Do Zeppelin Fans like the Grateful Dead?

scythe

Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the grateful dead?

• I don't know who I love more, Zeppelin or Grateful Dead!
    • Yes, I have them on my IPOD
    • They did a couple good songs...I guess.
    • This is a joke, right?

I like the Dead. Not a huge fan, but I like them. Have a few best of and live cds. I'll say this-I saw them live a few times and they sucked big time. I guess I caught them on off nights. One show, we left early. Every song was incredibly slow, seemed like it took about 45 minutes of fooling around to get to the point. But, I do like some of their albums.

How can so many of you dislike The Grateful Dead?

Back about 15 years ago, I shared many of your sentiments. Fact was, outside of the song Truckin' and Casey Jones, I really didn't know this band.

Bob and Ron's Record Club (a Saturday night vinyl only show in Chicago) changed my opinion of this great band. If you won't take my word for it, have a listen...

Two of the very best songs known to man are "Ripple" and "Attics Of My Life"

Edited by Amstel

I love the Grateful Dead. I think some people don't like the Dead because they maybe are only familiar with the radio hits such as "Casey Jones" and "Truckin." The Dead were primarily a live band. If you don't think you like the Dead you might want to try listening to some of their live recordings. I saw the Dead in concert in '84; I think they may have started to decline a little bit by then but it was still a great show. I also think Jerry Garcia was an underrated guitarist.

I love the Grateful Dead. I think some people don't like the Dead because they maybe are only familiar with the radio hits such as "Casey Jones" and "Truckin." The Dead were primarily a live band. If you don't think you like the Dead you might want to try listening to some of their live recordings. I saw the Dead in concert in '84; I think they may have started to decline a little bit by then but it was still a great show. I also think Jerry Garcia was an underrated guitarist.

Garcia was an awesome player.

Glad we agree :) People might also want to check out an album called Grateful Dead Expanded, which has a lot of blues, and Easy Wind from Working Man's Dead Expanded.

*the comment was to Amstel

I have everything by The Grateful Dead, as well as numerous "bootlegs"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

At the age of 11, I discovered Led Zeppelin and thought the band was the greatest ever. Nothing could possibly top hearing the first few chords of Good Times Bad Times for the first time. I purchased every album and played them non-stop.

At the age of 16, I was given my first bootleg tape of a Grateful Dead concert. Dismissive of hearing Casey Jones and Truckin, I decided to at least give it a listen.

Haven't listened to a single Zeppelin album since.

• 2 months later...

Been a Zephead since mid 70s(age 13).Tried the Dead at roughly same time and didn't get it although they intrigued me.About ten years ago(gone!)I bought a best of and the penny dropped.Got over ten cds of them now.Love American Beauty,Workingmans and Terrapin Station.Live Dead I have owned on vinyl since 70s(jap print!)but you really have to be in the mood for that one.

• 1 year later...

I like the Dead but the Jerry Garcia Band was WAY better. I only listened to them for Garcia anyways and his band basically filtered out the members I didn't care about anyways.

For my high school class and many old friends, it was all about the Grateful Dead. Back then, I scorned them, because very few people I hung with played or spoke about Zep. But with that in the past, I very much enjoy listening to an extensive Dead record collection (left to me by a friend who went cuckoo), and the numerous Dead tribute bands that play at the dockside bars locally. It's very danceable, and their take on Americana type songs is second to none.

^ Hey, Al - it looks like you live on Long Island? Have you checked out the numerous Dead cover bands that are local? Toomeys on the dock in Amityville is always having outdoor shows, for a small cover charge, lately. Tanner Park on the bay in Copiague is having a big, free show with "Half Step" on the lawn on 7/29. The Great South Bay Music Fest in Patchogue, next weekend features the cover band "Reckoning", as well as New Riders of the Purple Sage and my favorite - Hot Tuna.