Raw MSG footage

Geezer

Not even top 50 performance-wise, but the 35 mm footage should not be wasted.

+1. The Song Remains The Same is not the Zep most of us saw. They did say that at least one of the nights at MSG was good to great. You can see that on the Led Zeppelin DVD with The Ocean. Maybe, just maybe, Jimmy will go through and do a remastered live release of their best live concerts throughout the years given the huge response to Celebration Day.

Jeff

i just don't get why they insisted on re-releasing the song remains the same when they could have just taken ALL the MSG footage and shepperton footage including stuff that we haven't seen and made a concert DVD out of it......maybe there really isn't enough footage to do that and if so that's fine, but if it's possible, there would clearly be no limitations around the whole "TSRTS is a movie that is owned by so and so and so we can't tamper with it" as was shown with the songs from MSG that were included on the Zeppelin dvd in 2003. Who knows, maybe with the remasters old jimmy will find and pull out some MSG footage we've not yet seen.

There's probably some legalities with the Director, and $$ issues therein for any kind of MSG re-release. But, I'm guessing.

But sure, any concert video should have an isolated stage shot video track, one that shows the entire stage, in a fixed shot. You know, let me watch what I want -- just as if I was watching from a seat in the arena.... What a Concept !!!!!!!!!

i just don't get why they insisted on re-releasing the song remains the same when they could have just taken ALL the MSG footage and shepperton footage including stuff that we haven't seen and made a concert DVD out of it......maybe there really isn't enough footage to do that

I don't think that is true. What we know is that all three nights were filmed...

It wasn't? Well then why did they do it?

I don't see how a film crew could screw up 3 nights worth of filming and not be able to come up with enough for one show, but they must have.

My point exactly. It's impossible for any film crew to film three concerts and not be able to come up with anything enough for one show.

Maybe the footage is out of focus or the cameras were pointed at the ground. It's anybody's guess.

I would love a concert footage only release, or at least one that is edited a little bit better. But for the time being...

The truth is that there really isn't that much film we haven't seen. That's the reason they shot the fantasy sequences and filmed at Shepperton in the first place. The filming at Madison Square Garden was messy and badly co-ordinated. Some quotes from the Barney Hoskyns book:

Peter Grant: We got Joe Massot and Ernie Day over and started filming. It turned out to be traumatic, to say the least... they filmed three dates and never got one complete take of "Whole Lotta Love"

Peter Clifton: .... When they got to Madison Square Garden, they started shooting in 35-mm film but on 400 foot rolls, which only gave you about three and a half minutes. During the reel changes the camerman were missing so much material........ It was very diffiuclt to film live concerts in those days.

I'm probably saying something real stupid here, but didn't they film the fantasy sequences and do "fake stage" shooting because there wasn't enough shots of the band to make only the concert the actuall movie? I always thought that was the problem.

What percentage of the movie's concert footage is from the re-shoot at Shepperton? I never knew this until recently. Any obvious signs when you watch the film of which is which?

Someone like ledzepfilm would be able to give you a percentage.

Here are some links

http://forums.ledzep...udios-aug-1974/

http://forums.ledzep...-tsrts-visuals/

http://forums.ledzep...-nights-filmed/

What percentage of the movie's concert footage is from the re-shoot at Shepperton? I never knew this until recently. Any obvious signs when you watch the film of which is which?

Some signs that gives away if the footage is from Shepperton or MSG:

JPJ wore a wig at Shepperton.

Everyone had put on some weight by 1974, but this is barely noticeable.

Robert had his nasty English teeth in 1973 but by 1974 he had them fixed.

In the live footage there is a bunch of crew, fans, security and hanger-ons around and behind the stage. And a lot of them. This was not recreated at Shepperton, at least not to scale. If you ever see a shot with absolutely no one around the stage it's a telltale sign that it's from Shepperton.

I always thought Robert's "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" at the end of Rain Song was shot in the studio, as I don't think there ever was a camera rail at MSG. This is just my speculation though.

I never get TSRTS hate. I love it and think it was an incredible show(s). I know the band hates it but they still destroy just about anybody with that performance.

The fantasy parts are just unnessesary, but that's my opinion. I saw Zep in Tampa that same tour. The Zep in Tampa and the Zep in TSRTS are not the same, and that's by a long shot, again, my opinion. When I saw TSRTS in the theater I was embarrassed to say the least, and that's because I kept bragging about how awesome Zep was in concert and the film wasn't what my friends were expecting, especially with all my bragging about how awesome they are in concert. Celebration Day rights all the wrongs of TSRTS.

Jeff

I never get TSRTS hate. I love it and think it was an incredible show(s). I know the band hates it but they still destroy just about anybody with that performance.

I always figured it had to do with Robert's destroyed voice in the movie/soundtrack, it took me a while to warm to it, that's for sure. JPJ, Jimmy and Bonzo are at their peak though, but to the masses when the singer is out of shape, the rest won't click. If Rob still had his powerful 71 voice I think a lot of the excess would have been forgiven. I still think the original soundtrack has the best No Quarter of all time, the most incredible Stairway solo too.

But who cares what everyone else thinks! Will watch it again anytime! :stereo:

The fantasy parts are just unnessesary, but that's my opinion. I saw Zep in Tampa that same tour. The Zep in Tampa and the Zep in TSRTS are not the same, and that's by a long shot, again, my opinion. When I saw TSRTS in the theater I was embarrassed to say the least, and that's because I kept bragging about how awesome Zep was in concert and the film wasn't what my friends were expecting, especially with all my bragging about how awesome they are in concert. Celebration Day rights all the wrongs of TSRTS.

Jeff

totally agree...I've mentioned elsewhere around here that I wished the re-mastered version had the fantasy sequences removed and replaced with the actual live footage( but that may be impossible due to what others happen to know about the filming/sound f-ups)....cheers Rich

totally agree...I've mentioned elsewhere around here that I wished the re-mastered version had the fantasy sequences removed and replaced with the actual live footage( but that may be impossible due to what others happen to know about the filming/sound f-ups)....cheers Rich

As I recall one of the reasons this never happened was because they were not allowed to change anything bar the sound in the main movie feature due to legal reason. In addition to the lack of footage, that is. It would be sweet with some concert-only versions of NQ, Dazed, Moby Dick (not really) and TSRTS/Rain song.

Archived