If you could cut down/add to/otherwise change an album..

thezepguy

The title says it all. If you could alter the track listing to any album or otherwise, what would you change?

Here is my preferred version of the Beatles' White Album, with all the crap cut out, bringing it down to be one lp:

The Beatles (The White Album):

1) Back In The USSR

2) Glass Onion

3) Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

4) The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill

5) While My Guitar Gently Weeps

6) Blackbird

7) Rocky Raccoon

8) Don't Pass Me By

9) Birthday

10) Yer Blues

11) Helter Skelter

12) Revolution 1

I'm not a big fan of the White Album, but I think this version would be a little more tolerable for me..

Now on to Robert Johnson, separating his 29 songs into three studio albums.

Robert Johnson's Blues:

1)Kind Hearted Woman Blues

2)I Believe I'll Dust My Broom

3)Sweet Home Chicago

4)Ramblin' On My Mind

5)When You Got A Good Friend

6)Come On In My Kitchen

7)Terraplane Blues

8)Phonograph Blues

9)32-20 Blues

10)They're Red Hot

11)Terraplane Blues (Reprise - about 30 seconds - Hidden track)

Robert Johnson's Blues is the debut studio album by Blues artist Robert Johnson. The album was a commercial failure, but received much acclaim from critics, enough so, to rocket Johnson's next two albums to the top of the charts (albeit, briefly). The album was placed at #341 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. The album did not chart anywhere.

Hellhounds at the Crossroads:

1) Dead Shrimp Blues

2) Cross Road Blues

3)Walkin' Blues

3)Last Fair Deal Gone Down

4)Preaching Blues (Up Jumped the Devil)

5)If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day

6)Stones in My Passway

7)I'm a Steady Rollin' Man

8)From Four Till Late

9)Hellhound on My Trail

Hellhounds at the Crossroads is the second studio album by Blues artist Robert Johnson. The album is considered to be his best, by critics and fans alike. The album was placed at #13 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. The album hit #1 on the chart, and last there for one week.

Stop Breakin' Down

1)Little Queen of Spades

2)Malted Milk

3)Drunken Hearted Man

4)Me and the Devil Blues

5)Stop Breakin' Down Blues

6)Traveling Riverside Blues

7)Honeymoon Blues

8)Love in Vain

9)Milkcow's Calf Blues

Stop Breakin' Down is the third and final studio album by Blues artist, Robert Johnson. Released just four months before his death at 27. Stop Breakin' Down is generally considered to be Johnson's second-best album, by critics and fans alike. It was placed at #53 on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. The album hit #1 on the chart and held the spot for one week, it then fell to #16 and held that spot for four totals weeks.

Remix Death Magnetic by Metallica so that it isn't so brickwalled, and put songs from "Beyond Magnetic" back onto it.

Add in the songs from Coda that were left off of ITTOD

Cut down about half of Aerosmith's "Music from Another Dimension"

Re-release "Ummagumma" by Pink Floyd as an expanded live album, without Disc 2. Definitely get rid of "Several Species of Small Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"

I'm going to cut down the Beatles first two albums down into one, that way their discography could seem closer to perfect.

1) I Saw Her Standing There

2)Please Please Me

3)Love Me Do

4)P.S. I Love You

5)Baby It's You

6)Twist and Shout

7)It Won't Be Long

8)All My Loving

9)Don't Bother Me

10)Roll Over Beethoven

11)You Really Got a Hold on Me

12)I Wanna Be Your Man

Just a rough outline..cutting out even more crud, the album would be 100%

Side A

1) I Saw Her Standing There

2)Please Please Me

3)Love Me Do

Side B

4)Twist and Shout

5)All My Loving

6)Roll Over Beethoven

7)I Wanna Be Your Man

Looking at that track listing, it's pretty evident that record companies could have released that as an album and still would've made bank.

Now..on to The Rolling Stones!

These guys have a lot more albums of fluff..so I am going to cut it down to the best (mainly the hits) from each, and make them into a few albums. These guys would probably be a lot more well-known if their entire 60s output was golden.

1)Not Fade Away

2)Route 66

3)I Just Want to Make Love to You

4)Carol

5)Tell Me

6)Walking the Dog

7)Around and Around

8)Time Is on My Side

9)It's All Over Now

10)2120 South Michigan Avenue

11)Everybody Needs Somebody to Love

12)You Can't Catch Me

13)Heart of Stone

1)What a Shame

2)Oh Baby (We Got a Good Thing Goin')

3)Little Red Rooster

4)The Last Time

5)I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

6)The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man

7)Play with Fire

8)She Said Yeah

9)Talkin' About You

10)The Singer, Not the Song

11)Get Off of My Cloud

12)I'm Free

13)As Tears Go By

14)I'm Moving On

This second album could be a concept album! One of the earliest, just look at the track listing.

That's a pretty good two albums, then after that, their studio stuff is fine.

Phew, this is fun, exhausting, and a little bit crazy, but hey.

Can't think of too many albums I would change. But one that comes to mind is Kansas - Song For America. I'd leave out the opening track(Down The Road), it just sounds too out of place, and like the band were trying to get a "hit". The title track(track 2) would have made the perfect album opener, IMO.

• 2 months later...

There is one album I wish could be changed. Not in terms of track listing, but it terms of production

Nektar - Tab in the oceans.

One of my favorite albums, but a frustrating listen. The original German mix sounds very raw and muddied. As a result, a lot of parts are buried in the mix and difficult to hear. A couple of years later they came out with the US mix which sounds much cleaner, but for some reason they raised the pitch and sped it up, so now it sounds like the band is performing on helium. argh!!!! :mad:.

You can hear both versions on youtube to get a sense of what I'm talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

The title says it all. If you could alter the track listing to any album or otherwise, what would you change?

Here is my preferred version of the Beatles' White Album, with all the crap cut out, bringing it down to be one lp:

The Beatles (The White Album):

1) Back In The USSR

2) Glass Onion

3) Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

4) The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill

5) While My Guitar Gently Weeps

6) Blackbird

7) Rocky Raccoon

8) Don't Pass Me By

9) Birthday

10) Yer Blues

11) Helter Skelter

12) Revolution 1

I'm not a big fan of the White Album, but I think this version would be a little more tolerable for me..

Finally someone that gets it. The White Album, along with The Wall, are the epitome of "filler" album. I want to vomit when people mention The White Album as one of the best albums of all-time. Rocky Raccoon my ass!

Finally someone that gets it. The White Album, along with The Wall, are the epitome of "filler" album. I want to vomit when people mention The White Album as one of the best albums of all-time. Rocky Raccoon my ass!

I don't see how you think he gets it when he leaves on a track you hate, "Rocky Raccoon", and gets rid of a beauty like "Dear Prudence"? In fact, all of his supposed improvements are downright absurd and probably one reason the troll got banned. Good riddance and thank the music gods HE wasn't in charge of putting the Beatles and Stones albums together.

Is this incessant need to criticize and whittle down double-albums a symptom of today's ADHD addled generation? Why not just make all songs 10 seconds long and albums no longer than a minute if you're all so unable to relax and focus and follow an album's complete journey.

Perhaps the maxim is true...every generation deserves the art it gets. It seems yesterday's double-albums are wasted on today's youth. I just checked 'thezepguy's stats and his age was 22. Coincidence? I think not.

Not that I'm saying ALL kids are like him...as with any rule, there are exceptions. Victoria7, jayceeporter, sickagain being a few.

I don't see how you think he gets it when he leaves on a track you hate, "Rocky Raccoon", and gets rid of a beauty like "Dear Prudence"? In fact, all of his supposed improvements are downright absurd and probably one reason the troll got banned. Good riddance and thank the music gods HE wasn't in charge of putting the Beatles and Stones albums together.

Is this incessant need to criticize and whittle down double-albums a symptom of today's ADHD addled generation? Why not just make all songs 10 seconds long and albums no longer than a minute if you're all so unable to relax and focus and follow an album's complete journey.

Perhaps the maxim is true...every generation deserves the art it gets. It seems yesterday's double-albums are wasted on today's youth. I just checked 'thezepguy's stats and his age was 22. Coincidence? I think not.

Not that I'm saying ALL kids are like him...as with any rule, there are exceptions. Victoria7, jayceeporter, sickagain being a few.

I miss spoke by saying "get's it" - I will admit!

I love double LP's, but if I hear one more time that The White Album is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'm gonna vomit. I love The Beatles, I really do. And maybe my attitude toward this question has more to do with me being defiant against the masses that have always put The Beatles head and shoulders above everyone else, which is utter nonsense.

The songs I like on The White Album are very strong - I'm So Tired, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Don't Pass Me By. Songs like Rocky Raccoon and The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill are ridiculous. I don't consider either quality pieces of music.

Hmmmm, I have never really heard the "White Album" praised that highly...most Beatle fans I've talked with agree that "Revolver", "Rubber Soul"and "Abbey Road" are stronger albums. Enlarging the discussion to all double-albums, the "White Album" in my experience rarely rates higher among music fans than "Exile on Main St.", "Blonde on Blonde", "Physical Graffiti", and "London Calling". I think a lot of its appeal is down to nostalgia.

I agree with you on "The Wall"...loads of filler and a slog of an album to get through.

Hmmmm, I have never really heard the "White Album" praised that highly...most Beatle fans I've talked with agree that "Revolver", "Rubber Soul"and "Abbey Road" are stronger albums. Enlarging the discussion to all double-albums, the "White Album" in my experience rarely rates higher among music fans than "Exile on Main St.", "Blonde on Blonde", "Physical Graffiti", and "London Calling". I think a lot of its appeal is down to nostalgia.

I agree with you on "The Wall"...loads of filler and a slog of an album to get through.

Agreed

I also don't hold Dark Side Of The Moon in high regard. I prefer Meddle and Animals. I don't dislike Dark Side Of The Moon, it's just that many make it out to be the "be all, end all" and I don't agree with that. Many I know share my sentiments.

I've always felt they coulda combined Quadrophenia and Tommy and just made it a short story about a deaf, dumb and blind dude with split personalities.

The Real Me

5:15

Love Reign O'er Me

Sparks

Pinball Wizard

I'm Free

Go To The Mirror

We're Not Gonna Take It

:)

Archived