How The West Was Won II

Nutrocker

I have lashed together my idea of what this release could be...I doubt we'll ever see such a thing actually officially released, so I suppose this is the next best thing. Based, of course, on the 1977 L.A. Forum shows (I used Millard's 1st gen copies)

I've already sent some of you fellow '77 nuts copies, anybody else who's innarested, shoot me a PM.

The Song Remains The Same (June 21)

The Rover/Sick Again (June 21)

Nobody's Fault But Mine (June 21)

In My Time Of Dying (June 25)

Over The Hills And Far Away (June 21)

Since I've Been Loving You (June 23)

No Quarter (June 23)

Ten Years Gone (June 23)

The Battle Of Evermore (June 27)

Going To California (June 27)

I Can't Be Satisfied/Black Country Woman (June 27)

Bron Y Aur Stomp/Dancing Days (June 27)

White Summer/Black Mountain Side (June 21)

Kashmir (June 21)

Trampled Under Foot (June 23)

Moby Dick (June 23)

Heartbreaker (June 21)

Noise Solo (June 23)

Achilles Last Stand (June 23)

Stairway To Heaven (June 23)

Whole Lotta Love/Rock And Roll (June 23)

It is edited together to flow like an 'official live album', so there are Plantations, but the songs themselves are pure and unadulterated. Sounds pretty good, I think :D

Oh man, that looks cool...but what about It'll Be Me? I know it doesn't sound too good. But it could kinda be HTWWW2's equivalent of Celebration Day's 8mm shots? :lol:

I suppose I could have added "Communication Breakdown" from June 25 as well, but c'est la vie...

Making the song selections -as in which specific nights' versions to use- was just about a no brainer for me, as you can see the 21st and 23rd are heavily favoured. Unfortunately, just based on the inferior quality of the recordings, I never even considered using June 22 or 26th. Millard's tapes are pretty much official release quality.

I have lashed together my idea of what this release could be...I doubt we'll ever see such a thing actually officially released, so I suppose this is the next best thing. Based, of course, on the 1977 L.A. Forum shows (I used Millard's 1st gen copies)

I've already sent some of you fellow '77 nuts copies, anybody else who's innarested, shoot me a PM.

The Song Remains The Same (June 21)

The Rover/Sick Again (June 21)

Nobody's Fault But Mine (June 21)

In My Time Of Dying (June 25)

Over The Hills And Far Away (June 21)

Since I've Been Loving You (June 23)

No Quarter (June 23)

Ten Years Gone (June 23)

The Battle Of Evermore (June 27)

Going To California (June 27)

I Can't Be Satisfied/Black Country Woman (June 27)

Bron Y Aur Stomp/Dancing Days (June 27)

White Summer/Black Mountain Side (June 21)

Kashmir (June 21)

Trampled Under Foot (June 23)

Moby Dick (June 23)

Heartbreaker (June 21)

Noise Solo (June 23)

Achilles Last Stand (June 23)

Stairway To Heaven (June 23)

Whole Lotta Love/Rock And Roll (June 23)

It is edited together to flow like an 'official live album', so there are Plantations, but the songs themselves are pure and unadulterated. Sounds pretty good, I think :D

NICE selections Nutrocker!

Interesting, and great choices. I've always been a sucker for this kind of stuff. I've done it with the vast amounts of 75 sbds and also with the 77 sbds. LA definitely has great performances, but I still think now that we have a 4 night run (Landover 77) it could be done with that as well.

How could it be done with the Landover run, instead of LA? What about selections from all of 77? I have to say, the NY 77 sbd has some performances I'd hate to exclude! (Yes, i know, Landovers in the east. maybe How The East Was Won? But then what would we call a Japan release?) :depressed:;)

Interesting, and great choices. I've always been a sucker for this kind of stuff. I've done it with the vast amounts of 75 sbds and also with the 77 sbds. LA definitely has great performances, but I still think now that we have a 4 night run (Landover 77) it could be done with that as well.

How could it be done with the Landover run, instead of LA? What about selections from all of 77? I have to say, the NY 77 sbd has some performances I'd hate to exclude! (Yes, i know, Landovers in the east. maybe How The East Was Won? But then what would we call a Japan release?) :depressed:;)

If I was gonna do an How The East Was Won for '77 it sure as hell wouldn't be Landover...if only there were better recordings for them New York shows...

I'm considering doing a "1975 tour live album", there's enough soundboards out now to put together a good 'un...but some of those 1975 performances seem so fatiguing to me (40+ minutes of "Dazed and Confused" for example) so I'd really have to psych myself up to do it. Maybe Knebworth or the 1980 tour...

I disagree, but I understand where you're coming from. I truly think that the May 25th and May 30th shows are much better performances than anything else we have on SBD so far, for example the 1st night of NY. You're right, though, my point is out of what WE have NOW on sbd. For the circulating sbds, I feel the 1st and last night of Landover are probably the best.

No Rain Song?

They didn't play Rain Song in '77, Reggie.

Nice comp Nutrocker.

Here's my two bits...like Old Shep, I want to see It'll Be Me in there...maybe add it as a second encore, even though they didn't actually do any 2nd encores in L.A. in 1977.

Stairway: I would go with the 21st over 23rd, because he does a cool little bit in the 2nd half of the solo that he didn't play any other night.

Kashmir: It's gotta be the 25th! Go back and listen to 25 and then 21. As great as 21 is, I think 25 pips it just a bit more.

OTHAFA: This will be controversial but I think 22 is the best version, even though the tape quality isn't Mike Millard standards. The sound is good enough and Jimmy's solo is out of this world. He doesn't stop for an instant(unlike the the other nights where he has to pause and gather himself)...the 22 is a nonstop barrage of swoops and dives and flurries of notes! He even does a little catchy filip towards the end that he didn't play anywhere else. June 22 77: Best. OTHAFA. Ever.

The rest of your choices are pretty spot on...although the 27 Bron Yr Aur Stomp does have that unfortunate tuning mishap which leads to Jimmy getting loss. Maybe "frankenstein" the 23 Stomp and the 27 Dancing Days together?

Happy New Year Nutrocker!

My last post of 2012. See you all in 2013!

Damn it Nutrocker, now you got me wanting to do something similar, only here is mine. Since there are no official recordings of the Back In Black tour by AC/DC, I am bringing it upon myself to make a "Best Of" that tour. I want to do something similar with Zeppelin, eventually, but AC/DC has been more my interest as of late.

Kashmir: It's gotta be the 25th! Go back and listen to 25 and then 21. As great as 21 is, I think 25 pips it just a bit more.

Yeah...in retrospect the June 21 "Kashmir" is a little sloppy in places. For obvious reasons the June 23 "Kashmir" wouldn't have made the cut.

I had no intention of "Frankensteining" anything, I hate that, almost as bad as overdubbing on a live album IMO. If Jimmy Page were ever to undertake a project like this, he can -and probably will- Frankenstein the songs to his heart's content...me, I like things a bit more 'warts and all'.

Cool idea, and nice list. I'm more partial to the "Sick Again" from the 23rd, myself.

Using the June 21 TSRTS (which was the obvious choice, thanks to John Bonham) sorta made using the June 21 "Sick Again" necessary, due to the segue. And I think the part during the first verse where Page's guitar cuts out sounds cool, it's a technical fuck up that doesn't sound like a fuck up, if that makes any sense...

Excellent choices Nutrocker! I'd only change OTHAFA, I like the 23rd better. I also like the guitar/drum break in No Quarter from the 27th more but overall the 23rd IS the choice. I sure wish we had a better copy of the 22nd and 25th!

I know Strider, the question was rhetorical but then again why didn't they play it?

I have Seattle 17/07/77 on DVD and that'll do me.

Don't sell yourself short, Reg. There is far far better '77 out there than Seattle Kingdome. You should avail yourself to it at first opportunity.

Using the June 21 TSRTS (which was the obvious choice, thanks to John Bonham) sorta made using the June 21 "Sick Again" necessary, due to the segue. And I think the part during the first verse where Page's guitar cuts out sounds cool, it's a technical fuck up that doesn't sound like a fuck up, if that makes any sense...

Makes sense! And don't get me wrong, the June 21st recording is awesome - I probably hold the 23rd dearer as it was my first bootleg experience.

if only there were better recordings for them New York shows...

but some of those 1975 performances seem so fatiguing to me (40+ minutes of "Dazed and Confused" for example) so I'd really have to psych myself up to do it.

I really wish either a better tape/more complete tape/ soundboard of 1977/06/14 would show up already.

About '75 Dazed, I used to avoid it like the plague, but now I find myself specifically listening to those versions now, especially the REALLY long ones, like 1975/02/13, 1975/03/19, 1975/03/21, and 1975/03/27. I was listening to the one from the 21st last night, and for a 40:02 minute version, it didn't feel nearly that long! Everyone's playing was just so sharp, and everyone was really on the ball, even Robert was sounding his best of that tour. The 'For What It's Worth' and 'I Shot the Sherriff' portions always get me into a good, funky mood. Led Zeppelin's (specifically Robert's) affinity for reggae never ceases to amaze/amuse me.

The way I measure any version from this year is how good the 'Ethereal Interlude' (i.e. the Woodstock/San Francisco/ etc. portion) is. I feel like I might be in a pretty small demographic when I say these things, but there ain't no Dazed like a good, hot, eerie '75 Dazed from '75. Don't get me wrong, I love the versions from previous years as well, but something about all those time signatures in '75 really keeps me hooked.

And to keep on topic, I love the setlist that you've made, feel free to shoot me a link, but I'm curious as to how you would've constructed it had you not been limited by whether or not the track was recorded by Mike Millard.

I really wish either a better tape/more complete tape/ soundboard of 1977/06/14 would show up already.

About '75 Dazed, I used to avoid it like the plague, but now I find myself specifically listening to those versions now, especially the REALLY long ones, like 1975/02/13, 1975/03/19, 1975/03/21, and 1975/03/27. I was listening to the one from the 21st last night, and for a 40:02 minute version, it didn't feel nearly that long! Everyone's playing was just so sharp, and everyone was really on the ball, even Robert was sounding his best of that tour. The 'For What It's Worth' and 'I Shot the Sherriff' portions always get me into a good, funky mood. Led Zeppelin's (specifically Robert's) affinity for reggae never ceases to amze/amuse me.

The way I measure any version from this year is how good the 'Ethereal Interlude' (i.e. the Woodstock/San Francisco/ etc. portion) is. I feel like I might be in a pretty small demographic when I say these things, but there ain't no Dazed like a good, hot, eerie '75 Dazed from '75. Don't get me wrong, I love the versions from previous years as well, but something about all those time signatures in '75 really keeps me hooked.

And to keep on topic, I love the setlist that you've made, feel free to shoot me a link, but I'm curious as to how you would've constructed it had you not been limited by whether or not the track was recorded by Mike Millard.

Off-topic: I completely agree. The monster that "Dazed and Confused" had become by 1975 is among my most favourite things to listen to.

On-topic (sort of): I wonder if we'll see any of these recordings on the sets that are being constructed.

I love the setlist that you've made, feel free to shoot me a link, but I'm curious as to how you would've constructed it had you not been limited by whether or not the track was recorded by Mike Millard.

Just sticking to the L.A. shows, if the recordings were better, I definitely would have used "In My Time Of Dying" and "No Quarter" from the June 22 show.

If I was to make a full on 1977 compilation -not just How The West Was Won II- I'd really have to think on it. Quite frankly, the only soundboard track I'd be using would probably be "Ten Years Gone" from April 27 (which probably goes to show what I think about the choice of 1977 soundboard recordings). Oh, and the June 11 "No Quarter" if it didn't cut in during the first verse...

Doing a full '77 tour comp would be too much like fuckin' work, though...just sticking to the L.A. Millard recordings was pretty easy.

Archived