Stairway to Heaven" with the other two different gutair solos because, as Jimmy has said himself, all three were completely different from each other.

When I comes to anything Led Zeppelin, new or old, money is not a major factor to me (up to a point obviously).

I would gladly pay the price of a compact disc (around $10 - $20) to hear just two songs long rumoured to have been recorded by Led Zeppelin. The songs in question are titled, "St. Tristan's Sword" and "Lost in Space".

Anyone know or have heard anything about these two songs?

By the way, I would also kill to hear both versions of "Stairway to Heaven" with the other two different gutair solos because, as Jimmy has said himself, all three were completely different from each other.

When I comes to anything Led Zeppelin, new or old, money is not a major factor to me (up to a point obviously).

Uh what?

JPJ said that all Zepp material is released,all thats left is video/live footage...

We love him but rehashing old stuff is getting old.

Might be for you, but exiting for others! It's zeppelin, who cares if it's old or new. I wouldn't mind if Jimmy lived over royalties from old shows that he could have released over the years. It's probably the stuff that they were doing during the rehearsals for the O2. Didn't they dabbled on a few ideias during that time?

Yeah...I can get that. I haven't bought any of the expanded discs, but I did re-buy three of the remastered versions (WYWH, Animals, DSOTM) to replace my old copies. I am very happy with them so far, they are the best I've ever heard.

Any sort of bonus tracks from Zeppelin are worth it to me as long as they aren't "studio outtakes" reworked from live multitracks. :P

I'm ready for a studio album update of any kind. Someone stole disc 4 of the box set along with my cd player, and disc 3 broke in half. I've been listening to the original 80's cds (Germany anyone ?) for quite a while now....quite muddy by today's standards. It's been well over 20 years since a major update, so it's time. There's a ton of options, so I trust Jimmy to do it right.

I just hope these boxes are reasonably priced and stocked inside I look at McCartney and U2 putting postcards and all kinds of junk in for 100+ an album(I am not fans of either much anymore but am using for comparison-not comparing the music.. b4 that starts up here by any means)...Happy for those that can buy them but 800+ for the entire catalog would be impossible for a lot of people when its available in sound that is still good after 18 years for 100 bucks...I think the Page 94 remastered individual albums/box sound way better than Mothership so I am interested if it's done right.

........yeah.....you are unfortunately right.......but only to a point......here's two things to definitely consider here: what if many of these alternate takes are not the tracks that have already leaked out on various boots over the years......and......fucking imagine how blown away you'd be if......for example......they released one or both of the two other Stairway solos he also recorded???.....things like that......or maybe they'll finally put out those four 50's covers they professionally recorded in Fall '73 (minus JPJ, who was temporarily considering splitting at the time)......or......and this would COMPLETELY KNOCK ME SIDEWAYS.......remember that Keith Shadwick book???......well.....amongst other things......it claimed that the Zeppelin I recording sessions also.included "As Long As I Have You"......and "Train Kept A Rollin"........I would probably never even get through 'em......they'd discover me dead on the floor the following morning.....with a big stupid grin on my face...........

:goodpost:

i hope that IF HE IS doing this, that like someone said above, they avoid filling it with postcards and posters and all that extraneous nonsense. Anyone that would foot the coin to buy this stuff nowadays, these collector's special edition items, only cares about whatever additional music they can provide.....who knows, maybe he's working on a massive undertaking and is doing each album with some corresponding studio outtakes as well as live tracks of those songs from that album played in different eras of the band. It's all a matter of what page can pull from soundboards and multi-tracked stuff that he has.

For example, with Led Zeppelin II, you've got songs like heartbreaker and whole lotta love that the band played all throughout their career. Therefore it would be cool to include multiple live versions of those songs say, WLL from the early 70s and then a version from the late 70s to show just the different phases of the band. Could be interesting if that's the avenue he decides to go down....

as for bonus dvd's, guess the holy grail would be seeing what he's got in the can in terms of stuff from 1977, plus any other stuff he feels like he can remaster and get to releasable quality. I will say, was always disappointed that on the Led Zep dvd in 2003 they didn't include No Quarter considering that was always JPJ's showcase, would be nice to get a full version of that on dvd beyond what we can already find on youtube.

I remember reading something a while back. Sorry I cant recall who wrote it, or the name of the guy being interviewed. But he apparently has been in the music business a long time and had some dealings with Jimmy and the band in the very early days (at least he claimed).

Anyway he said that there was an alternate Led Zeppelin 1 recorded BEFORE the one that we all know and love was released. I dont believe he said why it was shelved, just that it was and then they recorded the official one. Of course I dunno the truth to it, but I found it interesting.

I remember reading something a while back. Sorry I cant recall who wrote it, or the name of the guy being interviewed. But he apparently has been in the music business a long time and had some dealings with Jimmy and the band in the very early days (at least he claimed).

Anyway he said that there was an alternate Led Zeppelin 1 recorded BEFORE the one that we all know and love was released. I dont believe he said why it was shelved, just that it was and then they recorded the official one. Of course I dunno the truth to it, but I found it interesting.

That would be cool....Like... Back To The Future or something like that...

I shall not be buying any super-deluxe-pompy-pumped-up-mucho-expensive-remastered-with-extra-marzipan box sets *unless* they have the aforementioned postcards, an inflatable blimp, a mini-bar (Jack Daniels being mandatory), a bottle of Ballantine's ale, a spoon, a set of Zeppelin coasters, a roll of US$10,000 in cash (in small bills), a small box with multi-coloured "sweets", 10 grams of Acapulco Gold, some unspecified white powder, a fishing rod, a motor bike, and the current phone numbers of the L.A. queens (or associates thereof). Anything less than that is just taking the piss. Besides, once you get through the above items, you won't be in any state to notice the difference between alternate versions and the originals, nor even if you can find where you left your feet.

This post was partly sponsored by Hunter S. Thompson.

I am hoping by box they just mean something in the 20-30 dollar range with 2-3 discs maybe in each...I have a friend that bought all the most deluxe U2 ones...one was like 400 dollars and he cant get half of what he paid for em now...LZ never has really been like that...the cd's may not have been remastered because they are as good as it gets...Mothership certainly didn't have any magic remastering...I dont even listen to it...just seems louder and not as crisp to me..

Archived