Shepard Tone in No Quarter

mrzinj

Is it common knowledge (or even true) that at the 4:45 mark of the studio version of No Quarter, Jimmy and the production team employed the use of an "ascending" Shepard tone? After multiple listens, that segment sounds like a true tonal ascension but the master of the knowledge universe, Wikipedia, suggests it's an auditory illusion - a Shepard tone. After reading this at Wiki, I read about Shepard tones and listened to a few. Very cool concept and technique. Anyway thought you guys might like to check it out. Sorry if this is common knowledge - before I get yelled at, I did a forum search and couldn't find this topic.

The sound at 4:45 is produced by manually moving the lever on the tape delay machine from a longer delay to a shorted delay (played back in reverse)- the input to the tape delay machine is a theramin.

Shepard Tone (coined in 1964 by its name sake) is a phenomenon used as early as the late nineteenth century in orchestral works. Other variations have also been produced.

For example, Jean Claude Risset has produced a rhythmic variant in which tempo appears to increase (or decrease) continuously.

Is it common knowledge (or even true) that at the 4:45 mark of the studio version of No Quarter, Jimmy and the production team employed the use of an "ascending" Shepard tone? After multiple listens, that segment sounds like a true tonal ascension but the master of the knowledge universe, Wikipedia, suggests it's an auditory illusion - a Shepard tone. After reading this at Wiki, I read about Shepard tones and listened to a few. Very cool concept and technique. Anyway thought you guys might like to check it out. Sorry if this is common knowledge - before I get yelled at, I did a forum search and couldn't find this topic.

As far as I know, Jimmy Page was the "production team" on every Led Zeppelin album. I will admit that I do not know what a "Shepard tone" is, but I will say that Jimmy Page is/was the Master Producer (not Executive Producer, as someone has stated on another thread, the Executive Producer on all of Led Zeppelin albums was Peter Grant), that, I believe, is very common knowledge among Led Zeppelin afficionados.

Archived