Ipswich, UK- St. Matthew's Baths Hall- November 16, 1971

DavidZoso

This is a great show from the late 1971 UK tour. They had just come back from Japan for the first time and were firing on all cylinders. The venue for this show was basically the local swimming pool. For that night's concert the pool was drained of all it's water and a complex wooden support system was put in it's place, upon which panels of wood flooring would rest. The whole show is just awesome and then you get the rarely played Gallows Pole as the last encore. It hadn't been played since Copenhagen 5-3-71.

Setlist:

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Black Dog

Since I've Been Loving You

Rock and Roll

Stairway to Heaven

Going to California

That's the Way

Tangerine

Dazed and Confused

What Is and What Should Never Be

Celebration Day

Whole Lotta Love (medley incl. Let That Boy Boogie, Hello Mary Lou, Mess of Blues, Honey Bee, Going Down Slow)

Encores:

Weekend

Gallows Pole

71_bath_nov.jpg

ipswich71-tkt.jpg

Swimming Pool with water in it.

71111600.jpg

17844385.png

Possibly Heartbreaker

35090010.png

Since I've Been Loving You

29102067.png

Possibly Rock and Roll

22148956.png

Going to California

78390312.png

Dazed and Confused

ips71.png

What a wonderful glimpse of something quite surreal .. from the curlicued text of those tickets to the sight of the band's symbols hovering over a municipal swimming pool ...

There are SO many Led Zep gigs I would dream of attending if I could travel back in time .. early LA Forum and all the groupie scene, Earls Court, Madison Square Garden .. But your pictures make me want to put Baths Hall, Ipswich at the top of that list!

How intimate is that. When you think that the band had been playing huge stadiums in Japan and in the states, the stage is tiny and the audience so close to the action. I'll have to dig my boot out from the show and get the feel of the venue

CP Do you know if there is a boot made from 29 Nov 71 at Liverpool Stadium??

CP Do you know if there is a boot made from 29 Nov 71 at Liverpool Stadium??

Sorry Joe I think not, well not to my knowledge anyway. Shame really. I have this show and I think The Free Trade Hall Manchester one and the best of course is Leicester - Best For Hard And Heavy 25/11/71. They really were smokin in 1971

Sorry Joe I think not, well not to my knowledge anyway. Shame really. I have this show and I think The Free Trade Hall Manchester one and the best of course is Leicester - Best For Hard And Heavy 25/11/71. They really were smokin in 1971

Just heard rock n roll from that show and that was a killer version!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Poster for Led Zeppelin Ipswich gig fails to sell

Dec. 10, 2014 :

A poster advertising an intimate Led Zeppelin concert at a swimming pool in Ipswich has failed to sell at auction.

The band played stadiums around the world in 1971 but opted to play smaller venues, including St Matthew's Baths, to promote Led Zeppelin IV.

_79632527_220ledzeppelinposter.jpg

BBC Radio Suffolk presenter Stephen Foster said it had become known as "Suffolk's greatest gig".

The signed poster attracted a £2,000 bid but this was below the £2,500 reserve.

Auction house Bonhams said a representative from Island Records had grabbed the 51 x 76cm (20 x 30in) poster from the wall and got it signed by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones - missing out drummer John Bonham. Natalie Downing, from Bonhams' entertainment department, said: "According to the representative, John Bonham could not be found after the concert

_79632531_led-zeppelin-at-bath%27s-hall-
Led Zeppelin played Ipswich in 1971 after a successful tour of the United States
_79642565_led-zeppelin-at-bath%27s-hall-
The band played 13 songs before returning for two more as an encore

Tickets for the gig were £1 and the band's set list included favourites including Whole Lotta Love and Immigrant Song.

Mr Foster said: "The stand out track is Stairway to Heaven and the Ipswich audience would have been among the first to hear that, along with tracks like Black Dog and Rock and Roll.

"Although The Beatles had visited the town during the height of Beatlemania in 1964, rock giants Led Zeppelin playing at a swimming pool was something extra special - surreal, in fact."

'Just incredible'

Nigel Rea went along with a "gang" of friends and managed to take several photos. "It was quite an important gig," he said. "The Baths Hall had lots of bands playing there but nothing like Led Zeppelin. "I remember Robert Plant saying something like 'Haven't you got anywhere bigger?' and mentioning the board which was covering the swimming pool.

"Jimmy Page was awesome. At one stage he played his guitar with a violin bow and there was lots of feedback effects.

"It was a great show."

_79642567_led-zeppelin-at-bath%27s-hall-
The venue had also hosted the Spencer Davis Group and The Move
_79642563_led-zeppelin-at-bath%27s-hall-
Robert Plant joked about whether Ipswich had a bigger venue for the band to play at

Another fan, William Martin, said the gig was "just incredible".

"I'll never forget it," he said. "I remember seeing Jimmy Page and Robert Plant arriving in a green Rolls-Royce for soundcheck.

"I saw them three times after that, but that night was magic. You were so close to them."

The baths building is now being used as a gym.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-30412522

Archived