P.I.L or Sex Pistols

weslgarlic

The P.I.L reformed their later line-ups and released a new album ,Levine and wabble from the original line-up also released an album

Lydon always seems to be ambigous about a new Sex Pistols album , saying its more limiting than recording an P.I.L one.

I wonder if the reunion of P.I.L means the end of THE Sex Pistols reunions ?

"Never Mind The Bollocks" is one of my favourite albums of all time.

I have a "Best of" by PiL and saw them at the Reading Festival in 1992.

I really need to delve into their studio albums at some point.

Interesting Lydon always slagged off Led Zep publibly ,when he was asked wether hed seen " The song remains the same the same " , he said he fell asleep half way through ,he supposed to have made some sarcastic ramark towards Plant when they met ,the next thing hes formed PIL and is asking Plant for the lyrics to Kashmir

But he wore a I hate Pink Floyd t-shirt , now he claims it was a joke

"Bollocks" is a great rock album where PiL were just so much more & I think truer to the spirit of "punk" as in shedding away uniforms than the Pistols were, be it "Death Disco", "Flowers Of Romance", "The Order Of Death", etc. The whole anti-Zeppelin thing is a myth that people perpetuate as fans of Zeppelin STILL don't get were the original punks were coming from. Johnny Ramone's favorite guitar player was Jimmy Page even though he played nothing like him & Lydon was just asked recently who his favorite "dinosaur" band then & now was/is and he said Led Zeppelin but that they like most big bands weren't accessible, which of course in 75 & 77 they weren't like the back to the clubs tour of 71 or the stripped down tour of 80. I saw PiL in 1992 & they opened up with an instrumental version of "Kashmir", with the late John McGeogh on guitar who was also a huge fan of Page during his time with PiL, Siouxsie & The Banshees, & Magazine. The whole punk wars is just a stupid thing to still fight. Relax & enjoy, that's what it's about.

"Bollocks" is a great rock album where PiL were just so much more & I think truer to the spirit of "punk" as in shedding away uniforms than the Pistols were, be it "Death Disco", "Flowers Of Romance", "The Order Of Death", etc. The whole anti-Zeppelin thing is a myth that people perpetuate as fans of Zeppelin STILL don't get were the original punks were coming from. Johnny Ramone's favorite guitar player was Jimmy Page even though he played nothing like him & Lydon was just asked recently who his favorite "dinosaur" band then & now was/is and he said Led Zeppelin but that they like most big bands weren't accessible, which of course in 75 & 77 they weren't like the back to the clubs tour of 71 or the stripped down tour of 80. I saw PiL in 1992 & they opened up with an instrumental version of "Kashmir", with the late John McGeogh on guitar who was also a huge fan of Page during his time with PiL, Siouxsie & The Banshees, & Magazine. The whole punk wars is just a stupid thing to still fight. Relax & enjoy, that's what it's about.

Kaiser, you nailed it perfectly.

The Sex Pistols were great for a very brief time and I loved "Bollocks", but PIL was more versatile and it's their albums I listen to more often. The first Public Image album was good, but the second album "Metal Box" was a mindblower. If you ever want to test how good your subwoofers are, put on Metal Box and let Jah Wobble's bass lines take 'em for a spin.

I saw PIL several times in concert and they opened with "Kashmir" in 1987 or '89, too. Even without Jah Wobble and Keith Levene, PIL's performance at Coachella a couple years ago was one of the highlights of the weekend.

Then, there's their classic appearance on Dick Clark's American Bandstand:

http://vimeo.com/m/23403544

I remember a story back around 1987 or so where John Lydon asked Robert Plant for the lyrics to Kashmir because PIL were playing it live.

Captain sensible of the Damned around the time of New Rose said " ,,that they'd heard of a rival group that were serious contenders ,so they went to see this band and it turned out to be Bad Company with Albert Steptoe on vocals " i.e. the Sex Pistols

I went to my first gig in 1976 at The Free Trade Hall in Manchester. On our way in some guys were saying " come on in here you don't want to listen to that rock/hippy shite this band are the best etc etc " Next door was The Lesser Free Trade Hall. The band The Sex Pistols. I didn't go in

The new P I L is great.

Album/Cassette/CD is one of my all time favs. Where else would you get Ginger Baker on drums and Steve Vai on guitar.

Album is one of the greatest things I have ever heard, ever. Tony Williams of Miles Davis also played drums. Wasn't Laswell on bass?

I have been searching for years for any liner-note info on who played on what tune. If anyone can help please let me know.

Vai's solo on Ease is Number One on my list of my Fifty Favorite Guitar Solos Of All Time.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Album is one of the greatest things I have ever heard, ever. Tony Williams of Miles Davis also played drums. Wasn't Laswell on bass?

I have been searching for years for any liner-note info on who played on what tune. If anyone can help please let me know.

Vai's solo on Ease is Number One on my list of my Fifty Favorite Guitar Solos Of All Time.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

In 1985, Lydon recorded a song entitled "World Destruction" in collaboration with Afrika Bambaataa's band Time Zone and producer Bill Laswell. PiL's 1986 album release was simply entitled Album, Compact Disc, or Cassette, depending on the format. The cover's blue typeface and spartan design parodied generic brands; promotional photos featured Lydon in a "generic blue" suit surrounded by generic foods and drinking generic beer. Produced by Bill Laswell (despite Lydon-fuelled faction and disunion) and with many of Laswell's usual rotating cast of musicians, it also featured guitar solos by Steve Vai, considered by Vai himself to be some of his best work. Jonas Hellborg, solo bassist and at the time, member of John McLaughlin's reformed band, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, played bass on the album. Jazz great Tony Williams and legendary Cream drummer Ginger Baker drummed on the album, which also featured Ryuichi Sakamoto of the Japanese electropop group Yellow Magic Orchestra. Controversy reared again, with claims that the album cover and title concept had been stolen from the San Francisco noise/punk band, Flipper, contemporaries of PiL, whose album, Album, featured a similarly unadorned sleeve. Flipper retaliated by naming their next album, Public Flipper Limited. Neil Perry gave Album a positive review in the NME:

"This is a wonderful, stunning and equally confusing record, and working on the theory that you'd never expect to hear the Lydon sneer backed by prime metal riffing, that's exactly what you get. Not everywhere, of course, as proved by the haunting "Rise". And "Ease", by the way, with its shock-horror two minutes plus guitar solo, is quite beautiful...In short, Lydon and PiL are still breaking barriers. The man has extracted the false phallus from rock's trouser front and is smashing it over our heads."[13]

In the liner notes of PiL's Plastic Box compilation (1999), John Lydon remarked that:

"In some ways Album was almost like a solo album. I worked alone with a new bunch of people. Obviously the most important person was Bill Laswell. But it was during the recording of this album in New York that Miles Davis came into the studio while I was singing, stood behind me and started playing. Later he said that I sang like he played the trumpet, which is still the best thing anyone's ever said to me. To be complimented by the likes of him was special. Funnily enough we didn't use him...

To tour Album in 1986, Lydon recruited former Magazine and Siouxsie and the Banshees guitarist John McGeoch, world music multi-instrumentalist (and former Damned guitarist) Lu Edmunds, bass guitarist Allan Dias, and former The Pop Group and The Slits drummer Bruce Smith. (Dias had previously played with David Lloyd and Andrew Edge in Uropa Lula). As the years went on, PiL's line-up grew steadier as the sound of the albums drifted toward dance culture and drum-oriented pop music. Edmunds left due to tinnitus in 1988, and Smith left in 1990.[15] McGeoch and Dias were members of PiL from 1986 until 1992, making them the group's longest-running members besides Lydon.

• 2 years later...

Archived