What Line-up Led Zep could have had 1968

weslgarlic

Ronnie Wood said in recent book that the rest of Led Zep minus Page asked him to join them

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story .

Page fancied Steve Winwood , Steve Marriott or Terry Reid on vocals , bass could have been Chris Dreja ,Ian Hunter supposedly was asked to play bass , BJ Wilson on drums , Keith Emerson on keyboards

Pre- ZEP during recording Beck's Bolero Page wanted to form a supergroup with him and Jeff Beck on guitars, and The Who's Keith Moon and John Entwistle on drums and bass. Vocalists Steve Winwood and Steve Marriott were also considered for the project

Doesn't even bare thinking about to be honest, thank god things turned out how they did. It is true though that Peter Grant had managed one of old Ronnie Woods's old bands and asked him to join The New Yardbirds, I'm not sure if Jimmy actually wanted him though. I can imagine Jimmy writing Beck's Bolero as a favour to Beck for him to join. I don't think more than one guitarist would of worked either, Page is more than enough for what the songs are.

Doesn't even bare thinking about to be honest, thank god things turned out how they did. It is true though that Peter Grant had managed one of old Ronnie Woods's old bands and asked him to join The New Yardbirds, I'm not sure if Jimmy actually wanted him though. I can imagine Jimmy writing Beck's Bolero as a favour to Beck for him to join. I don't think more than one guitarist would of worked either, Page is more than enough for what the songs are.

I wonder if Ronnie was asked to play bass or guitar ?

Page has worked with other guitarists The first P&P TOUR with porl Thompson , The tour with The Black Crowes

• 2 weeks later...

Ronnie Wood said in recent book that the rest of Led Zep minus Page asked him to join them

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story .

Page fancied Steve Winwood , Steve Marriott or Terry Reid on vocals , bass could have been Chris Dreja ,Ian Hunter supposedly was asked to play bass , BJ Wilson on drums , Keith Emerson on keyboards

Pre- ZEP during recording Beck's Bolero Page wanted to form a supergroup with him and Jeff Beck on guitars, and The Who's Keith Moon and John Entwistle on drums and bass. Vocalists Steve Winwood and Steve Marriott were also considered for the project

The Ronnie Wood thing is 100% inaccurate! Keith Emerson was never approached to participate on keyboards. The Ian Hunter thing is inaccurate as well. Chris Dreja was not going to be in the "New Yardbirds" Dreja wanted to concentrate on his photo career. He (Dreja) is the one that took the picture that's on the backside of Led Zeppelin I

Apparently Jimmy asked the Yardbirds' first guitarist, that's Anthony "Top" Topham (if you know your history), to join as rhythm guitarist as well. Topham declined.

http://guitarinternational.com/2011/04/20/top-topham-interview-the-original-yardbirds-guitar-hero/

Matt: I’ve heard rumors that you were approached by Jimmy Page to join Led Zeppelin as the second guitarist in the band. Can you address those and put a rest to that story either way?

Top Topham: Well this is what happened,in 1968 I was making Ascension Heights, my album with Blue Horizon records (CBS), with Mike Vernon as the producer. I received three telegrams, which I still have, from Peter Grant and Jimmy Page,expressing an urgency to get in touch with them,one of these said “great news for you.” I called them from our local telephone box in Kingston on Thames, Surrey, we didn’t have a phone in those days, and I spoke to Jimmy who I saw reasonably regularly. He said he wanted to reform under the name of the New Yardbirds and hit America, and asked if I would be interested.

Wait for it, I said no. As I was writing and playing on my own album at that time it seemed like the right choice. Whether he was intending on me being in the band, I know not. It was a flurry of ideas and I would think at that time as he owned the Yardbirds name, which was a very clever move.

• 1 month later...

Jeff Beck was never in the Rolling Stones.

Only because he got tired of waiting for the band at the studio...I did say he f-ed it up...but he was good as in...the rest of the stones didnt show up to the studio for a couple of days...and Jeff bailed before they showed up...

Only because he got tired of waiting for the band at the studio...I did say he f-ed it up...but he was good as in...the rest of the stones didnt show up to the studio for a couple of days...and Jeff bailed before they showed up...

Don't you mean Jeff Beck played on Mick Jagger's solo album Primitive Cool ,he was due to play guitar when Jagger toured solo in Japan 1988 , BECK was told it would only be solo and non -stones tracks, a kind of futuristic heavy metal guitar music, then at rehearsals 80 per cent stones songs appeared on the setlists Beck walked out stating he wasn't there just to churn Keef;s old licks he was replaced by joe satriani

It is true though that Peter Grant had managed one of old Ronnie Woods's old bands and asked him to join The New Yardbirds

True according to whom or what?! According to Jimmy it was several years before he even considered having a second guitarist in the lineup. Peter worked for Jimmy so why would he even suggest something clearly inconsistent with Page's vision at the time, let alone go so far as to contact Wood?

Ronnie Wood claims that the other three minus Jimmy Page were already together as a unit and they asked him to join before they asked Jimmy Page ,That's how reliable Ronnie Wood is.

Unless he meant that the other three without Jimmy Page either not knowing or just not being there asked him to join

Ronnie Wood claims that the other three minus Jimmy Page were already together as a unit and they asked him to join before they asked Jimmy Page ,That's how reliable Ronnie Wood is.

Unless he meant that the other three without Jimmy Page either not knowing or just not being there asked him to join

The problem with his claim (made in his autobiography) is that he says it was Peter Grant who summoned him. Once again, Grant was working for Page, so why on earth would he do something so underhanded? It sounds like the by-product of an alcohol-fueled daze.

True according to whom or what?! According to Jimmy it was several years before he even considered having a second guitarist in the lineup. Peter worked for Jimmy so why would he even suggest something clearly inconsistent with Page's vision at the time, let alone go so far as to contact Wood?

Peter Grant may have worked for Jimmy Page, but Peter Grant was the Manager of Led Zeppelin and he was given the title of "Executive Producer" on all of Led Zepplein's albums and was (and still is considered) the "fifth" member of Led Zeppelin.

As far as I know, Led Zeppelin and Peter Grant split all earnings and profits five ways. I have read that LZ and PG never had a written contract between each other but it is well-known that Led Zeppelin handled the Music side while Peter Grant handled the Business side of all that.

As much as I think I know about Led Zeppelin and Their Music and History, I will Never forget or deny Myself the Huge influence that Peter Grant had as a Person, Friend, Confidant, and Manager of the Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time.

Ask Jonesy. He will say the same thing.

• 2 months later...

Archived