If Zeppelin toured again...

TRic

I think the variety of responses to this continual discussion makes for some quite dynamic conversation. Here are some of my thoughts.

As we can already assume, the chances of this happening are close to zero. Jimmy has shown some enthusiasm towards the idea, putting most of the pressure on Plant. Robert has already told us, and shown us, the path he's taking in a different direction and the toll age is having on him. Jonesy and J. Bonham would surely be up to it, but I think this is about more than ability.

Assuming a few shows were played, each would slowly devalue the impact of the 2007 O2 tour-de-force for Ahmet. That performance will always retain its brilliance and magnificence as nothing short of a triumph, but to see the four of them together again, and again, and a few more times, I think the sparkle will begin to dim. If it did happen, I'm sure without a doubt many of us would be on the next flight, myself included. It would be incredible, but I don't think we can expect a similar impact of that of the O2 a few more times, in both performance and allure.

I'm 18 and the last few years have been saturated by a backwards discovery of the mystique of Zeppelin and the impact it had on times I can only read about and imagine. This isn't another 'born in the wrong decade' sob story, it's an expression that I think I can grasp the intensity of Led Zep now and understand that the final chapter to this saga was closed in 2007. Understandably, it's a thought that a lot of us want keep out of sight, but this book isn't to be placed on a dusty shelf. It's to be experienced again, record by record, with Celebration Day as the final bow. Although there may be some left in the tank, I don't think we should be greedy by driving so close to empty.

Judging by Jimmy on Jools Holland last night I don't think he could manage 3 hours on stage.

What makes you think that?

The fact that he was clapping along to each performance excitedly? His enthusiasm for touring again?

I don't see your point here. Yes, he's getting older, but he can still play.

I think the variety of responses to this continual discussion makes for some quite dynamic conversation. Here are some of my thoughts.

As we can already assume, the chances of this happening are close to zero. Jimmy has shown some enthusiasm towards the idea, putting most of the pressure on Plant. Robert has already told us, and shown us, the path he's taking in a different direction and the toll age is having on him. Jonesy and J. Bonham would surely be up to it, but I think this is about more than ability.

Assuming a few shows were played, each would slowly devalue the impact of the 2007 O2 tour-de-force for Ahmet. That performance will always retain its brilliance and magnificence as nothing short of a triumph, but to see the four of them together again, and again, and a few more times, I think the sparkle will begin to dim. If it did happen, I'm sure without a doubt many of us would be on the next flight, myself included. It would be incredible, but I don't think we can expect a similar impact of that of the O2 a few more times, in both performance and allure.

I'm 18 and the last few years have been saturated by a backwards discovery of the mystique of Zeppelin and the impact it had on times I can only read about and imagine. This isn't another 'born in the wrong decade' sob story, it's an expression that I think I can grasp the intensity of Led Zep now and understand that the final chapter to this saga was closed in 2007. Understandably, it's a thought that a lot of us want keep out of sight, but this book isn't to be placed on a dusty shelf. It's to be experienced again, record by record, with Celebration Day as the final bow. Although there may be some left in the tank, I don't think we should be driving so close to empty.

Completely agree with you here. I'm the same age as you actually, and yeah, never having gotten the chance to see Led Zeppelin live sucks. But I wouldn't want to put my personal desire to see the band play live before the fact that their excellent 2007 performance caps their career off nicely.

Also I hate bands that do a reunion tour, a farewell tour, and then a goodbye tour. If you're shutting up shop, close the damn shutters already!

Fellows!,....Boys!, ghhhhhm, Young Men,

THIS ISNT MAJOR LEAGUE Baseball, or the NFL or NBA!

Plant has always been the one 'Not' to reform Zep.

Meeting and Talking to Jason Bonham, he will agree, and tell ya, how it is.

Zeppelin, would be the 'Highlite' of veiwing and most importantly Listening to a Band from the 60's-70's.

Rolling Stones, The Who, are still Performing. But the 'Mighty Led Zeppelin' has shown over the years, and in my opinion, should not reform and Tour!

The 02 is such a 'TREAT' !!!

It is a Phenominal Performance!

Just think, Page had broke his lil pinky finger 2 or 3 weeks b/4 this happened!

They had 'NO' rehearsal Gig!!! THATS UN-REAL!!! They just went on stage and put it out there!

Dont get me wrong here, I, would 'LOVE' to see and 'HEAR' Led Zeppelin and I'd pay dearly for a Front Row Seat. I like Facial xpression and Sweat!, and Stage Volume.

But it aint Led Zeppelin,...its the 'Closest Thing' , You or I will ever get to it 'AGAIN', but w/o John Henry Bonham (R.I.P.) it aint Zep!

Plant has a 'POINT', and I personally, have grown to 'RESPECT' that!

Qoute Micheal Jackson-'Its All For The Love'

Have 'The Beatles' reformed!???

What makes you think that?

The fact that he was clapping along to each performance excitedly? His enthusiasm for touring again?

I don't see your point here. Yes, he's getting older, but he can still play.

He was also constantly nervously touching his nose, I kept expecting him to sneeze half a gram over Jools.

I actually think that what Led Zeppelin is currently doing is the best way to end a bands legacy: One off explendid show, releasing it on DVD, and maybe some live shows from the 70's in the future. They know what they are doing. I wouldn't oppose and I'd be one of the first buying tickets for a "new" Zeppelin tour, but they managed it so well after bonzo that it's great to end this way!

I'm 18 and the last few years have been saturated by a backwards discovery of the mystique of Zeppelin and the impact it had on times I can only read about and imagine. This isn't another 'born in the wrong decade' sob story, it's an expression that I think I can grasp the intensity of Led Zep now and understand that the final chapter to this saga was closed in 2007. Understandably, it's a thought that a lot of us want keep out of sight, but this book isn't to be placed on a dusty shelf. It's to be experienced again, record by record, with Celebration Day as the final bow. Although there may be some left in the tank, I don't think we should be greedy by driving so close to empty.

Thomas on a side note, I have to say it's pretty cool for me to read thoughts about the band coming from a fella who is 18. I'm not trying to make light of it or make a big deal out of you being that age, because I think the music is ageless and not age specific. I love talking to people about the Zeps but I especially enjoy speaking to younger people to get their take on the band. It's always intersting. It's also cool to see a Zep tee-shirt being worn by a young man/woman. I was a little too young in the 70's and not able to see them live but I was old enough to be aware of when their albums were released from P/G, Presence, ITTOD (and unfortunately CODA)....I was just a little younger than you at that time and it was pretty cool. Glad you love the band man!...They'll be with you forever...ciao pal...Rich.

They had 'NO' rehearsal Gig!!! THATS UN-REAL!!! They just went on stage and put it out there!

errrrrrrr K?

Sorry if English isn't my first language ( although I was born in the "North of England") many miles from London, but I am only quoting your initial post that you said they didn't do a rehearsal gig. Maybe you should have said a "warm up gig". Thank goodness for the dictionary. :bagoverhead: Tut. if I only knew the English language? :buttsmack:

Thomas on a side note, I have to say it's pretty cool for me to read thoughts about the band coming from a fella who is 18. I'm not trying to make light of it or make a big deal out of you being that age, because I think the music is ageless and not age specific. I love talking to people about the Zeps but I especially enjoy speaking to younger people to get their take on the band. It's always intersting. It's also cool to see a Zep tee-shirt being worn by a young man/woman. I was a little too young in the 70's and not able to see them live but I was old enough to be aware of when their albums were released from P/G, Presence, ITTOD (and unfortunately CODA)....I was just a little younger than you at that time and it was pretty cool. Glad you love the band man!...They'll be with you forever...ciao pal...Rich.

Thanks Rich :)

errrrrrrr K?

Sorry if English isn't my first language ( although I was born in the "North of England") many miles from London, but I am only quoting your initial post that you said they didn't do a rehearsal gig. Maybe you should have said a "warm up gig". Thank goodness for the dictionary. :bagoverhead: Tut. if I only knew the English language? :buttsmack:

Your English seems pretty good to me, chillumpuffer...you're coming in clear as a bell.

Speed King Pedal, the band had weeks of rehearsals, then right before the O2 gig, they performed a 'full dress rehearsal'. This is where the band plays the entire set, in order, with all the sound and visual effects that they will use in the concert.

The only thing missing is an audience...typically only the family, friends and crew get to witness this full dress rehearsal.

It is this performance at Shepperton that is included on the Bonus DVD in the Deluxe edition of "Celebration Day".

Your English seems pretty good to me, chillumpuffer...you're coming in clear as a bell.

Speed King Pedal, the band had weeks of rehearsals, then right before the O2 gig, they performed a 'full dress rehearsal'. This is where the band plays the entire set, in order, with all the sound and visual effects that they will use in the concert.

The only thing missing is an audience...typically only the family, friends and crew get to witness this full dress rehearsal.

It is this performance at Shepperton that is included on the Bonus DVD in the Deluxe edition of "Celebration Day".

;)

Don't wish your life away my fellow Zeppelin fan.

You're 18 and they'll be plenty of great concerts for you to see over the years .. I hope...

I was born in the "right" decade and I never got to to see them either..

Led Zeppelin last played in Boston in 1973.. I was 10 and not going to major concerts for a few years yet..

I've seen all of them (except John bonham) numerous times in different situations but never in Led Zeppelin.

The initial rehearsals came together so easily they barely had to have technical breakouts to tighten it up. We know time constraints limited the set list as they played through and readied 3 additional songs before having to pare down.

At the behest of Dick Carruthers they did a full rehearsal to troubleshoot the A/V. Don't you think Jason videod some of their early rehearsals?

LZ are not compelled to tour as they are doing a virtual tour via Celebration Day. Should new material or a worthy cause emerge, different story. A one stop or limited engagement is likely to draw upwards of 50million in ticket demands with the new surge of awareness and love for the music. Celebration Day indeed.

the band had weeks of rehearsals, then right before the O2 gig, they performed a 'full dress rehearsal'. This is where the band plays the entire set, in order, with all the sound and visual effects that they will use in the concert.

The initial rehearsals came together so easily they barely had to have technical breakouts to tighten it up. We know time constraints limited the set list as they played through and readied 3 additional songs before having to pare down.

At the behest of Dick Carruthers they did a full rehearsal to troubleshoot the A/V. Don't you think Jason videod some of their early rehearsals?

LZ are not compelled to tour as they are doing a virtual tour via Celebration Day. Should new material or a worthy cause emerge, different story. A one stop or limited engagement is likely to draw upwards of 50million in ticket demands with the new surge of awareness and love for the music. Celebration Day indeed.

where did we ever hear that they had 3 more songs ready to go and that time constraints shortened it?

Don't wish your life away my fellow Zeppelin fan.

You're 18 and they'll be plenty of great concerts for you to see over the years .. I hope...

I was born in the "right" decade and I never got to to see them either..

Led Zeppelin last played in Boston in 1973.. I was 10 and not going to major concerts for a few years yet..

I've seen all of them (except John bonham) numerous times in different situations but never in Led Zeppelin.

Oh absolutely. I have a ridiculous appetite for live music and new sounds. My comments on Zeppelin are all true, but they definitely don't consume my growing CD shelf. A fair chunk but not all.

It would have been something to see them even individually, I am hoping to catch Jimmy in the future before he packs up, but like you said it won't consume me. There will always be more and that's the great thing, and there are definitely plenty of real, raw acts emerging, so I'm loving being young as well. Thanks for your comment.

Archived