New 1977 soundboard - Landover 25/5 & 30/5 - Empress Valley release

Triplet Kick

Can't see it

Double Shot - Empress Valley EVSD--571 ~ 573 / 581 ~ 583

Limited 200 copies

double.jpgdouble2.jpg1st3.jpg1st4.jpg

Landover Maryland USA May 25 1977.

Superb soundboard source. 3CDs in a paper sleeve case with slip case.

Set List)

Disc 1 : The Song Remains the Same / Sick Again / Nobody's Fault But Mine / Over the Hills and Far Away / Since I've Been Loving You / No Quarter

Disc 2 : Ten Years Gone / The Battle of Evermore / Going to California / Black Country Woman / Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp / Trampled Underfoot / White Summer - Black Mountain Side / Kashmir

Disc 3 : Out on the Tiles - Moby Dick / Guitar Solo - Achilles Last Stand / Stairway to Heaven / Whole Lotta Love / Rock and Roll

30th3.jpg30th4.jpg

Landover Maryland USA May 30 1977.

Superb soundboard source. 3CDs in a paper sleeve case with slip case.

Set List)

Disc 1 : The Song Remains the Same / Sick Again / Nobody's Fault But Mine / Over the Hills and Far Away / Since I've Been Loving You / No Quarter

Disc 2 : Ten Years Gone / The Battle of Evermore / Going to California / Black Country Woman / Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp / Trampled Underfoot / White Summer - Black Mountain Side / Kashmir

Disc 3 : Out on the Tiles - Moby Dick / Guitar Solo - Achilles Last Stand / Stairway to Heaven / Whole Lotta Love / Rock and Roll

Sound +++++ Jacket +++++ Collection +++++

Maryland Moonshine - Empress Valley EVSD--571 ~ 583

Limited 100 copies

moon.jpgmoon2.jpg1st.jpg

Landover Maryland USA May 25 1977.

Superb soundboard source. 3CDs in a paper sleeve case with Box.

Set List)

2nd.jpg2nd2.jpg

Landover Maryland USA May 26 1977.

Set List)

3rd.jpg3rd2.jpg

Landover Maryland USA May 28 1977.

Set List)

30th.jpg30th2.jpg

Landover Maryland USA May 30 1977.

Set List)

Sound +++++ Jacket +++++ Collection +++++

Awesome news, the 30/5 show is one of the best of the tour.

This news was enough to bring me out of retirement from the forum (at least temporarily) considering Tom and I have been predicting the existence of these two soundboard recordings for at least a couple of years now... :lol:

I notice that there is no mention of "Trampled Under Foot" -or anything else- following "Rock and Roll" on the May 30th soundboard. So I'm guessing that settles that issue regarding a missing second encore on the audience recording.

Ten to one these soundboards will have cuts in the usual places (NQ, BYAS, drum solo)...

And we will finally be able to determine just how good the May 25 show was, considering the audience recording is so mediocre.

Looking forward to hearing these!

I notice that there is no mention of "Trampled Under Foot" -or anything else- following "Rock and Roll" on the May 30th soundboard. So I'm guessing that settles that issue regarding a missing second encore on the audience recording.

I notice in the earlier post that they list "Trampled Underfoot" after Bron-Y-Aur Stomp in the tracklist description for the 30th. However, I think the artwork actually shows "White Summer" and "Black Mountainside" as the tracks after BYS, and not TU.

So, I agree that this is finally confirmation that TU wasn't played.

For the price its shame they didnt continue the rigid book format, I always thought them extremely tasteful and would make perfect accompaniment to powhatan confed and Bringing the House Down

hello btw

I could not agree more. These "books" were the best format for bootlegs. Really classy.

Over the Hills and Far Away? That song didn't make the '77 set list until New York In June! Big difference between that and IMTOD!

I'm inclined to say OTHAFA was nearly busted out in Birmingham on May 18th; during his post "Nobody's Fault But Mine" Plantation Robert actually says he's not sure what they're gonna do next; then presumably Page settles on the Danelectro instead of the Les Paul, thereby signalling IMTOD was to be played. I'm guessing the idea of alternating between OTHAFA and IMTOD started with the second leg of the tour (if not sooner; after all, we're not really sure what was played in St Paul, St Louis, Bloomington, Indianapolis- or Greensboro, for that matter, since there is no known audio evidence to back up the actual setlists at those shows) but they just never got round to playing "Over The Hills" until 10 June. I also recall Bonham 'requesting' OTHAFA in Houston (his voice is picked up on the soundboard; his request takes place prior to SIBLY, if memory serves)

Still, the inaccuracies of the the song listings on these new May 25/30 soundboard boots -listing "Over The Hills", and "Trampled Under Foot" being played after the acoustic set- makes me kinda nervous...especially considering the setlist did not change over the four Landover gigs at all (the "Dancing Days" teaser on 26 May notwithstanding), and it does not take a lot of research to confirm that. Hopefully the sound quality of these SBDS is better than the quality of the research that went into the artwork (did they even listen to the goddamn things?!)

^ If you look carefully on the actual artwork, OTHAFA isn't listed, nor TUF.

Makes you wonder how whoever typed out the tracklistings in the text got both things consistently wrong, very sloppy.

Indeed, but then I suppose not everybody is a '77 tour anorak like some of us are :lol:

This news was enough to bring me out of retirement from the forum (at least temporarily) considering Tom and I have been predicting the existence of these two soundboard recordings for at least a couple of years now... :lol:

Ten to one these soundboards will have cuts in the usual places (NQ, BYAS, drum solo)...

And we will finally be able to determine just how good the May 25 show was, considering the audience recording is so mediocre.

Looking forward to hearing these!

Nutrocker! I've missed you!!!

Oh well, it's not like bootleg labels care about accuracy, as long as it looks good.

Especially when they could easily come to sites such as this -where there are a plethora of pictures collected by show date- and grab as many as they need. Funny to think that for all the bucks they charge for these bootlegs that when it comes to the packaging it tends to be strictly amateur hour.

It's equally funny to think that, over the years, there have been more than a few accusations lobbed at members of the Zeppelin trading community as actually being in cahoots with some of these bootleggers, but considering the inaccuracies of some of the packaging, etc I'd be pretty skeptical that any of the claims have any real merit...

I'll wait for it on Eelgrass.

I don't know why EV don't release the jewel case edition a couple of weeks after the limited releases pre-empting the Eelgrass version instead of 10 months later when everyones bored.

I don't know why EV doesn't release the jewel case edition a couple of weeks after the limited releases pre-empting the Eelgrass version instead of 10 months later when everyones bored.

I prefer the jewel case art to be honest.

Since some samples are starting to make their way around the 'net, I gave a listen to the "No Quarter" soundboards from both shows.

As is par for the course for '77 SBD's, the audience tapes are patched in on both nights at the start of JPJ's piano solo. On the May 25 board the patch lasts for about thirty seconds. On May 30 though there is obviously a helluva cut in the soundboard recording considering the patch starts about halfway through the first verse of the song and lasts all the way through Jonesy's piano solo and most of the Boogie Section. The cut in the May 30 SBD is akin to that in the Destroyer (April 27) SBD, where almost all of the piano solo and the entire Boogie Section is missing. The main problem with the way they patched in the audience source on the May 30 board is that the volume/EQ levels are so high that the sound is pretty crappy (the unprocessed audience tape for May 30 is actually pretty good, if a little bit bassy, once the taper lowered the recording levels at the start of "Sick Again") Still, it's a big gap that is patched- damn near ten minutes.

...And, as equally par for the course for '77 SBD's -if "No Quarter" is any indication- Page sounds like he is on another fucking planet on May 25. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. His main solo is a mess, and his playing during the Boogie Section is pretty disjointed (mind ya, no other 1977 show has a similar sounding Boogie Section jam to the one on May 25; April 30 comes closest, but the jam is so out of left field Page may not have known how to approach it, to give him his due.) Of course the audience tape is so distant that you really can't tell what he's playing- on the soundboard it naturally comes through with a bit too much clarity. IMO Edward Van Halen's infamous "Jimmy Page sounds like he's playing with a broken hand" remark is valid here. On May 30 it sounds like Jimmy was having a better night, his "No Quarter" solo is pretty decent (but then it's already been established that May 30 is one of the better '77 shows anyway, simply based on the audience recording)

Based on the samples, the May 30 SBD quality-wise sounds much better than May 25. May 25 is very flat sounding, similar to the May 28 SBD. May 30 has a lot more clarity, reminiscent of a '75 SBD.

I s'pose I'll reserve total judgement till I've heard both shows in their entirety in full soundboard glory, but based on "No Quarter" I'm gonna have to give the edge to May 30 over May 25 as the superior performance by a large margin. I'm inclined to think that with the exception of the fourth night -a date which was added due to demand, after all- the Landover gigs were pretty mediocre performances IMO, especially from Page and Bonham (why Bonzo chose to set a record with his marathon drum solos at these shows I have no idea, the May 26 and 28 drum solos being his longest ever, over the top indeed...).

Archived