What if Physical Graffiti was one disc...

TheTraveller

The track listing of PG, as most fans will know, was dictated by both the songs and the fact that in those days albums had 2 sides - therefore, Album 1 Side 1 ends in IMTOD, etc.

But what if you could condense PG into one super-album? What tracks would you pick to be your one-disc version of PG in the compact disc era?

I'd like to share my picks to get the ball rolling, so here is my list of what I would keep on one disc to make the best album for me out of PG (and yes this may be sacrilege to some! But hey this is my thread and this is what I would like!! OK?):

1. The Rover

2. In My Time of Dying

3. Down By the Seaside

4. Bron-Yr-Aur

5. Trampled Underfoot

6. Kashmir

7. Night Flight

8. In the Light

9. Boogie With Stu

10. Sick Again

The track listing of PG, as most fans will know, was dictated by both the songs and the fact that in those days albums had 2 sides - therefore, Album 1 Side 1 ends in IMTOD, etc.

But what if you could condense PG into one super-album? What tracks would you pick to be your one-disc version of PG in the compact disc era?

I'd like to share my picks to get the ball rolling, so here is my list of what I would keep on one disc to make the best album for me out of PG (and yes this may be sacrilege to some! But hey this is my thread and this is what I would like!! OK?):

1. The Rover

2. In My Time of Dying

3. Down By the Seaside

4. Bron-Yr-Aur

5. Trampled Underfoot

6. Kashmir

7. Night Flight

8. In the Light

9. Boogie With Stu

10. Sick Again

No Ten Years Gone??? Really??? Come on man...

No Ten Years Gone??? Really??? Come on man...

Oh sh*t I forgot that tune!!! OK revised order coming up!

1. The Rover

2. In My Time of Dying

3. Down By the Seaside

4. Bron-Yr-Aur

5. Trampled Underfoot

6. Kashmir

7. Ten Years Gone

8. Night Flight

9. In the Light

10. Boogie With Stu

11. Sick Again

Thanks for the reminder!

It's missing Houses of the Holy. I presume you would have added that back onto the Houses of the Holy album so that the title would make sense.

Actually I hadn't thought of that but that is a great idea. And I would take off The Crunge ;)

The only way it could've been put out as a single album would've been with only the new songs and the "older" songs released later on an extended / double Coda album.

Track listing:

1. Custard Pie

2. In My Time Of Dying

3. Trampled Under Foot

4. Kashmir

5. In The Light

6. Ten Years Gone

7. The Wanton Song

8. Sick Again

In the words of Robert Plant, "na, leave it..."

If it aint broke don't fix it.

The only way it could've been put out as a single album would've been with only the new songs and the "older" songs released later on an extended / double Coda album.

Track listing:

1. Custard Pie

2. In My Time Of Dying

3. Trampled Under Foot

4. Kashmir

5. In The Light

6. Ten Years Gone

7. The Wanton Song

8. Sick Again

Mm, powerful track listing. I like it. (Still like mine better ;) )

Track listing:

1. Custard Pie

2. In My Time Of Dying

3. Trampled Under Foot

4. Kashmir

5. In The Light

6. Ten Years Gone

7. The Wanton Song

8. Sick Again

I like it. I think it makes for probably the heaviest record they ever made when you realize that they only really recorded those 8 songs for PG, and the rest were filler (albeit great filler) from past periods.

The only change I'd make is to switch the order of Kashmir to number 3 and Trampled to number 4. The rest I think flows great.

I know of a CD release (bootleg) in which the entire double-LP was made to fit on one disc - not sure if anything was cut or trimmed on it, though. Rateyourmusic.com lists it as "Abridged."

I can't answer the hypothetical question, though - I love the entire album, and would be hard pressed to ditch anything from it. (Well, maybe "Boogie.")

Physical Graffiti adds up to 82:36 minutes, a cd holds about 80 minutes. Most songs have an average of 5 seconds of silence at the end of each track, so you could cut about 1:15. This means you'd have to cut an additional 1:21....or you could just drop "Boogie" which is what I do :P

if we were to ONLY include the songs actually done during the 1974 physical graffiti sessions and not any earlier material.......

In The Light

Custard Pie

In My Time Of Dying

Trampled Underfoot

Wanton Song

Ten Years Gone

Sick Again

Kashmir

Still a pretty diverse record, albeit a bit long for that time period, hence why they added all the older tracks to make it a double album.

I think taking Boogie with Stu off would get it under 80 minutes.

You're not allowed to take Boogie with Stu Off :) It's Just so much Fun.

And If Physical Graffiti was one Disk only, Then we'd all be damned Forever. I'd Rather Put Houses of the holy back in its original place (Houses of the holy), Bron-y-aur back in LZIII and You're Done ;)

Archived