Jimmy Page 1957

weslgarlic

I am certain Jimmy's early quest for Biological Research was related to the sounds of mud sharks communicating with members of Led Zeppelin in Downtown Seattle. 1957 he saw a glimpse of the future and what the mud shark can do for him.....and others. The Biological Bases of Musical Timbre Perception is one such important piece. Timbre is the attribute that allows humans and other animals to distinguish among different sound sources. Studies based on psychophysical judgments of musical timbre, ecological analyses of sound's physical characteristics as well as machine learning approaches have all suggested that timbre is a multifaceted attribute that invokes both spectral and temporal sound features. Here, we explored the neural underpinnings of musical timbre. We used a neuro-computational framework based on spectro-temporal receptive fields, recorded from over a thousand neurons in the mammalian primary auditory cortex as well as from simulated cortical neurons, augmented with a nonlinear classifier. The model was able to perform robust instrument classification irrespective of pitch and playing style, with an accuracy of 98.7%. Using the same front end, the model was also able to reproduce perceptual distance judgments between timbres as perceived by human listeners. The study demonstrates that joint spectro-temporal features, such as those observed in the mammalian primary auditory cortex, are critical to provide the rich-enough representation necessary to account for perceptual judgments of timbre by human listeners, as well as recognition of musical instruments.

Would much rather chat about Page's new solo alblum but it seems to be held up by years of multi-tasking

I am certain Jimmy's early quest for Biological Research was related to the sounds of mud sharks communicating with members of Led Zeppelin in Downtown Seattle. 1957 he saw a glimpse of the future and what the mud shark can do for him.....and others. The Biological Bases of Musical Timbre Perception is one such important piece. Timbre is the attribute that allows humans and other animals to distinguish among different sound sources. Studies based on psychophysical judgments of musical timbre, ecological analyses of sound's physical characteristics as well as machine learning approaches have all suggested that timbre is a multifaceted attribute that invokes both spectral and temporal sound features. Here, we explored the neural underpinnings of musical timbre. We used a neuro-computational framework based on spectro-temporal receptive fields, recorded from over a thousand neurons in the mammalian primary auditory cortex as well as from simulated cortical neurons, augmented with a nonlinear classifier. The model was able to perform robust instrument classification irrespective of pitch and playing style, with an accuracy of 98.7%. Using the same front end, the model was also able to reproduce perceptual distance judgments between timbres as perceived by human listeners. The study demonstrates that joint spectro-temporal features, such as those observed in the mammalian primary auditory cortex, are critical to provide the rich-enough representation necessary to account for perceptual judgments of timbre by human listeners, as well as recognition of musical instruments.

Would much rather chat about Page's new solo alblum but it seems to be held up by years of multi-tasking

You, sir, have a VERY dry sense of humor.

I don't see what Jimmy and the mud shark have to do with the Biological Bases of Musical Timbre Perception. Honestly, the introduction of your post doesn't actually fit with the rest of it.

He did too go into biological research. Bebe Buell, Lori Mattix, Pamela Des Barres, Jackie deShannon, Charlotte Martin, and lots of other unnamed females. He is a degree shy of being an OB/GYN.

I knew someone would eventually say something along those lines. :lol:

He did too go into biological research. Bebe Buell, Lori Mattix, Pamela Des Barres, Jackie deShannon, Charlotte Martin, and lots of other unnamed females. He is a degree shy of being an OB/GYN.

Holy sh**t that is so hilarious!! Well played, TM!

I think I am going to start a thread soon of the funniest things I have seen in my short time on this forum. This is one of them.

And I love anyone from Texas, my favorite state in the nation.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

• 5 months later...

Steve - you have picked up that JP website on so many inaccuracies, I'm amused to find you using it as a reference!

But it's all correct in this case - I once saw a tape from the BBC vaults which included this material. Definitely April 58 , "All Your Own" , and part of the BBC's Children's Television hour ( hence the ultra-patronising attitude of Huw Wheldon, I imagine).

Steve - you have picked up that JP website on so many inaccuracies, I'm amused to find you using it as a reference!

But it's all correct in this case - I once saw a tape from the BBC vaults which included this material. Definitely April 58 , "All Your Own" , and part of the BBC's Children's Television hour ( hence the ultra-patronising attitude of Huw Wheldon, I imagine).

Even a broken watch is right twice a day. Actually, as I recall it was a BBC archivist who answered an inquiry on confirmation of the date, and word has gradually gone forth since. Now if we could obliterate all references to that damn boyhood photo of Noel Redding holding an acoustic guitar that continues to circulate as "young Jimmy Page" my life would be complete.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day. Actually, as I recall it was a BBC archivist who answered an inquiry on confirmation of the date, and word has gradually gone forth since. Now if we could obliterate all references to that damn boyhood photo of Noel Redding holding an acoustic guitar that continues to circulate as "young Jimmy Page" my life would be complete.

Are you referring to this photo?

tumblr_m3gh3fS2ZJ1r3x7q4o1_400.jpg

Could we also get rid of the "Young Robert Plant and his sister" mistaken pic ? ;)

Archived