Led Zeppelin Over Europe 1980

Nutrocker

I was pretty much listening to nothing but the shows from Europe 80 for a couple of months. There is a common misconception that the entire tour was captured on awesome soundboards. Not so, TDOLZ released the initial E 80 soundboard run in what I believe was book form. I have never seen one. The results were mixed.  Some were greatly improved on by EV and Godfather. For my money Godfathers A MEMORY FROZEN IN TIME is the best sounding of all. The sound is very full and no tinny or thin guitar. WLL is a complete beast with JPJ outplaying Jimmy on the bass. It wasn't really a bad night for Jimmy either but JPJ was thumping his balls off.

Swinging Pig produced a horrid  6/21 document that was incomplete and somehow made to sound worse than any other board. If memory serves Rain Song is the first song. They even made Heartbreaker sound weak but it was easily Jimmy's best playing of the tour brutally heavy and more intense with each stanza. IMO easily a top  performance of the song, EVER. It can be found on numerous No Label or web only sources

The boards are often pretty dry and some of the performances were not so good. Jimmy was really hot sometimes and sometimes not, and sometimes awful. This would often be the case during a singular show.  He never hit the main layer of the  Hot Dog solo and but for a few times hit his flourishes on All My Love. He was also often experimenting with different drone effects in an effort to make over some of the material for the 81 tour. Thus the peculiar guitar sounds.

Robert was often dour and sometimes disinterested especially on Stairway but every night he nailed All My Love, some of is best vocals can be found littered through 'e80".   6/24 Hannover was the worst. In all of the Zep canon this was Jimmy's rock bottom. He solo's and the band is lost and just stops playing. The once maestro like performances of White Summer/Black Mountainside sound like a mish mash of bum notes and cords , it's sad.

The Audience Recordings of Vienna and Munich sound excellent but Munich is marred by chatty tapers. I'm really a hoping a Munich Soundboard surfaces because it's a very good show. Vienna picked up after Jimmy was hit with a firecracker while again fumbling WS/BMS . The show took off after that.   

My intense study of the tour is noted in this thread but I did not include Zurich or Frankfurt because they are head and shoulders above anything from "E80" with the exception of 6/21 Rotterdam. Just not quite as good even with a weak Kashmir on the Zurich tape. By the way, since I wrote that piece I came across 6/30 by Bertha that beats everything  i've heard previously to hell, for me it's the definitive document of for Frankfurt.

I'm sure Trampled would have been extended on the 81 tour but they where rehearsing Carouselambra an awful lot and that would have likely been the centerpiece with possibly more guitar in an extended jam, ala No Quarter. We'll never know. Just like the WLL/Heartbreaker from 6/17 it wasn't bad and perhaps needed tweaking and was to be brought back. If you remember the 2/14/75 version of Heartbreaker you'll realize the band was trying to make it a new medley of sorts long before 1980 This tour was meant to be a regrouping and experimental jaunt for a much larger tour,

I wanted to hear the band as raw as possible so I didn't use any of The Winston Omega Tapes for my study but for 6/17 Dortmund (rarely found at the right speed, but runs perfect here), 6/18 Cologne, 6/20 Brussels and at your peril 6/24 Hannover. The  Winston Omega Tapes are my "go to" sources. For  Tangible  documents I have not found one for 6/17 and the selection is sparse for the others. Hidden gems are a plenty on this tour. It is Zep at it's weakest but as I mentioned in my previous post when the Magick appears it's magic and it is Led Zeppelin !

It's not  ALL tinny or thin  guitars play GF's WLL from Berlin , KC or Ck's 6/21 Heartbreaker ,  Bertha's All My Love Trampled and Achilles from 6/30 and the T2 ('07) Train and Communication Breakdown from 6/23 in succession. You won't regret it. Throw NBF from 6/18 too.

5 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

I was pretty much listening to nothing but the shows from Europe 80 for a couple of months. There is a common misconception that the entire tour was captured on awesome soundboards. Not so, TDOLZ released the initial E 80 soundboard run in what I believe was book form. I have never seen one. The results were mixed.  Some were greatly improved on by EV and Godfather. For my money Godfathers A MEMORY FROZEN IN TIME is the best sounding of all. The sound is very full and no tinny or thin guitar. WLL is a complete beast with JPJ outplaying Jimmy on the bass. It wasn't really a bad night for Jimmy either but JPJ was thumping his balls off.

Swinging Pig produced a horrid  6/21 document that was incomplete and somehow made to sound worse than any other board. If memory serves Rain Song is the first song. They even made Heartbreaker sound weak but it was easily Jimmy's best playing of the tour brutally heavy and more intense with each stanza. IMO easily a top  performance of the song, EVER. It can be found on numerous No Label or web only sources

The boards are often pretty dry and some of the performances were not so good. Jimmy was really hot sometimes and sometimes not, and sometimes awful. This would often be the case during a singular show.  He never hit the main layer of the  Hot Dog solo and but for a few times hit his flourishes on All My Love. He was also often experimenting with different drone effects in an effort to make over some of the material for the 81 tour. Thus the peculiar guitar sounds.

Robert was often dour and sometimes disinterested especially on Stairway but every night he nailed All My Love, some of is best vocals can be found littered through 'e80".   6/24 Hannover was the worst. In all of the Zep canon this was Jimmy's rock bottom. He solo's and the band is lost and just stops playing. The once maestro like performances of White Summer/Black Mountainside sound like a mish mash of bum notes and cords , it's sad.

The Audience Recordings of Vienna and Munich sound excellent but Munich is marred by chatty tapers. I'm really a hoping a Munich Soundboard surfaces because it's a very good show. Vienna picked up after Jimmy was hit with a firecracker while again fumbling WS/BMS . The show took off after that.   

My intense study of the tour is noted in this thread but I did not include Zurich or Frankfurt because they are head and shoulders above anything from "E80" with the exception of 6/21 Rotterdam. Just not quite as good even with a weak Kashmir on the Zurich tape. By the way, since I wrote that piece I came across 6/30 by Bertha that beats everything  i've heard previously to hell, for me it's the definitive document of for Frankfurt.

I'm sure Trampled would have been extended on the 81 tour but they where rehearsing Carouselambra an awful lot and that would have likely been the centerpiece with possibly more guitar in an extended jam, ala No Quarter. We'll never know. Just like the WLL/Heartbreaker from 6/17 it wasn't bad and perhaps needed tweaking and was to be brought back. If you remember the 2/14/75 version of Heartbreaker you'll realize the band was trying to make it a new medley of sorts long before 1980 This tour was meant to be a regrouping and experimental jaunt for a much larger tour,

I wanted to hear the band as raw as possible so I didn't use any of The Winston Omega Tapes for my study but for 6/17 Dortmund (rarely found at the right speed, but runs perfect here), 6/18 Cologne, 6/20 Brussels and at your peril 6/24 Hannover. The  Winston Omega Tapes are my "go to" sources. For  Tangible  documents I have not found one for 6/17 and the selection is sparse for the others. Hidden gems are a plenty on this tour. It is Zep at it's weakest but as I mentioned in my previous post when the Magick appears it's magic and it is Led Zeppelin !

It's not  ALL tinny or thin  guitars play GF's WLL from Berlin , KC or Ck's 6/21 Heartbreaker ,  Bertha's All My Love Trampled and Achilles from 6/30 and the T2 ('07) Train and Communication Breakdown from 6/23 in succession. You won't regret it. Throw NBF from 6/18 too.

And as soon as you post em all to Mega, I'll grab em. :whistling:

4 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

LOL. No worries my brother from Downunder. So far, these are all bound for Australia.

I bought an entire collection from a poor fella and still have more culling to do. I'm downsizing along the way.

I didnt forget. 

IMG_0269.JPG

Sweet.

9 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

LOL. No worries my brother from Downunder. So far, these are all bound for Australia.

I bought an entire collection from a poor fella and still have more culling to do. I'm downsizing along the way.

I didnt forget. 

IMG_0269.JPG

I'm falling in love with you in a completely hetrosexual way, man....

LOL....

Archived