Celebration Day dvd flaw

I watched the whole thing on Blu-ray and I didn't have any such problem.

Same here, except when I played Kashmir last night the audio didn't come on right away. It only happens when I go to a chapter and not the whole disc. It could be a software issue in the DVD or Blu Ray.

Jeff

Edited by Great Sombreo

Remember that dual-layer DVDs have to switch layers in the middle. My old DVD player would always do a slight half-second pause of the video and audio at this juncture because it had little memory. This usually doesn't happen on a computer or modern Blu-ray players since they buffer DVDs/Blu-rays to memory as they play.

So I wouldn't say it's a flaw with the Celebration Day DVD. Rather, it's a flaw with standalone DVD players.

Most Blu-rays are dual-layer (50GB) too except most Blu-ray players buffer the video very well so it's not noticed during a layer change. However, Celebration Day is a 25GB single-layer Blu-ray.

Edited by questrider

Remember that dual-layer DVDs have to switch layers in the middle. My old DVD player would always do a slight half-second pause of the video and audio at this juncture because it had little memory. This usually doesn't happen on a computer or modern Blu-ray players since they buffer DVDs/Blu-rays to memory as they play.

So I wouldn't say it's a flaw with the Celebration Day DVD. Rather, it's a flaw with standalone DVD players.

Most Blu-rays are dual-layer (50GB) too except most Blu-ray players buffer the video very well so it's not noticed during a layer change. However, Celebration Day is a 25GB single-layer Blu-ray.

My DVD copy stuttered too but I just presumed it was the layer break and made the same face I make when it does it during a movie, Grrrr!

I have the regular dvd & it happens every time (10 so far) not a big deal

Disagree. Why settle? This is supposed to be enjoyable! Zeps concert is not the first DVD or Blu Ray to have issues of one kind or another. Now that I think about it, my surround speakers have a delay when I first put on a song. After that, no problems. We should write the company that released the concert. If they get enough responses they could fix it and reissue us new versions.

Jeff

I have 3 blu rays (dont ask) and all 3 play fine on my cheap Sony 380 standalone I have been updating the firmware as they come out....Have 2 of the rehearsal DVD's and they also havent glitched...dont have expensive sound system but I know that delay has happened with other surround sound dvd's and there was a workaround for it....

See what Questrider said on the 9th post. It's still the reason why DVDs stutter about half way through. There are 2 layers on some DVDs and there is a momentary switch between them. There is DVD5 and DVD9 - single layer and dual layer. It might help to look at this:

http://www.aimersoft.com/tutorial/dvd5-vs-dvd9.html

I hope this helps folks.

The layer change on DVD's are well known, but this is different. There is an software issue with some peoples sets. For example, I have the movie Stargate on Blu Ray. There was an issue with the disk not playing the movie, it would be stuck on the menu. The studio replaced it. It happens and the studio or whomever released it has to know so they can fix the problem.

Jeff

Cat, Is it a Blu ray or DVD? Ironic about Stargate I find a lot of older releases skip the menu on my player and go right to the feature but I cant get into the top menu...I have lowend stuff soI dont really know the ins and outs of this ...I have hardly any dvd's and blu rays of my own....It does seems Blu rays are harder to scratch...besides the improved quality thats a plus...

Cat, Is it a Blu ray or DVD? Ironic about Stargate I find a lot of older releases skip the menu on my player and go right to the feature but I cant get into the top menu...I have lowend stuff soI dont really know the ins and outs of this ...I have hardly any dvd's and blu rays of my own....It does seems Blu rays are harder to scratch...besides the improved quality thats a plus...

It's blue ray. I tried it in two different devices and both say "no disc."