Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes

Back in 1999 and 2000 (as well as one performance in 2011 and 1995), Jimmy Page joined The Black Crowes onstage for a tour in those 2 years, doing some Black Crowe songs as well as some Zeppelin tunes. A lot of bootleg footage and audio exists of this show. This is personally my favorite of Pages post-Zeppelin "projects", a shame they didn't do a full album, but I am thankful for what we do have!

A typical setlist (Blockbuster-Sony Music Entertainment Centre, Camden, NJ, USA to be specific, songs may vary from date to date)

1.Celebration Day

2. The Wanton Song

3. Misty Mountain Hop

4. Hots On For Nowhere

5. No Speak No Slave

6. Sick Again

7. What Is And What Should Never Be

8. Horsehead

9. Oh Well

10. Ten Years Gone

11. In My Time Of Dying

12. Your Time Is Gonna Come

13. Remedy

14. The Lemon Song

15. In The Light

16. Shapes Of Things

17. Nobody's Fault But Mine

18. Heartbreaker

Encore

19. Bring It On Home

20. She Talks To Angels

21. Out On The Tiles

22. Whole Lotta Love

Tour Dates:

10.12.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.13.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.14.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.16.99 - Worcester. MA - The Centrum

10.18.99 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theater

10.19.99 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theater

6.24.00 - Tinley Park, IL - New World Theatre

6.26.00 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace at Auburn Hills

6.28.00 - Pittsburgh, PA - Star Lake Amp.

6.30.00 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center

7.02.00 - Mansfield, MA - Great Woods

7.06.00 - Washington, DC - Nissan Pavilion

7.08.00 - Camden, NJ - E Center

7.10.00 - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach=

8.13.00 - Phoenix, AZ - Desert Sky

8.15.00 - Irvine, CA - Irvine Meadows

8.18.00 - George, WA - The Gorge

8.22.00 - Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amp.

8.25.00 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center

8.28.00 - Dallas, TX - Reunion

8.30.00 - Houston, TX - The Woodlands

9.23.00 - Miami, FL - Coral Sky

9.25.00 - Tampa, FL - Ice Palace

9.27.00 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena

10.01.00 - Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena

10.03.00 - Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre

Official Releases

Live At The Greek

Footage:

Edited by TheLastSpartan

I thought it was really well done and that Chris Robinson did a great job on all the stuff I heard. I loved hearing all the guitar parts.I remember when I first heard, about the collaboration, that I was kinda shocked that they were getting together. I don't think I ever heard the Crowes reference the Zeps in any of their interviews/articles, but maybe they did. I have since learned that they had Page on with them for a tune and that was the start of a mutual admiration. I have also heard since that Steve Gorham is a big Bonham fan. He plays great too......cheers Rich

Steve Gorman was to me the best drummer to play with any of the guys after Bonzo died. He has more feeling and swing than Michael Lee or Jason.

Jason was the best choice for the reunion though, because it is just so mythical and fitting to Zep to have the son of the old master pick up his fathers sticks.

Didn't the tour end in Aug 2000, due to Jimmy having back problems? I was in grad school at the time and had no idea they had gotten together until it was already over! Saw the Crowes many times in the early 90's - starting with them opening for Plant on the Manic Nivana tour. Great live band! :yesnod:

Didn't the tour end in Aug 2000, due to Jimmy having back problems? I was in grad school at the time and had no idea they had gotten together until it was already over! Saw the Crowes many times in the early 90's - starting with them opening for Plant on the Manic Nivana tour. Great live band! :yesnod:

You'd be correct! I really think Page and The Black Crowes should tour again and do a full collaboration album as well. I really think they work great together.

Tour Dates:

10.12.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.13.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.14.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.16.99 - Worcester. MA - The Centrum

10.18.99 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theater

10.19.99 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theater

6.24.00 - Tinley Park, IL - New World Theatre

6.26.00 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace at Auburn Hills

6.28.00 - Pittsburgh, PA - Star Lake Amp.

6.30.00 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center

7.02.00 - Mansfield, MA - Great Woods

7.06.00 - Washington, DC - Nissan Pavilion

7.08.00 - Camden, NJ - E Center

7.10.00 - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach

8.13.00 - Phoenix, AZ - Desert Sky

8.15.00 - Irvine, CA - Irvine Meadows

8.18.00 - George, WA - The Gorge

8.22.00 - Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amp.

8.25.00 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center

8.28.00 - Dallas, TX - Reunion

8.30.00 - Houston, TX - The Woodlands

9.23.00 - Miami, FL - Coral Sky

9.25.00 - Tampa, FL - Ice Palace

9.27.00 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena

10.01.00 - Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena

10.03.00 - Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre

This is the correct performance itinerary; all dates after 8.14 (US, Canada, Europe & Japan) were cancelled.

10.09 Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ (Net Aid)

10.12 Roseland Theater New York, NY

10.13 Roseland Theater New York, NY

10.14 Roseland Theater New York, NY

10.16 The Centrum, Worcester, MA

10.18 Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA

10.19 Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA

06.24 New World Music Theatre, Chicago, IL

06.26 The Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

06.28 Star Lake Theater, Pittsburgh, PA

06.29 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI

06.30 PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

07.02 Tweeter Center, Mansfield, MA

07.04 Alltel Pavilion, Raleigh, NC

07.06 Nissan Pavilion, Bristow, VA

07.08 E Center, Camden, NJ

07.10 Jones Beach Amphitheatre, Wantaugh, NY

07.11 Conan O'Brien TV Show, New York, NY

08.12 Mesa Del Sol, Albuquerque, NM

08.14 NBC Studios, Burbank, CA (The Tonight Show)

Edited by SteveAJones

This is the correct performance itinerary; all dates after 8.14 (US, Canada, Europe & Japan) were cancelled.

10.09 Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ (Net Aid)

10.12 Roseland Theater New York, NY

10.13 Roseland Theater New York, NY

10.14 Roseland Theater New York, NY

10.16 The Centrum, Worcester, MA

10.18 Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA

10.19 Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA

06.24 New World Music Theatre, Chicago, IL

06.26 The Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

06.28 Star Lake Theater, Pittsburgh, PA

06.29 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI

06.30 PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, NJ

07.02 Tweeter Center, Mansfield, MA

07.04 Alltel Pavilion, Raleigh, NC

07.06 Nissan Pavilion, Bristow, VA

07.08 E Center, Camden, NJ

07.10 Jones Beach Amphitheatre, Wantaugh, NY

07.11 Conan O'Brien TV Show, New York, NY

08.12 Mesa Del Sol, Albuquerque, NM

08.14 NBC Studios, Burbank, CA (The Tonight Show)

Thank you Steve!

Edited by TheLastSpartan

Than you Steve!

Actually 06.24 New World Music Theatre, Chicago, IL could read New World Music Theatre Tinley Park, IL. Geography in some lists is observed more strictly than in others. On the '77 tour for example, Richfield Coliseum is in Richfield but usually listed as Cleveland.

I was given free tickets by my company for the show in Cleveland. They were awesome seats on the 1st level. To say I was bummed when it was cancelled was an understatement. I still have the unused tickets as a reminder.

I'd love to see Jimmy and the Crows work together again.

I was at the 6/29 show... still not quite sure what I saw, not sure if I enjoyed it altogether. Was confused during the show- left the show really confused. Went with a friend who was a room mate in college, we really enjoyed LZ when we were so young at school. I always planned on seeing them again though 'cept the back spasms cancelled out the dates.

Remembering the conversation afterwards it focused on "they need to tour with a new album of their own music."

I saw them on the July 6th show (Washington DC). I thought they were great together. I remember the pavillion seats not being very full so they told all of us in the pavillion to move closer to the stage and then the people on the lawn to come on in and sit in the pavillion. Was a great night!

• 2 weeks later...

Black Crowes easily one of my favorite bands, after Zeppelin of course, drove from Rochester NY, to NYC, to see one of The Roseland shows, whichever one was Wednesday, great show, then that Friday I saw JPJ on his Zooma tour at Irving Plaza, good week of Zep, and fun in NYC

I was at the show in Tinley Park. Me and 3 other friends drove to Chicago from St. Louis to see this concert and to spend a couple of days there. I remember it began to rain so hard during the concert that me and one of my friends went from the lawn and snuck into the pavilion and got to about the 12th row. I was a little bit buzzed but I remember that I was so happy when Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes played "In the Light" and "Hots on for Nowhere" because I knew that these two song were never played live by Led Zeppelin.

I also went to the Led Zeppelin convention in Cleveland in 2000 and had tickets to the Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes concert that was supposed to happen in Cleveland until it turned out that Jimmy was having back problems and the show was cancelled which absolutely sucked although I still had a very good time at the Led Zeppelin convention and met alot of fellow fan(antical) Led Zeppelin fans. I met Hugh Jones, the publisher of "Proximaty", a Led Zeppelin fanzine and bought some burned bootleg cds from him. I also met and talked to Rick Barret, a huge and well-known collector of anything Led Zeppelin. I also met a few people that I had traded bootlegs with over the years that when the great ZOSO fanzine had been around.

Those were Good Times.

Saw The Crowes in 1990 supporting Aerosmith in Chicago. The Crowes BLEW Aerosmith off the stage!!! The Crowes were on fire, Aerosmith was as flaccid as a 100 yr old's johnson. I always thought Jimmy's playing 1998 - 2001 were his best years post 1975, with 85' and 92' a close second. I read Plant really wanted to do In the Light on both the 75' and 77' tours but JPJ could not reproduce the synth sound live so it was nixed. TBH I would have preferred the original harpsichord intro for the song with the bowed acoustic vs. the synth...that would have been awesome!!! I love harpsichord!!!

I was at the show in Tinley Park. Me and 3 other friends drove to Chicago from St. Louis to see this concert and to spend a couple of days there. I remember it began to rain so hard during the concert that me and one of my friends went from the lawn and snuck into the pavilion and got to about the 12th row.

20000626ChicagoSun-Times_zpsf20de7ea.jpg

Chicago Sun-Times, June 26, 2000

20000626ChicagoTribune_zps1ef5b2bb.jpg

Chicago Tribune, June 26, 2000

20000627ChicagoTribune_zps4e5b3df4.jpg

Chicago Tribune, June 27, 2000

All scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

20000626ChicagoSun-Times_zpsf20de7ea.jpg

Chicago Sun-Times, June 26, 2000

20000626ChicagoTribune_zps1ef5b2bb.jpg

Chicago Tribune, June 26, 2000

20000627ChicagoTribune_zps4e5b3df4.jpg

Chicago Tribune, June 27, 2000

All scans courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Thanks for posting those two reviews.

I have probably been to over 100 concerts at St. Louis' (actually in Maryland Heights, MO) Riverport Amphitheater during the 1990's standing on the lawn. This company I worked for always got about 10 free tickets to most of the concerts at Riverport. I was friends with the lady who got them in the mail and she would always let me have two lawn tickets if I wanted them. Anyway, out of all those concerts I saw there, I do not seem to really recall it ever raining.

Me and my friends go to Chicago to see Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes and, as I recalled earlier and the reviews above mentioned, it rained so hard that I took shelter under the pavilion with just one of my friends. The other two did not want to try and sneek in as they thought we would get busted but it was easy to slip past the security. Anyway, I remember it was still cold and wet under the roof but I did enjoy the show more than I would have standing on the lawn under a torrential downpour. Like the review said, "Upon Us All, a Little Rain Must Fall". However, in this case it was alot of rain.

Edited by kingzoso

• 2 years later...