Led Zeppelin to be honored with Echo 2013 award in Berlin

Janvier

Whohoooo! Thanks for the link, Black-Dog!!

And here's the translation for what the guy said at the intro: [got this from a kind soul on Tumblr]!

--------------------------

[Campino, singer of the German punk band “Die Toten Hosen“]

Ladies and gentlemen… the Lifetime Achievement Award goes to Led Zeppelin this year [the category was newly established this year but whatever…]. They were trendsetters and pioneers of hard rock and heavy metal and they were the kings of megalomania and noise, but other than many other bands, four absolutely exceptional musicians stood behind their “wall of sound” and managed over and over to write songs with brilliant riffs and melodies that keep delighting generations of music fans until today.

I don’t know how many joints have been rolled and smoked to Whole Lotta Love or how many romantic relationships started and ended to Stairway to Heaven, I for one came across the band when they released their fourth album. I was ten years old back then, and I got a five [second worst grade in Germany] in biology and in art on my school certificate and thus repeated the year - for the first time in my school career. Led Zeppelin were my soundtrack for this time.

After that, the punk revolution carried me off, but I couldn’t escape Led Zeppelin, because when we were on the road with “Die Toten Hosen” we got a driver for our band bus pretty quickly, Uwe Faust from [German city] Herne, and he was famous for having the loudest stereo equipment between Hamburg [north of Germany] and Munich [south], and he only had two favorite bands. That meant for us that we had three possibilities to travel: you either drove with Uwe and listened to Pink Floyd very loud, or you drove with Uwe and listened to Led Zeppelin very, VERY loud – or you traveled on your own, by train. And it was that time when we became true Led Zeppelin experts.

That must be the way many bands felt, because again and again, until today, rock bands mention Led Zeppelin as their main source of inspiration. From Guns ‘n Roses to Nirvana, from Pearl Jam to The White Stripes.

This band invented all those promising clichés every rock musician dreams of when he enters a rehearsal room for the first time in his life. They had their own airplane, they took the best groupies and they were the first to ever throw a television out of a hotel window. [applause] Ladies and gentlemen, Led Zeppelin!

[applause, the film comes on]

[Jimmy, Jonesy and Robert talking]

Led Zeppelin – probably the best band of all times. John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, John Bonham and Robert Plant. Their music – a quantum leap. More complex, louder and more surprising. Every tune, every note a contemporary witness of the attitude of the sixties and the seventies. Led Zeppelin – four sex symbols, hard rock pioneers and sky stormers. Musical Gods of a whole generation.

[Tampa news-report]

But in 1980 the hunt for breaking records ends: after the sudden death of John Bonham the group disbands.

[Jonesy, Robert and Jimmy talking]

Only 27 long years later Led Zeppelin are on stage again. On drums: John Bonham’s son Jason. Their one-off Celebration Day, a celebration day of music history.

[Kennedy Center Honors]

The world bows down – and so do we. Led Zeppelin was and is an attitude of life and probably the best band of all times.

[film ends]

The Echo for Lifetime Achievement International goes to Led Zeppelin. [Jimmy and Jonesy get up to go on stage] Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are here and many fans hope for a reunion. Robert Plant says “I got time in 2014 – why not” [that’s just rubbish, they probably referred to the 60 Minutes on Australian TV where Robert fooled around a bit]. Now would be a good place to announce it [haha, sure]. Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones – Lifetime Achievement International – Led Zeppelin.

I'm not sure why people are making a big deal out of Jimmy's walk. He looks slightly stiff when he gets up, he's probably been sitting down for a while.

It seemed to me he was just making certain not to slip on that portion of the stage.

I'm not sure why people are making a big deal out of Jimmy's walk. He looks slightly stiff when he gets up, he's probably been sitting down for a while.

I also didn't notice anything wrong.

It seemed to me he was just making certain not to slip on that portion of the stage.

He looked fine to me too. I did seem to notice that when Jimmy stepped down from where he was sitting, it looked like he may have forgotten that his seat was on a riser that was elevated maybe six inches off of the floor. But after that he moved right along and almost had a bounce in his step as he approached the presenter.

Aside from Jimmy's good health, thanks to all who contributed to the thread especially Black-Dog for the video and Cookie for all of the wonderful pictures!

Thank you Cookie0024 and aen27, for the comments.

Another video interview with Page, from TIK online. The journalist asks Mr. Page if he's enjoying his visit to Berlin.

"I haven't seen too much this time outside of just being part of this ceremony… I'll have to come back and spend more time here, maybe come back and play".

Thank you Cookie0024 and aen27, for the comments.

Another video interview with Page, from TIK online. The journalist asks Mr. Page if he's enjoying his visit to Berlin.

Coming back to play ??? if i am not mistaken that would be his first Berlin gig since Bonzo's last stand in 1980.

about time!

Archived