Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes

I saw three shows total in the NYC area. All the shows were very good, standing out was the Jones Beach show which had rarities

"In The Light" and "Hots on for Nowhere" played. I am a guitar player and for me it was actually weird hearing the Zep studio versions

being played, as Jimmy was absolutely not known for using this approach, even on songs where one guitar could come very close

To duplicating the studio version. Also with the the three- guitar attack Page had to somewhat circumscribe some of the wilder

Elements of his soloing, although ultimately Jimmy pretty much proved that he could recreate Zep's studio guitar trickery live

With two other guitarists.

• 5 months later...

We were at the Tinley Park (Chicago) show. I have never been soaked like that before, as it was raining sideways into the pavilion, but it was worth it. Great show, enjoyed it a lot. There were cameras there, so they did film it, but it was never officially released.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/01/2013 at 9:02 PM, TheLastSpartan said:

Back in 1999 and 2000 (as well as one performance in 2011 and 1995), Jimmy Page joined The Black Crowes onstage for a tour in those 2 years, doing some Black Crowe songs as well as some Zeppelin tunes. A lot of bootleg footage and audio exists of this show. This is personally my favorite of Pages post-Zeppelin "projects", a shame they didn't do a full album, but I am thankful for what we do have!

A typical setlist (Blockbuster-Sony Music Entertainment Centre, Camden, NJ, USA to be specific, songs may vary from date to date)

1.Celebration Day

2. The Wanton Song

3. Misty Mountain Hop

4. Hots On For Nowhere

5. No Speak No Slave

6. Sick Again

7. What Is And What Should Never Be

8. Horsehead

9. Oh Well

10. Ten Years Gone

11. In My Time Of Dying

12. Your Time Is Gonna Come

13. Remedy

14. The Lemon Song

15. In The Light

16. Shapes Of Things

17. Nobody's Fault But Mine

18. Heartbreaker

Encore

19. Bring It On Home

20. She Talks To Angels

21. Out On The Tiles

22. Whole Lotta Love

Tour Dates:

10.12.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.13.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.14.99 - New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

10.16.99 - Worcester. MA - The Centrum

10.18.99 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theater

10.19.99 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theater

6.24.00 - Tinley Park, IL - New World Theatre

6.26.00 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace at Auburn Hills

6.28.00 - Pittsburgh, PA - Star Lake Amp.

6.30.00 - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center

7.02.00 - Mansfield, MA - Great Woods

7.06.00 - Washington, DC - Nissan Pavilion

7.08.00 - Camden, NJ - E Center

7.10.00 - Wantagh, NY - Jones Beach=

8.13.00 - Phoenix, AZ - Desert Sky

8.15.00 - Irvine, CA - Irvine Meadows

8.18.00 - George, WA - The Gorge

8.22.00 - Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amp.

8.25.00 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center

8.28.00 - Dallas, TX - Reunion

8.30.00 - Houston, TX - The Woodlands

9.23.00 - Miami, FL - Coral Sky

9.25.00 - Tampa, FL - Ice Palace

9.27.00 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena

10.01.00 - Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena

10.03.00 - Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre

Official Releases

Live At The Greek

Footage:

Ten Years Gone. Fuckin incredible. Easily my favourite Zep tune....and therefore my favourite song ever. 

^^If it turns out to be absolutely true, which so far it looks to be though still in the rumour stage, that's exciting news! I will get there at midnight and be first in line for something like that! That's what I did for the live at the greek red white and blue vinyl.

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 weeks later...

As the release is a 10", my best guess is it would be either the four Led Zeppelin songs played at Jones Beach that are not on Live At The Greek or the for Black Crowes songs played. Most likely the former.

The Led Zeppelin songs were;  Wanton Song, Misty Mountain Hop, Hots On For Nowhere and Bring It On Home.
The Black Crowes songs were;  No Speak No Slave, Horsehead, Remedy and She Talks To Angels.
There was also a cover of Muddy Water's I Can't Be Satisfied played.

• 11 months later...

I was at the show two days before this one - it was my second Page/Crowes show - the first one was in Worcester MA Oct 1999 when Joe Perry got on stage to jam Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well - that was killer.  Anyway on July 8, 2000 when we saw them in Camden NJ, they played this song, which was always one of my favorite Crowes songs.  A friend who was with us (a casual Crowes fan who was really there just to see Jimmy) turned to me when this song started.  He said "what Zeppelin song is this?"  I said it is a Crowes song and he said "well then the Crowes are better than I thought!"  No shit.  

Edited by John M

I also was at 10/16/99 in Worcester, Ma.  Saw them again the following summer again at the old mansfield great woods (xfinity center now)...both shows were epic and let jimmy showcase all the skills he had regained during the 1998 P & P tour.  His talent was such around the year 2000 that when he came out of Black Crowes tour he should have kept going with Chris Cornell, JPJ, and Mike Bordin or something as he was as talented and relevant as he ever would be again, at least until the o2 happened.  Or he really could have made a go of it long term with the Crowes as they were certainly the real deal as far heavy blues acts go.  As mentioned elsewhere on this post he said his back was the culprit...such a pity!

I have the three disc, white vinyl of the Live at the Greek album.  I feel that the ten years gone and the trio of sloppy drunk, shapes of things to come, and woke up this morning are the best tracks on the album.  Solo from shapes is fantastic...and ten years gone has all the guitar tracks being played out live, so good!

One of the funniest memories of this time was the Conan Obrien appearance of Page and the Crowes.  They did Your Time is Gonna Come and Wonton Song and then during the interview, the masturbating bear came running out and attacked Jimmy and Chris Robinson.  Such a simpler time it was...

It was a blur then, and even more so now, but I'm pretty sure I saw The Who & Robert Plant one night @ The Palace of Auburn Hills, and Jimmy & the Crowes used the same stage the next night.  A back to back rock marathon with 18 holes of a High School reunion golf outing in between.  I remember it took me about a week to recover.  The guitar mix was great, especially on "Ten Years Gone", but Jimmy was pretty laid back compared to the '98 tour.  Have the cd, but it's probably the Zep-related disc I listen to the least.

That made 4 times seeing Jimmy live in 5 years.....the good old days for sure.

30 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

It was a blur then, and even more so now, but I'm pretty sure I saw The Who & Robert Plant one night @ The Palace of Auburn Hills, and Jimmy & the Crowes used the same stage the next night.  A back to back rock marathon with 18 holes of a High School reunion golf outing in between.  I remember it took me about a week to recover.  The guitar mix was great, especially on "Ten Years Gone", but Jimmy was pretty laid back compared to the '98 tour.  Have the cd, but it's probably the Zep-related disc I listen to the least.

You saw Page & TBC at The Palace of Auburn Hills on 6/26/00 and The Who the following night. Bill Curbishley, who managed Jimmy and The Who at the time, set the tour up so that these two groups would tour simultaneously by alternating who would have the opening date in any given city. You probably did see Robert Plant open for The Who at the same venue, but that was 8/23/02. Robert didn't tour US in '99-'00.   

Edited by SteveAJones

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, sixpense said:

I believe Jimmy said there was an issue with The Black Crowes' record company relating to releasing any of their own tracks during their collaboration. 

Actually, The Black Crowes were dropped by their record label shortly after Ross Halfin had helped to coordinate for them to perform with Jimmy at a charity gig in London in June 1999. So their manager, Peter Angelus, contacted Jimmy's manager, Bill Curbishley, to inquire if Jimmy might be interested in doing some shows together. This lead to the October 1999 US dates followed by the summer tour and live cd the following year. Basically, it was a marriage of convenience that coincided with Robert leaving Page/Plant and TBC trying to get picked up by another label.  

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

You saw Page & TBC at The Palace of Auburn Hills on 6/26/00 and The Who the following night. Bill Curbishley, who managed Jimmy and The Who at the time, set the tour up so that these two groups would tour simultaneously by alternating who would have the opening date in any given city. You probably did see Robert Plant open for The Who at the same venue, but that was 8/23/02. Robert didn't tour US in '99-'00.   

Thanks....You confirmed the blur.  And you're right....I did see both.  The 2002 show was right after John died.  

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Actually, The Black Crowes were dropped by their record label shortly after Ross Halfin had helped to coordinate for them to perform with Jimmy at a charity gig in London in June 1999. So their manager, Peter Angelus, contacted Jimmy's manager, Bill Curbishley, to inquire if Jimmy might be interested in doing some shows together. This lead to the October 1999 US dates followed by the summer tour and live cd the following year. Basically, it was a marriage of convenience that coincided with Robert leaving Page/Plant and TBC trying to get picked up by another label.  

Jesus, Half-Man really is the kiss of death. Damn succubus!

19 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Jesus, Half-Man really is the kiss of death. Damn succubus!

:lol:

They may have been dropped shortly before that gig, I don't remember for certain. I'd have to check my notes, but they were definitely dropped, which is why Angelus called about two months after the charity gig. It was Jimmy who asked Ross if he could help line someone up to work with for the charity gig as it was becoming clearer with each passing day that Robert was not returning to the fold.

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I recall Jimmy saying that he was not happy that no Black Crowes songs they performed live tracks were allowed to be released because of their record company.

Edited by sixpense

1 hour ago, sixpense said:

I recall Jimmy saying that he was not happy that no Black Crowes songs they performed live tracks were allowed to be released because of their record company.

That was some bullshit right there, in fact, I always wished the Crowes / Page shows were more a 50 / 50 mix of Crowes & Zep tunes instead of mostly Zep tunes. If Jimmy had joined the Crowes as suggested above I believe it would have been a great partnership and some very interesting music would have been made.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent excerpt of an interview with Chris Robinson:

Like you, Audley Freed and Andy Hess played on the tour The Black Crowes did backing Jimmy Page around 1999. The As The Crow Flies announcement mentioned the possibility of covering some Led Zeppelin again. What's it like singing to Jimmy Page's guitar? His phrasing and tone just have a way of being so exciting.

When Jimmy picks up the guitar, and he just kkrr, krrr, it's electric you know? It's alive. And that's the thing: it's not a reproduction. Even though he's playing "I Should Have Quit You" or whatever, every time you hear that kabow, bow, bow, bow, bow, bow, kabow. He's on fire when he plays. And of course, that's why I'm up there, that's why he asked me to come sing those songs because I'm not preening and prancing around thinking I'm something I'm not. I want to be on fire as well, in that kind of music.

I really enjoyed what you did (with Jimmy Page) with "Custard Pie," "Sick Again" and "In My Time of Dying" particularly.

But think about it. I got to open for Robert (Plant) when I was 23 years old. I spent two tours, back-to-back opening for Aerosmith and Robert Plant as a little frontman, so ultimately Robert has my great respect and I had to find some way to sing those songs that people who love Led Zeppelin would still like them but I can't sing like Robert Plant. No one can. So it was cool that Jimmy also, Jimmy's like, "Do your thing. Do your thing." I hear it occasionally when we're driving around, Earle Bailey will play it on Deep Tracks on Sirius XM, and he'll play like "Custard Pie," like you said, and I'll say, "Huh, that's pretty rad, man. We did a good job." And Robert told me that I did a good job so he gave me his blessing so that's all that I needed.

One of the great things about The Black Crowes was that in addition to giving us cool new music to listen to, the band also pointed fans toward some awesome artists who were somewhat obscure. For example, I found out about Gram Parsons because of you (and The Crowes doing live covers of Parsons' gorgeous ballad "She"). In addition to doing Crowes songs, and maybe a Zeppelin tune or two, or you going to be working out any interesting new covers for As The Crow Flies?

Yeah, I'm not going to tell you though. You've got to come to the show and see what we learned. [Laughs] I'm not giving it away man, I'm still a capitalist somewhere in here - I'm just kidding. Yeah, we discussed a few cover tunes but I have some ideas based around some of the keys and stuff to see where maybe we could jam a little into something that people would be excited or surprised to hear.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/04/black_crowes_chris_robinson_ji.html