'71 & 72' Japanese Tour - LAST STAND DISC collections

lololabrute

As far as I recall, in terms of (overall) sound quality and completeness - yes, they are quite good. Individual releases of the concerts may/may not be better, subjectively...but that's kind of obvious.

Are they worth downloading? Sure. Purchasing? Eh...maybe not. I'd imagine they'd be quite expensive now.

I'm pretty sure that at this point, none of the shows in the boxsets are the "best of" versions anymore.

The first Tokyo show from 1971 has had not only several upgrades, but entirely new sources altogether.

I do seem to recall that the soundboard tape for the 1971 second Osaka show is a slightly more complete version of the tape than other boots from that era. But still it too has been released a dozen times since, and was already on a few other boots before that LSD box came out.

Oh, and some of the shows in the box run at the wrong speed, I think. Those LSD sets were one of those boot collections that were impressive back in the 90's, but which have next to no value today except for people who want to actually physically own them as memorabilia.

Generally I believe the 72 boxset is the more "up to date" in terms of the best sounding/most complete versions, I don't keep up with that tour as closely but I'm unawarte of any big errors on it or any significant upgrades.

The 71 boxset doesnt include the newer complete source for the first Tokyo show(although the old audience recording is still very good and worth having), the first Osaka show isnt complete and plays fast while the second has had numerous multi edit versions that are longer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for all your input.

It's hard to know, even when looking for reviews online. Most of the reviews for these sets date back a while and are not up to date in comparing the newer versions of each show... I had the possibility of acquiring both but I think i'll backtrack.

L.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I once came across a box set for the 6 1971 Japan shows which looked so damn cool, especially when you know there's some of the rarest tracks in there Friends, Four Sticks, Your Time Is Gonna Come... Then I seen it was around $400. However I would recommend downloading maybe 1-2 shows from each year, unless you have extra money to spend.

Anyone have a clue on what's the best boot for 9/29/71? I was going to get the show recently but I downloaded Thank You and it sounded decent but during the quiet parts there was so much hiss it was rather annoying, there's like 30 boots for the one show! Wasn't this show multitracked or have those tapes have yet to come around, or are they the ones that are thought that Page recorded over because the quality wasn't good?

Anyone have a clue on what's the best boot for 9/29/71? I was going to get the show recently but I downloaded Thank You and it sounded decent but during the quiet parts there was so much hiss it was rather annoying, there's like 30 boots for the one show! Wasn't this show multitracked or have those tapes have yet to come around, or are they the ones that are thought that Page recorded over because the quality wasn't good?

9/29 was multitracked and the "soundboard" tape you hear on the boots is a horrid stereo mixdown of the multitracks: hence why the drums are so freakin loud and overpower the vocals (someone mixed-down the vocals in the drum channel, so the drums overpower the vox - that's why during acoustic pieces the vocals are loud and clear w/out drums). Whoever did the mixdown obviously did it in a hurry, or just wanted a terrible version to circulate. If the true multitracks are still out there somewhere NOT mixed yet, they could really turn out to be a really good sounding show.

Each version of the 9/29 mixdown boot sounds so totally different from the other, some have the guitar on the right, others the left; some have the drums right in your face, others don't. It's just finding the right one for you. I'll give ya a few favorites IMO that I listen to the most.

Fatally Wanderer Definitive Edition (Wendy) - one of the most complete out there, sound is great

fatally_wanderer_definitive_f.jpg

Live In Japan 1971 (Empress Valley) - awesome release, great sound, too

japan71_f.jpg

Geisha, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (Landing 1971 40th Anniversary Edition) [Tarantura] - complete, also good sound

box-f_zpsaad531f2.jpg

Those are my top three at the moment :peace:

I once came across a box set for the 6 1971 Japan shows which looked so damn cool, especially when you know there's some of the rarest tracks in there Friends, Four Sticks, Your Time Is Gonna Come... Then I seen it was around $400. However I would recommend downloading maybe 1-2 shows from each year, unless you have extra money to spend.

Where did u seen that box?

Archived