We're all newbies today

Rumpeller

Not quite sure what to make of this. I'm in there too,in my list,somewhere. The minute the scenery changed I suddenly found the intensity and atmosphere[if a message board can be said to have such a thing..] of the old board rather odd and even quaint. Very few of those are my "attitudes" and I find none of them offensive in that context,or indeed anything except amusing when re-contextualized in a mass like that. Stripped of connecting threads,it seemed to me an exercise in form rather than a critique of attitudes,individuals,viewpoints or ideas. Shame you didn't like it. Please don't misunderstand or misrepresent it though. Entertainment was my aim.That's all. Happy Thanksgiving to you,too. Cheers!

Obviously I wasn't deliberately misrepresenting it. I may have misunderstood it. It may have been an exercise in form, but its cumulative effect appeared to be to satirize the issues that had been of interest or concern to the members of the old board, along with a repetitive emphasis on the newbies theme which had caused such hard feelings recently. Thus it seemed to me that all of that would be best forgotten, and a new, more constructive slate commenced. Perhaps I was influenced by the fact that when I first arrived here, and the place was practically deserted, there were already snide remarks about newbies, and my first innocuous post (about something else) was greeted by someone trying to start an argument. I had hoped to leave all that behind.

So if I misunderstood, my apologies. :beer:

Obviously I wasn't deliberately misrepresenting it. I may have misunderstood it. It may have been an exercise in form, but its cumulative effect appeared to be to satirize the issues that had been of interest or concern to the members of the old board, along with a repetitive emphasis on the newbies theme which had caused such hard feelings recently. Thus it seemed to me that all of that would be best forgotten, and a new, more constructive slate commenced. Perhaps I was influenced by the fact that when I first arrived here, and the place was practically deserted, there were already snide remarks about newbies, and my first innocuous post (about something else) was greeted by someone trying to start an argument. I had hoped to leave all that behind.

So if I misunderstood, my apologies. :beer:

First of all, thank you for such a thoughtful reply. Really. It's much appreciated. I can certainly see that it may have appeared satirical. Maybe I inadvertantly achieved that by the very act of decontextualizing the issues?The things that were important there and then may still resonate here and now, for better or worse. I honestly join you in hoping that the negative,pointlessly nasty aspects of the previous board get lost in transit somewhere, somehow. For me,entertainment of a slightly odd and ambiguous kind was all I aimed at. The two polarized responses so far have been stimulating and interesting in themselves,both in terms of actual content and the very fact of the extremes they represent.

Thanks again. Always good to be made to think.

No arguments from me!

First of all, thank you for such a thoughtful reply. Really. It's much appreciated. I can certainly see that it may have appeared satirical. Maybe I inadvertantly achieved that by the very act of decontextualizing the issues?The things that were important there and then may still resonate here and now, for better or worse. I honestly join you in hoping that the negative,pointlessly nasty aspects of the previous board get lost in transit somewhere, somehow. For me,entertainment of a slightly odd and ambiguous kind was all I aimed at. The two polarized responses so far have been stimulating and interesting in themselves,both in terms of actual content and the very fact of the extremes they represent.

Thanks again. Always good to be made to think.

No arguments from me!

I expect you preferred the one that said you were a genius, though. :lol:

Just kidding--we obviously misunderstood each other, or at least saw things from different perspectives. Let the clean slate commence!

(snip) ... first arrived here, and the place was practically deserted, there were already snide remarks about newbies, and my first innocuous post (about something else) was greeted by someone trying to start an argument. I had hoped to leave all that behind.

From your lips to God's ear, Aquamarine. :notworthy:

I, too, have observed and met the situation you describe. (Well, not my FIRST post, that was in Hot Pics of Robert, but it's happened.)

My take on the original post (it didn't strike me as either sarcastic OR negative, merely a recognition that we all still have our particular little quirks enthusiasms--why spend time on a fan forum otherwise--and, that we are all new here) was different from yours, but my feelings about the vitriolic negativity on the old board, and my hopes for a better experience on this one, are identical. :beer:

How come, when human beings are anonymous and 'virtual', we allow ourselves a level of viciousness that we probably would never sink to face-to-face? That's just wrong. I (too) hope very much that the clean slate will be a real mental cleansing and re-set for us all.

:thumbsup:

Peace :hippy:

From your lips to God's ear, Aquamarine. :notworthy:

I, too, have observed and met the situation you describe. (Well, not my FIRST post, that was in Hot Pics of Robert, but it's happened.)

My take on the original post (it didn't strike me as either sarcastic OR negative, merely a recognition that we all still have our particular little quirks enthusiasms--why spend time on a fan forum otherwise--and, that we are all new here) was different from yours, but my feelings about the vitriolic negativity on the old board, and my hopes for a better experience on this one, are identical. :beer:

How come, when human beings are anonymous and 'virtual', we allow ourselves a level of viciousness that we probably would never sink to face-to-face? That's just wrong. I (too) hope very much that the clean slate will be a real mental cleansing and re-set for us all.

:thumbsup:

Peace :hippy:

Actually--one of life's little ironies--the snide comments I was referring to here, were of people complaining of newbie-abuse before there was anyone here to abuse them and no evidence of it anyway! And a good thing too--although I'd say "vitriolic negativity" is perhaps a bit strong, except in a few cases, certainly there's no place for that sort of attitude. And, to be fair, I'd never myself been on the receiving end of anything like that. But the whole reunion thing, and the influx of new members, led to a lot of frustrations on both sides. Let's hope here we can put all that behind us.

Cheers! :beer:

So, we're all newbies today.

It feels strange.

Well, not actually being a newbie, but the fact that this is, somehow, a completely new place. I don't know, it's just strange. Not necessarily bad, because I must admit that I'm partly glad it happened, but it's just......strange.

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum but not to Zeppelin, I've spent the odd decade or three with the odd Les Paul copy or Les Paul really really trying to work out all the riffs lol.

Nice to be here with you all.. but like so many others I am in profound super de-luxe ultra-anguish over not having a ticket for 10.12.07..

K x

Alright! Who changed their name?

This is my first day on the new forum and I don't recognize anyone.

OOOhhhh! I just thought of something.

We all have a chance to catch up to LLM(on the old forum) in the number of posts.

B)

Alright! Who changed their name?

This is my first day on the new forum and I don't recognize anyone.

OOOhhhh! I just thought of something.

We all have a chance to catch up to LLM(on the old forum) in the number of posts.

B)

:lol:

You just may surpass me! I am not feeling this place yet. :(

:lol:

You just may surpass me! I am not feeling this place yet. :(

Songbird ehhhh?

Wow! you've already gained some thirty odd posts since my last post.

But really, I'm just kidding. I don't get caught up in the number of posts thing.

:whistling: ...as Oza composes a couple hundred mindless posts on notebook paper.

Archived