Barney Hoskyns book

badgeholder

I searched, but didn't see anything about this -

Has anyone else read this new book? In the US it's called "Led Zeppelin-An Oral HIstory" in the UK it's "The Power and Excess of Led Zeppelin".

It's quite an eye-popper, tons of details from a wide variety of sources, simply the best book on Zep I've ever read.

Hi,

There has been some discussion about this book, tried to find it & failed. It might be bunched in with another discussion.

I have the book and have been reading a little at a time. Not because it's not good (I think it is). I'm about 3/4 done. The quotes from the band members and family are captivating. I find it interesting to read conflicting opinions from some of the other sources. I have no idea how much of it is accurate, but it is entertaining.

Hi, I got the book when it was released and in the last few days have finally gotten around to flipping through it. I am loving it!

There is a huge cast of characters. Everyone you would imagine that has interacted with Led Zeppelin seems to be quoted in this book. I flip it open and bam, there is some of the Swan Song staff talking about Swan Song and it is fascinating and all new to me. Check another page and there is a long quote from Audrey Powell who was responsible for getting the okay on what artwork to use for HOTH. Another new tidbit I didn't know before.

I haven't started the book from page 1 (yet). I just can't resist popping it open to any page and seeing what I will learn. There are to be sure things that are already well known if a person has read up on the band. For me, I'm finding a lot of new information to be gleaned from these behind the scenes quotes. There are quotes from the band members too. I like that the quotes are all sourced in the back of the book for validity. And it's almost a 500 page book too.

I'll have to post back when I finish reading if my opinion changes. Based on what I've read so far though, I encourage everyone to give this one a serious look. Highly enjoyable. :) Missy

I have read it and highly recommend it. Much better than HOTG, STH and Mick Wall's book, IMO. There are many interviews/quotes from those closest to the band, and I especially like the fact that Hoskyn's steers clear of the sensational stories about mud sharks etc.

Having said that, the story becomes much grimmer by the end of 1975, with two distinct camps by the 1977 tour. Bonham, Grant, Page (and most of the ridiculously large road crew) become some-what functioning addicts and the rest is history. For you Plant blamers, I think you will have a greater appreciation of his actions/attitudes post-Zeppelin. Jimmy takes a bit of a hit & Steve Weiss (Zeppelin's attorney) is much more influential then originally thought.

Yes, it's called Trampled Underfoot in the U.K.

I couldn't put it down but when I finished I was exhausted and overwhelmed.

For all the good times and good fortune, there was a lot of pain and bad personal choices. I don't know how anyone who reaches that pinnacle of fame, wealth, and power can avoid succumbing to it-especially at such a young age.

Robert is definitely portrayed in a positive light; Jimmy isn't - but it didn't make him any less of a sympathetic character to me- just someone who needed help. I did read one passage about him online that didn't appear in the book which I thought was odd but it was a negative comment from Jim McCarty so who knows.

Uh ohh

Because of your avatar, I can't resist stepping in to quote from the book ...

"We spent one Christmas with them... Jimmy is the only man I know who can look sinister in a Christmas hat."

Phil Carlo, Roadie for Bad Company, Tour Manager for last Zeppelin tour; Jimmy's right-hand man for most of the 80s.

Because of your avatar, I can't resist stepping in to quote from the book ...

"We spent one Christmas with them... Jimmy is the only man I know who can looks sinister in a Christmas hat."

Phil Carlo, Roadie for Bad Company, Tour Manager for last Zeppelin tour; Jimmy's right-hand man for most of the 80s.

That's a bit too much of a coincidence isn't it !

That's a bit too much of a coincidence isn't it !

I thought of that quote too. I love your picture, Stairway. That is one of my very favorite periods of Jimmy in those William Burroughs pictures.

I have been enjoying Trampled Underfoot too but that exact reason, they don't come out all sweetness.

A friend has hinted that I might be getting this for Christmas so I'm waiting until then. Looking forward to reading it...it's long been overdue for an upgrade from the last "Led Zeppelin in their own words" type of book that came out in the early 80s.

Not to get off subject, but has a Zeppelin tour rider ever surfaced? I think they are fascinating. I'd love to get a look at some of the source documents of this info.

I will be either receiving this book for Christmas or will be picking it up shortly after. I can't wait to read it.

If I may offer a little insight, I know about this area. Tour riders would be part of the legal documents contained in the performance contract package. Other than someone who saw one for a specific band offering up an anecdote, riders would not be available for public reading. Media instructions are entirely different - these detail for certain performers areas of discussion that are off limits, time allowances, any other considerations that concern a performer and are required for his comfort. Working media is grueling work and your success in working with performers depends upon your ability to know what keeps them happy and comfortable so they are able to perform in interviews, what information needs to get out to effectively promote what they want, and keeping the media on agenda. Lighting, shot angles, food and drink, timing and content are just part of picture. Tell you the truth, the fans scared me the most, some can get quite physical and shove you around. I always saw this work as part protecting the talent and part providing the media what it wants. Sometimes the tightrope is a tad slippery.

^ that's fascinating, when did you work in this area or are you still active, and which bands have you been involved with? also did you ever see a press instruction before advising them not to make eye contact (or not to do anything else) 'for their own safety' lol?

oh and I forgot this one:

3. Do not even look at the quadruple chesseburgers, these are all for the sole consumption of Peter Grant

Riders are sent out by promoters to the venues, along with technical specifications, when they advance a gig. They are available to many (at said venues) to view, including the "runners" who have to go out and buy what is requested.

As a matter of interest, I posted a quote from Rex King on this subject in the thread "The Entourage" ( http://forums.ledzep...__fromsearch__1)

- from around the Page and Plant tour days :-

"Speaking about their rider, he said "Its absolutely minimal these days. A few basic things- finger foods, a few beers, soft drinks. There's no hard liquor or anything like that. Anybody can have what they want, but people don't particularly bother. the days when we used to go all out and have bottles of champagne, etc, they're all over for us.""

Archived