Black Dog versus Tom Sawyer

kingzoso

11 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

So who exactly is Alex copping in "La Villa Strangiato"? He was a pioneer of merging styles, sounds and effects. He was always growing and changing while sounding like Alex Lifeson. He's unmistakable.

Is that a joke? Let's see, live, Ritchie Blackmore and to an extent, Steve Howe were doing the neoclassical stuff but for a more direct reference, KK Downing & Glen Tipton were doing identical runs and structures as early as 74'. Check it out homie.

On 12/19/2012 at 3:24 AM, kingzoso said:

I realize this is the "official" Led Zeppelin internet site, but I would Like to propose this question?:

Would you prefer to hear "Black Dog" or "Tom Saywer" on the radio? Both well recognized and classic songs from Both Groups.

I chose these two songs from Led Zeppelin and Rush because they seem to be radio "staples" that are probably played more than a hundred times each day from all the various radio stations throughout the United States of America.

"Black Dog" or "Tom Sawyer"?

I love both bands and have seen Rush live. 

But I would much rather hear Black Dog on the radio.

My opinion.

On 3/8/2016 at 8:17 AM, IpMan said:

I believe they are all three virtuoso musicians in their own right, however I do agree, Alex never really developed his own "sound." Neal & Geddy do have their own, unique sound but unfortunately not Alex.

I agree 100%, not calling Alex a slouch at all, he has some classic solos & riffs, just not great.

As mentioned earlier, I was fortunate to see them during the Farewell to Kings Tour in the late 70's. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

18 hours ago, IpMan said:

Is that a joke? Let's see, live, Ritchie Blackmore and to an extent, Steve Howe were doing the neoclassical stuff but for a more direct reference, KK Downing & Glen Tipton were doing identical runs and structures as early as 74'. Check it out homie.

When I make a joke, you'll know it. You may be the butt of it.

Every time someone plays a classical run they're ripping off Blackmore and Howe? Nice cut and paste logic. "Strangiato" must sound like Priest 'cause Lifeson stole the riffs and couldn't muster his own voice on the instrument. Only, it doesn't. Identical is a very specific word. Use with care.

I know what you think you are hearing. Makes me wonder about your capacity to listen

2 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

When I make a joke, you'll know it. You may be the butt of it.

Every time someone plays a classical run they're ripping off Blackmore and Howe? Nice cut and paste logic. "Strangiato" must sound like Priest 'cause Lifeson stole the riffs and couldn't muster his own voice on the instrument. Only, it doesn't. Identical is a very specific word. Use with care.

I know what you think you are hearing. Makes me wonder about your capacity to listen

Your posts make me wonder if you have anger management issues and an inability to read and comprehend. I said Lifeson never developed his own unique sound, which he did not, I never said he copied or stole from anyone, just mentioned similarities. Have a drink or two and relax, life is too short.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived