Jimmy Page on Hendrix

Geezer

I agree, I fail to see how people can say who is the best guitar player. Most people are biased towards the guitarist that they like. EG people on this website tend to say that Jimmy Page is the best guitarist of all time purely because they are Led Zeppelin fans. I think it is impossible to single out one guitarist and give them that accolade. No two of them are the same.As for Jimmy on Jimi, I'm sure it is respect for another great guitarist.

Funny ...this was a dispute way back in high school...I guess it is style and a matter of opinion I only know I like listening to Page the best ...I was only a marginal fan of Hendrix though I respect his genius. I think Page is more versatile and even melodic at times but that's just me. I don't mean any disrespect to Jimi H but I think musicians that died prematurely sometimes get the nod based on that a bit. Although , yeah I think Bonham truly was the best drummer and not because he died young(sadly).

Are you sure that's an actual quote I've never seen it

I see Geezer just posted it. I'm a big fan of Page, to say the least, but I'm also a Hendrix fan, so that quote jumped out at me and I remembered it word for word.

I'd just like to say that, although it's clear that Jimmy is proud of his accomplishments - and rightfully so - I doubt very much he gives any weight at all to the concept of "best guitarist."

Watch him grinning ear-to-ear and just lighting up while playing air guitar to the beginning of Link Wray's "Rumble" in It Might Get Loud. There's like 2 chords going on in that intro...but they sound FUCKING COOL.

That's probably the main thing he cares about - although having wizard-like skills across a huge spectrum of styles doesn't hurt either!

it's the way Page looks and pronounces the word "attitude" that gets me in that clip

Watch him grinning ear-to-ear and just lighting up while playing air guitar to the beginning of Link Wray's "Rumble" in It Might Get Loud. There's like 2 chords going on in that intro...but they sound FUCKING COOL.

That's probably the main thing he cares about - although having wizard-like skills across a huge spectrum of styles doesn't hurt either!

Jimmy has only ever been complimentary of Hendrix' work as a guitarist - and rightfully so. I'm pretty sure he also made a remark to the effect that Clapton was never able to "get over" Hendrix, and was always chasing that sound.

It's always cool to hear snippets of influence from the one to the other, (e.g., Jimmy's impromptu cover of "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" on 15/01/1973).

What is the definition of "greatest?"

If you mean, most inspired, than I would argue that Hendrix probably was the most inspiring electric guitarist of his time and in many ways still is.

Anyone who seeks to play electric guitar would have to be inspired in some way by Hendrix.

Page paid homage to Hendrix during several Zep performances back in their heyday, and if he had made the effort to actually see Hendrix perform (and he had several opportunities) I'm sure he would have come away knowing he saw and "Experienced" something very special.

But Hendrix isn't "greater" than Page just like Page isn't "greater" than Hendrix.

You have to evaluate each guitarist on their own merits. There would be no Led Zeppelin without Page so to that end, Page was indespensible and as great as he needed to be in order to draw attention to the band and elevate it to be one of the greatest hard rock bands ever.

But it's best you veer away from this idea of "greatest" and just enjoy and evaluate each guitarist for their own contributions, particular, for the music they helped to create.

Robert Plant makes reference to the "loss" of Jimi Hendrix during this Led Zeppelin concert from September 19, 1970 at New York's Madison Square Garden show right around the 37:45 mark. He gives a brief, however, Heartfelt speech.

Also included are two "rare" songs performed by the "Mighty Zep": "Out on the Tiles" and some of "Gallow's Pole" during an Awesome "Communication Breakdown". This is one Hell of a Bootleg show from the Greatest Band of All-Time. Listen and judge for Yourself.

question is, when will the lists that go round and round, have anyone under 30 on the list?

oh and ill say they were two different players but as far as versitlity goes, Page wins, 6 string, double neck, acoustic banjo, mandolin, sitar, theramin,

Hendrix-strat, 12 string on one song

That..."Hey Joe" is a fake/tribute. And a bad one, I'd have to say...it has elements of the Hendrix recording (I think?) mixed with a 1968 demo recorded by the Band of Joy. Absolutely no Led Zeppelin there. Not to mention the fact that Led Zeppelin did not tour in 1974...

Archived