Snooker Thread

weslgarlic

I’m not the world’s biggest snooker fan, but even I can’t understand the miss rule when snookers are required.

I don’t like it when there are two games playing in the same arena and the fans on the other have no respect for what’s happening on the other table Like applauding or laughing during their game and a player on the other table is playing a shot, When their game is over talking and making noise while the other game is still in progress

Now that” Rocket “Ronnie O’Sullivan as pulled out the UK championship is wide open

Neil Robertson should win this year’s UK championship

Musicians who share a name with snooker player could form a supergroup

Vocals –Ian McCulloch (Echo And The Bunnymen )

Guitar – Joe Perry (Aerosmith)

Bass –Mark King (Level 42)

Just need a namesake drummer

There are three major subdivisions of games within cue sports:

I’m not the world’s biggest snooker fan, but even I can’t understand the miss rule when snookers are required.

Thats where the ref doesn't think you really tried hard to hit the ball, you were more worried about trying to leave the cueball in a less dangerous position for you

what about Bar billiards, and Hexagonal Pool, that one is a total headfuck lol.

We used to play bumper pool. Is that included in the above?

This.

^ And he is the most naturally gifted player to ever play the game.

That was really cool to watch. I have never seen snooker being played before. So the red one goes in and them the black one, etc., etc

The black one is worth 7 points and the red ones are worth 1. Interesting.

Oh shit! I have contributed to two sports related threads in one day. I am really glad that I am going to a girls only Christmas party tonight. I think I am need of a boost of estrogen. Time to put on a dress and be girlie.

• 1 month later...

Masters final today with the two most unlikeable players in the game. The bleached blonde ginger haired ozie Neil Robertson and the really annoying Mark Selby. Can't stand either of them. These two take the shine off what could have been a really enjoyable afternoon and evening of Snooker. I would have much prefered the two beaten semi finalists Shaun Murphy and Graham Dott, two really nice guys. Instead we have the two most overly competitive pricks in the game, who seem to be in it more for their own ego than for the love of the game.

Masters final today with the two most unlikeable players in the game. The bleached blonde ginger haired ozie Neil Robertson and the really annoying Mark Selby. Can't stand either of them. These two take the shine off what could have been a really enjoyable afternoon and evening of Snooker. I would have much prefered the two beaten semi finalists Shaun Murphy and Graham Dott, two really nice guys. Instead we have the two most overly competitive pricks in the game, who seem to be in it more for their own ego than for the love of the game.

For me Shaun Murphy is the most unlikeable player in the game. I have to press the mute button when he's being interviewed, can't stand the bloke.

Masters snooker final 2013: Mark Selby beats Neil Robertson

Mark Selby won the Masters title for the third time in six years with a comfortable 10-6 victory over Neil Robertson at Alexandra Palace. The world number one had gone 5-1 ahead with three breaks over 70, but was pegged back by Robertson who reduced the arrears to two frames.

Englishman Selby then knocked in 67 in a three-frame run to make it 8-3.

But defending champion Robertson reeled off three in a row himself before Selby took the two he needed for victory. "Every time we come out in the one table set-up it feels like a final. The crowds here are great and it gets you up for it," Selby told BBC Sport

Neil is similar to myself and never gives in. It was nice to play well for a change and to do it on the big stage in a Masters final. Everyone aims for the 'triple crown' but it will be tough to achieve.

"I struggled yesterday but going into today, he was the player of the tournament. I knew I had to come out attacking and put in a good performance. I held on at the end." Although not a ranking event, the Masters is recognised as one of the most prestigious titles in the sport. Selby's success caps a marvellous two months having won the UK Championship as well as returning to number one in theworld in December.

Australia's Robertson, the world number five, was bidding to become only the fourth man after Cliff Thorburn, Stephen Hendry and Paul Hunter to successfully defend the crown.

But Leicester's Selby produced an altogether more fluent performance than his gritty, late-night showing against Graeme Dott in the semi-final.

Mark is a world class player, the world number one and is tough to break through. I could not repeat my performances of the week and it was not my night," Robertson said afterwards.

"He punished me and is a deserving winner. Selby made the perfect start by taking the opening three frames, including a 102 - his only century of the tournament - before Robertson notched his first.

He increased his lead to 5-1, but Robertson stroked in 63 and 72 in the last two frames of the first session to keep him in touch.

Selby, who also won the title in 2008 and 2010, then clinched the ninth and 10th frames as his opponent missed opportunities, stretching his advantage to four frames again.

And a poor safety from 'The Thunder from Down Under' allowed Selby the chance to pocket a red in the middle, which he duly did to win another frame. With the Melbourne man knowing he could not afford to gift Selby any more openings, he duly compiled runs of 74 and 83 to close to 8-5.

And when Selby suffered a kick in the following frame, Robertson pulled back one more to put Selby under pressure. But the UK champion managed to grind out the first tactical frame of the encounter to take him to the brink of victory. The next turned out to be a strategic exchange too, and Selby took it to pick up the crystal trophy and £175,000 prize money in front of a raucous London crowd.

• 2 months later...

Neil Robertson wins China Open

Neil Robertson warmed up for the World Championship by claiming his first ranking title in two-and-a-half years after beating Mark Selby 10-6 in the final of the China Open.

Robertson had not triumphed at a ranking event since winning the World Open in September 2010, but gave himself the perfect opportunity to end that drought by taking a 6-1 interval lead in a drawn-out first session.

Reigning UK and Masters champion Selby managed to cut the deficit to two frames, but Robertson pulled clear once more to seal a 10-6 victory and enter the World Championship, which gets under way at the Crucible next month, as the man to beat.

Selby is looking to become only the fifth Triple Crown winner in Sheffield and the first since Welshman Mark Williams a decade ago.

The 29-year-old will be in confident mood after beating Williams and Shaun Murphy to reach the showpiece encounter in Beijing.

It was Selby who won the opening frame with a break of 58 but that was as good as it got in an attritional first session.

Breaks of 50 and 91 saw the momentum turn in Robertson's favour and the Australian won the next two frames on the colours.

He then extended his lead and even though there were scheduled to be nine frames in the first session of this best-of-19 encounter, a prolonged affair ensured there were only seven played.

Tournament organisers called a halt to the action with Robertson in the driving seat at 6-1 ahead to allow the players some rest.

That seemed to work in Selby's favour, with the the Leicester potter making consecutive breaks of 81, 125 and 66 to reduce the arrears to two frames.

Robertson stopped the rot with an effortless 110 and then a fine break of 90 moved him to within one frame of victory after he had taken a scrappy 12th.

Selby refused to lie down, however, and runs of 116 and 63 helped him cut the gap to three frames, but Robertson showed his resolve to clinch victory in the 16th frame and become the 10th different winner in as many ranking events this season.

http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/news/article/2/8610228/neil-robertson-wins-china-open

Archived