The Genius Of "Coda"

thezepguy

As much as I Love every song on CODA, I have to disagree with your assessment of it being Led Zeppelin's finest hour. I think even the members of Led Zeppelin would say as much. All of these songs were recorded at various times throughout their career and left off each of the albums at that time, for whatever reasons (leftover tracks, wouldn't fit within the framwork of the album(s), etc...)

I do know that Robert wanted to release "Wearing and Tearing" at the time of the Knebworth gigs to counter-react the attention that alot of the English Punk bands were getting around the same time. "Wearing and Tearing" is a fast and brutal Song that Led Zeppelin recorded in Stockholm in 1978 to show (and prove) that Led Zeppelin still had the Fire and Energy that the young Punk bands had even if alot of them could barely tune or play a proper instrument.

Coda has good tracks but misses a common sound or feel. The songs are good but the album wasn't supposed to be an album and you can hear that.

That, plus Bonzo's Montreux is probably one of my least favourite Zep songs.

Did you mean to say "the Genus of Coda?"

• A grouping of organisms having common characteristics distinct from those of other such groupings.
  • A class of things that have common characteristics and that can be divided into subordinate kinds.

^ I'd rather listen to Montreux than a few others (Walter's Walk, Poor Tom-even though they are nice tracks)

Finest hour? I'll tell you what, I had three friends in High School that swore by this album, so your not alone in thinking/feeling that way.

Personally, I don't think so.

I can't find anything wrong with CODA, are these the same people calling it that are so insistent on Zep releasing some unreleased (if any) tracks. Or releasing some live concerts. It has one thing going for it that Celebration Day does not.......It contains all four members of Led Zeppelin, and not just three.There is no pleasing some people.

I think it's really great how all the songs show Bonzo's incredible talent! Ofcourse every Zep song does, but Bonham is especially hard and heavy on this one on each and every track, it gets quite close to the heavy album he and Jimmy were planning after ITTOD!

He goes all the way all the time, when compared to Led Zeppelin III, Houses of the holy and In through the out door where he had to adapt a bit more to the lighter material!

On Coda he just rocks totally and it's a cool epitaf for him and I think Jimmy wanted that and therefore didn't give us of any better songs which were not as drum heavy!!

Nice job of taking the piss zepguy. Considering you have Bob Dylan as your avatar and most Dylan fans I meet have no love for Led Zeppelin, there's a good chance you're a troll sent here to sabotage the forum. We're watching you.

The 'genius' of "Coda" is that it ends...and that it is Led Zeppelin's shortest album.

Coda has some good tracks, but it's far from their finest hour. Did you perhaps, mean final hour?

The album is just leftovers from different recording sessions from over the years, that ever made it on to one of their studio albums. There are even two live tracks on here, being the first two on the album, that were edited and/or had overdubs to make them sound like studio recordings. Now that is the "genius of Jimmy Page!"

WTF

WTF

Indeed, WTF !! zeppelin never released a hit or miss album, they just didn't give a **** to the critics or the press, they knew that all their albums are a sure hit with their fans and audiences.

As For Coda, it's sure is a deeply underrated album, and it has one of my all time favorites, Walter's walk. But their Finest Hour ?? i don't think so, mainly because it isn't really an "Hour", I mean, Poor Tom was recorded in 1970, Bonzo's Montereux was recorded in 1975, Wearing and Tearing in 1978, and The vocals for WW was recorded in 1982, so it's rather a span of Zeppelin's Career, a Hommage to Bonzo, a last gift to their lovers.

That's why it may not be their finest Hour, But It's indeed the Album that i Respect the Most, It Really Deserves More Respect and A LOT more Appreciation.

Archived