Best quality studio recordings on CD?

chef free

I just replaced all the capacitors in my pre amp and now I'm noticing that my Zeppelin CDs don't sound very good, not very clear or detailed. Which CDs have the best sound, the 4 disc box set, Mothership, or the second remasters of originals?

Bearing in mind that Zeppelin on cd will never sound as good as Zeppelin on vinyl, the best CD representations of Led Zeppelin that I've heard is the Complete Recordings Box that came out a few years ago. The one with TSRTS included with all the studio albums and the expanded Coda.

I just replaced all the capacitors in my pre amp and now I'm noticing that my Zeppelin CDs don't sound very good, not very clear or detailed. Which CDs have the best sound, the 4 disc box set, Mothership, or the second remasters of originals?

There was a very limited promo box (three CDs) released by Warner some time ago - consensus (among those lucky enough to hear it) suggests that it was the best sounding CD release of Zeppelin, at least thus far. Hopefully the 2013 remasters will blow us all away. :)

Here's a copy of it on eBay - if you're rich enough to buy it, lmfao...

There was a very limited promo box (three CDs) released by Warner some time ago - consensus (among those lucky enough to hear it) suggests that it was the best sounding CD release of Zeppelin, at least thus far. Hopefully the 2013 remasters will blow us all away. :)

Here's a copy of it on eBay - if you're rich enough to buy it, lmfao...

I have this one, and I agree it's definitely the best-sounding Zep on CD. Unique (re)mastering, by Dave Collins, of 40 songs, including almost all of IV and Houses. Low noise, good dynamics, not excessively compressed, and not brickwalled. Doesn't sound like vinyl, but IMHO some tracks equal the quality of the best vinyl needle-drops (even though the two sound different). DR values typically are within 1dB of the needle drops too.

The price of that current eBay auction is ridiculous; obviously someone trying to cash in on the current Zep publicity. The "real" range is $100 to $275, depending on condition and whether it's sealed.

I have this one, and I agree it's definitely the best-sounding Zep on CD. Unique (re)mastering, by Dave Collins, of 40 songs, including almost all of IV and Houses. Low noise, good dynamics, not excessively compressed, and not brickwalled. Doesn't sound like vinyl, but IMHO some tracks equal the quality of the best vinyl needle-drops (even though the two sound different). DR values typically are within 1dB of the needle drops too.

The price of that current eBay auction is ridiculous; obviously someone trying to cash in on the current Zep publicity. The "real" range is $100 to $275, depending on condition and whether it's sealed.

...I'll give you $20 for yours!

:P

I got mine for $75 at Amoeba.

• 7 months later...

I took your kind advice and found a copy of The Complete Studio Recordings and I am amazed at just how good it sounds! I have been listening to these discs constantly. I can't believe how clear everything sounds, there seem to so much definition and space between instruments and the stereo image is very 3D. If you were were thinking about getting this set, do it now! You will not be disappointed. I only paid $60 ($38+$22 for shipping) by bidding for it on Ebay.

I took your kind advice and found a copy of The Complete Studio Recordings and I am amazed at just how good it sounds! I have been listening to these discs constantly. I can't believe how clear everything sounds, there seem to so much definition and space between instruments and the stereo image is very 3D. If you were were thinking about getting this set, do it now! You will not be disappointed. I only paid $60 ($38+$22 for shipping) by bidding for it on Ebay.

...Should have saved your money in prep for the new remasters on the way!

But you know how Jimmy is! Those CDs will be released "soon".

He has actually been confirmed to be working on the sets by other people, and not only by his own word...we'll get them when they're ready.

• 3 years later...

LED ZEPPELIN Publishing Set (Rare 2001 US promotional limited edition Warner/Retro Active label)

40-track 3-CD set, each CD is housed inside a custom card wallet featuring a different black & white picture of different people holding different Led Zeppelin albums on one side & the track listing for that CD on the other. Also includes a 12-page picture booklet featuring a picture of each band member, intro from Cameron Crowe & discography, all housed inside a 5" x 5" clamshell 'Zeppelin disaster' picture box. Only 2500 copies produced.

Mastered by Dave Collins for Marcussen Mastering. Remastered for a special compilation put together to promote the use of Led Zeppelin music in films.

Just picked up a mint copy of this and enjoyed the music. This sound is very different from the original cds, the 1990s cds and the recently remastered ones.

Overall – Bass, and Vocals volume is increased and the cymbals are much clearer. (similar to SHM-CDs and Platinum cds)

Difference by track (IMHO)

Dazed and Confused – Bass Up in mix, Cymbals clearer

Good Times Bad Times - Bass Up in mix, Bass Drum Up in mix, Cymbals clearer

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You – Electric guitar Down in mix

Whole Lotta Love - Bass Up in mix

Ramble On – Overdubbed Electric Guitars Up in mix

Immigrant Song – Intro volume swell out; Main Guitar Riff Down in mix

Celebration Day - Overdubbed Electric Guitars Up in mix

Since I’ve Been Loving You - Bass Drum Up in mix; Guitar Solo Up in mix – more EQ

Hey Hey What Can I Do – Acoustic Guitar Up in mix/clearer; Mandolin Down in mix; full ending

Out On The Tiles - Drums Down in mix; Guitars Up in mix; Missing last 2 seconds (Drum fill)

Black Dog - Cymbals Up in mix; Bass Drum Up in mix

Rock and Roll - Bass Up in mix; Bass Drum Up in mix; Lead Guitar Up in mix; Rhythm Guitar more EQ;

Piano Up in mix;

Stairway to Heaven – Recorders Up in mix; Bass Keyboard Up in mix; Cymbals clearer; Solo more EQ

The Battle of Evermore – Background and Sandy Denny vocals Up in mix;

When the Levee Breaks – Bass Drum Up in mix; Bass Drum Echo Down in mix;

Misty Mountain Hop – Different mix levels for harmony guitar solos; guitar overdub at end Up in mix;

Going to California = Mandolin Down in mix;

Over the Hill and Far Away – Electric Rhythm Guitar  Up in mix; Overdub guitar more EQ

Dancing Days – Bass Treble (Tone) Down in mix;

The Rain Song – Mellotron Up in mix; Piano Up in mix; Brighter acoustic guitar

The Ocean – End guitar solo Up in mix; Background Vocals Down in mix;

Houses of the Holy – Snare drum reverb Down in mix;

D’yer Mak’er – Percussion Up in mix; Bass Up in mix; Piano and guitar solo Down in mix;

No Quarter – Bass Pedals Up in mix; Cymbals clearer; Audio effects @ end Up in mix; Vocals Up in mix;

The Song Remains the Same – Guitar Overdubs Down in mix and Eq’d; Bass Up in mix; Cymbals clearer;

Kashmir – Brass Up in mix; Vocals Up in mix; Cymbals clearer;

Sick Again - Bass Up in mix and clearer (like direct inject to board); Pedal Steel guitar Up in mix;

Trampled Under Foot – Bass Pedals Up in mix; Cymbals clearer;

In The Light – - Bass Up in mix and clearer; Cymbals clearer; Background vocals Up in mix;

The Wanton Song – Clearer bass; Overdubbed guitar Up in mix;

Ten Years Gone - Overdubbed guitars Up in mix and clearer; Clearer bass;

Nobody’s Fault But Mine – Rhythm Up in mix;

Achilles Last Stand – Guitar 1 Up in mix; Bass Drum Up in mix;

Fool In The Rain - Bass Drum Up in mix; Less Bass Drum reverb; Acoustic Guitar Up in mix;

Overdubbed percussion Up in mix; Guitar Solo Up in mix;

All My Love – Bass Drum Up in mix; Electric Guitar Down in mix; Hi Hat Clearer;

In The Evening – Rhythm guitar Up in mix; Keyboard Down in mix; Guitar Solo Up in mix;    

Image (131).jpg

Image (132).jpg

Image (133).jpg

Image (135).jpg

Image (136).jpg

Image (137).jpg

Image (138).jpg

Image (139).jpg

Image (140).jpg

Image (141).jpg

Image (142).jpg

Image (143).jpg

Image (144).jpg

Image (145).jpg

Image (146).jpg

5 hours ago, rm2551 said:

^That's awesome. If only I knew where to grab flac's for these.  :whistling:

I'm REALLY keen to hear the different mixes!!!

They won't be different mixes - they'll have gone back to original stereo master tapes and re-mastered (or re-re-mastered depending what generation of tape).
You might get a different perception of how loud something is compared to something else within a song, due to different eq/compression/limiting (the only tools a mastering engineer uses...) which can make a track sound very different from a tonal perspective - almost to the point that you might think it was a different mix.  But then, that is the mastering engineers job - to polish and enhance.   For example, If you enhance certain bass frequencies, (not the same as turning up the bass on a hi-fi amp), it can sound like the bass guitar/kick drum are louder in the mix - they're not, but the frequency spectrum they inhabit has been enhanced.
It sounds like these were mastered without Page's input, so they're bound to have a different sound/vibe - it'll be more dependent on the mastering engineers taste than what Page would have instructed, hence a very different sound.

18 hours ago, woz70 said:

They won't be different mixes - they'll have gone back to original stereo master tapes and re-mastered (or re-re-mastered depending what generation of tape).
You might get a different perception of how loud something is compared to something else within a song, due to different eq/compression/limiting (the only tools a mastering engineer uses...) which can make a track sound very different from a tonal perspective - almost to the point that you might think it was a different mix.  But then, that is the mastering engineers job - to polish and enhance.   For example, If you enhance certain bass frequencies, (not the same as turning up the bass on a hi-fi amp), it can sound like the bass guitar/kick drum are louder in the mix - they're not, but the frequency spectrum they inhabit has been enhanced.
It sounds like these were mastered without Page's input, so they're bound to have a different sound/vibe - it'll be more dependent on the mastering engineers taste than what Page would have instructed, hence a very different sound.

Awesome, thanks. I take it these things are done to lend a certain sound to movies. To use original artists work, but engineered to suit a movie format (how the movie sound people want it to come across)??? I'm thinking of WTLB for the recent movie The Big Short.

Would this be correct?

I'd still love to hear the above.

I'm not an expert on this. However, I wouldn't compare it to music or any sounds in movies because it is totally normal

for movies in the theater, and the various home surround systems etc.,  to do whatever tricks or sonic techniques available to enhance a movie. Of course this has been done just in studio recordings or live, but there is a real

danger of getting very far away from the original intent of the artist. Another words too much messing around and 

putting albums in  much different sound fields/shapes than the original, you have created something different.

Main example, CD's HTWWW. Page messed with this so much, IMO great playing but sounds unlike any other live

album I have ever heard,  sounds clean but unnaturally so.

Archived