In My Time of Dying a Christian themed tune?

ForceofNature

One thing I have always wondered is if Plant was/is an avid Christian and if that is what inspired this tune? Or rather is he just using Jesus in a thematic symbolic way? It just sparked my curiousity after hearing the song and for the first time really payed attention to the lyrics and trying to decipher its meaning and origins

There really aren't that many religious themes expressed in Zeppelin's tunes although a lot of spiritual themes are.

Is Dylan not quoted on the album as being the writer??

Nope, Bob lifted it from Blind Willie as well (and credited it "Trad. arranged by Dylan", which is really what Zeppelin shoulda done as well)

But having said that I always though it was about cheese. If you listen to the last bit I think Plant sings "oh my cheeses, oh my cheeses" ;)

Or, "Oh Georgina...oh Georgina", as Plant sang on some of the live versions (sometimes with an occasional "Lick yer pussy!" thrown in for good measure! :lol: )

I'd be inclined to think Robert Plant's personal beliefs would fall more into the "spiritual, not religious" category than Christian (though he probably grew up in the ol' C of E)...he probably falls more in line with New Age or wicca or something like that than plain old Christianity...I wouldn't exactly call Jimmy Page 'Christian', either...

• 3 weeks later...

Plant's fondness for all the references to "horn blowing" make it rather unlikely that he was thinking of the tune as a christian one.

While I agree it's not necessarily a Christian song, Gabriel, his horn and being met in the air are all unquestionably Biblical references. According to Christian Scripture, it is said that the Archangel Gabriel will blow a sacred trumpet to wake the dead at the Last Judgement.

Thessalonians 4:16-17, "For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord."

While I agree it's not necessarily a Christian song, Gabriel, his horn and being met in the air are all unquestionably Biblical references...

Yes, that is true. But when RP sings "did you ever have your horn blown? I have a feeling he means something much more down to earth. Don't you?

:)

Archived