What are yer thoughts on JPJ's backing vocals on "Battle Of Evermore" (in 1977)?

Nutrocker

JPJ's backing vocals on "Battle Of Evermore"  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of them?

• I like 'em!
    • I don't like them, but I can live with them.
    • Can't stand 'em!
    • They should have got somebody else...

The Third album is- to me, one of the bands finest hours. I really don't have a fav Zep album or a fav. song, because it varies with mood.

But, Zep 3 is one that I listen too more than most of the others...Presence, Zep 3 and the first album are the one's I've played the most over the last 20-25 years. So, to me that says something. I really wish they would have done more of it (acoustic) towards the end of their career, but-that's another story. 'That's the Way' and 'Tangerine' are some of my favorite tunes off the album. And I'm not much bothered by 'Hat's off' like some people are either. It grew on me.

I agree...the third album is where Zeppelin really seemed to find their 'voice' as a band, as opposed to old blues covers and whatnot. Presence, PG and III are the only ones of their studio albums I still listen to, just too burned out on their other stuff.

Do you own any CSN&Y records, Nut? I have the first two on vinyl.

I've never tried playing those tunes back-to-back(that you mentioned), but it sounds like something that would be a challenge and good fun..I must try that one day soon.

Got all the CSN/CSNY albums...my favourite is actually their 1977 CSN album, though it sounds nothing like the first two. Stephen Stills' Manassas project is also one of my favourite albums of all time, best thing he ever did IMO.

My point with playing "Friends" and "Carry On" back to back is that the rhythm of the two -the main acoustic guitar part- is very similar...and "Carry On" came out first, so Page obviously liked it. It's not a lift, but clearly Page was inspired by the song when he wrote "Friends".

And lastly, I'm sorry if that little "debate" went overboard on your thread. That wasn't the intention, but sometimes it's seems terribly hard for a few members to understand where your coming from, even if you present things three different ways, (if put in that position) with good intentions I might add ,along with details, reasons as to why or why not and/or facts, while still actually agreeing ...and it still goes over one's head. But that's the nature of this forum sometimes, I gather. No biggie.

that is a pretty weak thing to say, especially when you were actually doing that to me. i can agree to disagree with anyone, anytime. just don't get petty and patronising. ok???

edited to add :

sorry everyone else if that came over as bitchy, i really don't mean to, it's just that i found that last statement rather nasty. sorry again.

Again, take it to PM's, guys. I'm asking nicely...pretty please, with sugar on top...

I think he did just fine on the live versions of The Battle of Evermore from 1977.

But you can get a better idea of how he can really sing from some of his songs on his first solo album from 1985- 'Scream for Help' I bought this when it forst came out in 1985-good stuff.

When you Fall in Love-John Paul Jones-lead vocals

Bad Child- John Paul Jones -lead vocals.

To me, it was a little strange the first night(6-21) hearing JPJ on the backing vocals, but as the week went on I gradually grew used to it.

One thing is for sure...it sounded better in the arena and on audience tapes than it does on the Soundboards.

That said, I still wish Robert would have called Sandy Denny up before the tour and invited her along for the ride so she could do the song proper justice. For one thing, it would have given her much needed exposure and helped her career...and possibly saved her life.

I mean they had Dr. Larry Badgely on the plane...they could have found room for Sandy.

To me, it was a little strange the first night(6-21) hearing JPJ on the backing vocals, but as the week went on I gradually grew used to it.

One thing is for sure...it sounded better in the arena and on audience tapes than it does on the Soundboards.

It must have been trippy to see..."And now for something completely different..." :lol:

Yer right, Jonesy's deficiencies as a vocalist really show on the soundboards.

That said, I still wish Robert would have called Sandy Denny up before the tour and invited her along for the ride so she could do the song proper justice. For one thing, it would have given her much needed exposure and helped her career...and possibly saved her life.

Indeed...Ms Denny's ending was a sad one. She deserved better, but we all dig our own graves in the end.

I mean they had Dr. Larry Badgely on the plane...they could have found room for Sandy.

And Sandy probably wouldn't have gotten thrown off the tour for skimping on the tour drug supply like the good Doctor did!

it would have been amazing to hear it done live with sandy....

Indeed...Ms Denny's ending was a sad one. She deserved better, but we all dig our own graves in the end.

I knew that she had passed, but it wasn't until I stumbled across one of those "Musicians Who Died Young" pieces that I learned she too had a substance abuse issue and died young.

I'm guessing Dallas Knebs expected more naysayers...more "Can't stand 'em" or "Get another singer" votes.

I only see one "Can't stand 'em!" vote...I do find that a bit surprising. I'd be curious to know who that sole vote belonged to...

Nutrocker,as mentioned by jb 126,click on View.That vote belongs to me and here's my post:

http://forums.ledzep...post__p__652544

Ah yes...forgive me, I'm old :lol:

Never mind the poll results, having looked at who voted in the thing (thanks everybody!) I notice that after Rock Historian and Slave To Zep had their little argument that pissed away nearly a page of this thread, Rock Historian never even fucking voted in the poll! :rolleyes: Dude just likes to argue with people, methinks...

JPJ's vocals on Scream for Help sound like Alan Parsons to me. His singing on BOE were just wrong, I can stand it but they are weak. I think they should have had the local promoter get a townie talent to sing the Sandy Denny part. The band would not have had to pay her (if they did not want to, she would be singing with Zeppelin god damn it!!!), and the lady would have gotten exposure to boot. Win - Win in my book. Imagine a young Sarah Brightman, Debbie Harry, or Pat Benatar singing response! Or even better, Siouxsie Sue, Annie Lennox, Aimee Mann, possibly Ann Wilson...Except for Ann Wilson, the rest were virtual unknowns at the time. To me the dream would be either Annie Lennox or Siouxsie Sue...just imagine Siouxsie Sue singing response (see Last Beat of My Heart from 1990 lalapalooza)...HUZZAH!!!

JPJ's vocals on Scream for Help sound like Alan Parsons to me. His singing on BOE were just wrong, I can stand it but they are weak. I think they should have had the local promoter get a townie talent to sing the Sandy Denny part. The band would not have had to pay her (if they did not want to, she would be singing with Zeppelin god damn it!!!), and the lady would have gotten exposure to boot. Win - Win in my book. Imagine a young Sarah Brightman, Debbie Harry, or Pat Benatar singing response! Or even better, Siouxsie Sue, Annie Lennox, Aimee Mann, possibly Ann Wilson...Except for Ann Wilson, the rest were virtual unknowns at the time. To me the dream would be either Annie Lennox or Siouxsie Sue...just imagine Siouxsie Sue singing response (see Last Beat of My Heart from 1990 lalapalooza)...HUZZAH!!!

I don't know if you realize this, but Siouxsie Sue was hanging out with the Sex Pistols and part of the UK punk-scene in 1977, so I doubt she'd be available for the '77 U.S. tour.

Maybe when Page & Plant did their Un-Ledded thing in 1994...that would have been the time to ask her.

Maybe when Page & Plant did their Un-Ledded thing in 1994...that would have been the time to ask her.

Definitely would have been an improvement over the broad who wailed her way through the Unledded version...I know she was Plant's squeeze at the time, but still...

They should have gotten someone else. I'll give Jonesy credit for trying his best, but his backing vocals weren't very good. It is implausible for them to hire a backup singer for just one song, so maybe Bonzo could have done them?

Why not...could have lined up a new lady for every date who would have done it for free...shit...Chuck Berry did that with an entire band on every date for about 60 years...just demands a Fender Bassman and Lincoln towncar...and a backup band...just put it in the rider...

Definitely would have been an improvement over the broad who wailed her way through the Unledded version...I know she was Plant's squeeze at the time, but still...

Plant did have a thing for brunette lady singers...Linda Rhondstat...Anne Wilson...that lady that sang "Black Velvet"...etc...lol.

JPJ's vocals on Scream for Help sound like Alan Parsons to me. singing on BHis OE were just wrong, I can stand it but they are weak. I think they should have had the local promoter get a townie talent to sing the Sandy Denny part. The band would not have had to pay her (if they did not want to, she would be singing with Zeppelin god damn it!!!), and the lady would have gotten exposure to boot. Win - Win in my book. Imagine a young Sarah Brightman, Debbie Harry, or Pat Benatar singing response! Or even better, Siouxsie Sue, Annie Lennox, Aimee Mann, possibly Ann Wilson...Except for Ann Wilson, the rest were virtual unknowns at the time. To me the dream would be either Annie Lennox or Siouxsie Sue...just imagine Siouxsie Sue singing response (see Last Beat of My Heart from 1990 lalapalooza)...HUZZAH!!!

thankyou! this is exactly what i have been saying. :)

yeah, i like the JPJ version better than the page and plant one with that lady. at least with jones we weren't supposed to be impressed by his singing or anything. he just kind of filled in. and it was cute and funny in a way.

i just wish we had at least one live version with Sandy Denny.

but listening to a few of the different versions Sandy was pretty much perfect for this song. her voice and the type of song it was fit perfectly. i can't think of any other voice which would have worked as well or better .

That lady/broad is Najma Akhtar and she was indeed responsible for the "yeowlee cat" version of BOE. :thumbdown:

Aw, I didn't wanna remember her name :lol: Bringing her in instead of somebody who could actually sing -girlfriend or not- was a WTF moment up there with John Lennon letting Yoko Ono sing on his solo albums, or Paul McCartney letting Linda McCartney take the occasional lead vocal on a Wings tune. Although maybe that's going a bit too far...I can just about tolerate Linda's vocals...Yoko or Najma? Not so much...

Plant used to date Alannah Myles as well...she coulda done a better job than Najma Akhtar! I understand that Page/Plant were aiming for a World Music connection on Unledded, but she wasn't even singing the fuckin' lyrics half the time...

Archived