Black Dog versus Tom Sawyer

kingzoso

I realize this is the "official" Led Zeppelin internet site, but I would Like to propose this question?:

Would you prefer to hear "Black Dog" or "Tom Saywer" on the radio? Both well recognized and classic songs from Both Groups.

I chose these two songs from Led Zeppelin and Rush because they seem to be radio "staples" that are probably played more than a hundred times each day from all the various radio stations throughout the United States of America.

"Black Dog" or "Tom Sawyer"?

I rarely hear either on the radio here. Of the two Black Dog I love, Tom Sawyer I hate. People think I'm crazy but Rush is one of my most hated classic rock bands of all-time. They are probably second right after the Beatles. :thumbdown:

Thats a tough choice because I love both bands music and consider Rush to be one of the most underated acts in R&R history (although they have gotten many more accolades in recent years for what they have accomplished over the decades.)

I still give the edge to Black Dog. Both killer songs either way.

Both of these songs are played constantly on one particular "classic rock" radio station here. I do my best to bring CD's with me (even though I sometimes forget) , or even listen to talk/AM radio or college radio before this station.

Both songs are great and are important signature tunes for both bands. I like em' both equally. Defining moments for each. Both great riffs, drums, etc. But yeah, how many people do the "air-drums" in their vehicle to Tom Sawyer......classic.

I rarely hear either on the radio here. Of the two Black Dog I love, Tom Sawyer I hate. People think I'm crazy but Rush is one of my most hated classic rock bands of all-time. They are probably second right after the Beatles. :thumbdown:

I won't call you crazy, but I think that you are really missing out by saying that "Rush is one of my most hated classic rock bands of all-time". I realize that everyone has their tastes and opinions, however, it is my opinon that Rush does not have one bad song starting with their debut album in 1974 up to, or at least, until Power Windows. I prefer the hard rocking guitar, bass and drums of the early Rush more than the synthesizer and keyboard oriented Rush that They later delved into. Regardless of that, Rush is my second favorite band of all-time. I just saw Rush in Dallas, Texas last month and it was an awesome sight and show. I will remain a Rush fan for the rest of My Life.

I might be straying from my original topic, but listen to this song and tell me that this is not Rush's version of Led Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Loving You". Close your eyes and listen to Alex Lifeson's guitar solo. Tell me that this is not an almost perfect imatation of Jimmy Page. Played with the same feel, emotion and passion as Jimmy Page. Even Jimmy Page is a Fan of Rush and Their Music.

I kinda compare tom sawyer more with no quarter, both with zep's and rush's use of synths, elements of jazz and prog rock. With black dog and its complicated/mechanical riffs and motions, i compare it more to red barchetta or spirit of radio. Maybe heartbreaker and spirit of radio would even compare better with the three sections. Black dog sort of cooks at a steady temperature and gets hotter throughout the song, its gets the listener vibed into the groove. Rush does that with the red barchetta riff, but with a slow intro and Rush kind of moves their music differently than led zeppelin, they lean more on progressive rock and led zeppelin builds more on a natural groove. Both bands bands build on a riff so well though and understand/understood the dynamics of their band.

I don't understand why Rush are regularly mentioned alongside LZ as some kind of rival or comparable talent. They belong in a totally different box, one I mentally threw out with the trash years ago. They are cold, pedantically precise and unengaging, the complete opposite of LZ.

^ Rush were influenced by zeppelin though, imo i don't hear that they are opposite. In the 80s stage yes, with the synths and 80s technology, but the early stuff is basically close to led zeppelin in formula of drums, guitars based music. I understand what your saying, but i think rush are one of the best bands that zeppelin influenced.

In regards to original post and fm radio. i have not listened to fm radio in ten years at least, but have listened on road trips and working here and there and its funny about listener fatigue, because i definately still have listener fatigue with corporate fm radio, even with great songs like black dog and tom sawyer.

I want to post this version of "Tom Sawyer" to any doubters of the Greatness of the Music of Rush.

Say and think what you will about RUSH and Their Music, either Pro or Con, but I believe that Rush is one of the Greatest Bands of All-Time.

This is a version of "Tom Sawyer" that seems to be in one of it's earliest incarnations. Again, I can hear alot of Jimmy Page in Alex Lifeson's short but guitar solo.

Sorry, no.

Rush are still going, but if in fact they ever had anything original or valid to say (which is highly debatable), they'd said it all by 1981, and they've spent the past 30 yrs treading water in a sea of mediocrity.

Five years of 'quite-goodness' in a career spanning 40 yrs is not the mark of a great band. IMO.

A pointless comparison between 2 completely different bands! Zep will always be a "feel" band who play with soul and emotion while Rush will always be a technically brilliant band. Both great in their respective fields but incomparable!

I mean Rush could never write a song like Ten Years Gone!

I feel sorry for those who don't get Rush. They are one of the most brilliant bands of all time, and the fact that those 3 guys can make all the noise they do is outstanding. No backing tracks for them thank you very much, they make all the noises themselves onstage. Even if you don't care for them, calling them mediocre is hardly fair. These guys have been going strong since the early 70s, and aside from that one retirement when Neil left after his string of bad luck. You don't have to like them, but they deserve tons of respect for what they do. They are always pushing their limits, trying new things, Neil Peart even reinvented his style of drumming back in the 90s. I missed them when they came to town here in 2010 because I wasn't into concerts at the time, and I couldn't go see them in Dallas (AND THEY FILMED THAT CONCERT TOO WITH PHOENIX!) so that blew, but there is still hope. They said they would do announce tour dates for spring and summer North America so I am hoping heavily they come back. Anyways, didn't mean to go on this long. I just think, all in all, Rush deserves the respect they've worked long and hard for B)

• 2 weeks later...

I love both songs. Black Dog studio is a production juggernaut and was never REALLY captured the same way live. Having said that, the live performances have always been a high octane drink and filled with tension - particularly waiting for the outro solo - would Jimmy nail it? I'd rather hear Limelight than Tom Sawyer - "pretenders and portrayers".... what a great line!

• 1 month later...

Rush...

Lee, Lifeson and Peart are excellent musicians, but most of their music doesn't do much for me. IMO, they haven't made anything worth listening to since "Moving Pictures". Everything before that was pretty good, but after? Less than desireable. Geddy Lee also has a very annoying voice. Almost as bad as every single hair band singer!

That said...

BLACK DOG

• 3 years later...
46 minutes ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Eh, neither, play some deep cuts radio people! 

I have to agree with TheLastSpartan... those who don't get Rush have no idea what they're missing out on. In high school a friend tried desperately for 3 years to get me into Rush, but it just wasn't the right time, for whatever reason. About 10 years later, I was in the record store looking for something new. I came upon Rush and bought A Farewell To Kings. What a great decision that was.

Fast forward to last summer and Rush was coming here and I called my friend who had tried so hard to get me into them and asked if he was going. He said he didn't have a ticket. So I bought two seats and got extremely lucky in finding two GREAT seats in the lower level right by the stage. That night, Rush put on one helluva show! I was amazed.

And for all this crap about them being too technically perfect or Geddy's voice or whatever else I've read... all I can say is you people missed out on one of the best bands. It appears that they are done touring so you'll never get the chance to see them live. Too bad for you. Because they do play with emotion and feeling... they just happen to be freaking amazingly great on their instruments.

That's akin to saying Mozart had no emotion or feeling in his music. Whatever.

As far as songs... try Xanadu... if that one doesn't blow you away then there's no hope.

Archived