Oakland, CA-Alameda County Coliseum- July 24, 1977

DavidZoso

This was the last ever show played by the original band in the United States. It was played at the Alameda County Coliseum in Oakland, California as a two day event.

It was put on by Bill Graham as his 'Day on the Green' yearly shows. It was the first time in a very long time that Led Zeppelin actually had opening acts: Derringer and Judas Priest.

Robert Plant and John Bonham knew the members if Judas Priest personally as they were also from Birmingham, England.

Derringer was a band that Rick Derringer had and it included drummer Vinny Appice who would go on to play with Black Sabbath.

This is one of my fav shows from the 1977 tour and one of the first I collected back in the early '80's . I still have my original vinyl bootleg.

The two Oaklland shows are unique in that the music really had to speak for itself as it was played outdoors during the day with hardly any lights, no dry ice and no lasers.

The stage was dressed up to look like Stonehenge with a big sun positioned behind Bonzo's drums.

I don't know the full story about the woman coming out during No Quarter and dancing with Robert Plant but she also came out at the end of Stairway to Heaven as you can see in the pics.

One thing that is kinda neat- the clothes and boots that Jimmy Page wear are the same exact ones he wears in the first video from The Firm's first video for 'Radioactive' in 1985.

There was no drum solo played at this show.

The next scheduled show for the band was going to be at the Superdome in New Orleans. Tragedy struck on July 26th when Robert Plant's 5-year old son Karac died from a stomach virus. The rest of the tour was immediately cancelled.

Here are the last dates that the band didn't get to play:

July 30-New Orleans-The Superdome.

August 2-Chicago- Stadium

August 3- Chicago-Stadium

August 6- Orchard Park, New York-Rich Stadium

August 8--Buffalo, New York-Memorial Auditorium

August 9- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- Civic Arena

August 10- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- Civic Arena

August 13- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania-JFK Stadium

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Over the Hills and Far Away

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

Mystery Train

Black Country Woman

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside

Kashmir

Trampled Underfoot

Guitar solo

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway to Heaven

Encore:

Whole Lotta Love ~ Rock and Roll

19770724lzoaklandcolise.jpg

Jimmy Page arriving for show.

19770724jpoaklandcolise.jpg

Robert Plant backstage

19770724rpoaklandcolise.jpg

Bonzo walking to the stage.

19770724jbbenjilefevrep.jpg

The Song Remains the Same

oakland772.jpg

ledzeppelinoakland1977di2.jpg

19770724jpjjbjpoaklandc.jpg

Sick Again

19770724jbrpjpoaklandco.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine or Since I've Been Loving You

Nobody's Fault but Mine or Since I've Been Loving You

oakland_7-24-77a1.jpg

oakland7-24-77_vv8.jpg

Since I've Been Loving You or No Quarter

19770724jpjoaklandcolis.jpg

Since I've Been Loving You or No Quarter

19770724jpjoaklandcolis.jpg

Violin Bow solo

Violin Bow solo

oaklandbow2477.jpg

Violin Bow solo

19770724jpjboaklandcoli.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

Achilles Last Stand

114664422.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

oakland7-24-77_vv9.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

19770724rpoaklandcolise.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

Achilles Last Stand-(This was my Avatar pic on here from 2007 till 2012)

19770724jbjpoaklandcoli.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

19770724jprpoaklandcoli.jpg

In some of the July 24, 1977 concert photos, JPJ's hair looks red or auburn. What color was his hair back then? Also, that instrument with 3 necks he was playing...was it some type of bass?

Jones had what is commonly referred to as 'dishwater-blond' or 'dirty blond' hair. As for his three-necked instrument, are you new to Led Zeppelin? For surely everyone has heard the legend of JPJ's three-necked acoustic instrument. Made especially so that he could play the various acoustic numbers without having to change guitars. From top to bottom, it is a mandolin, 6-string guitar, and 12-string guitar.

Does anyone know who/why that woman was onstage in the mask with the fan? I think there's another picture somewhere of her on Bonzo's shoulders!

Just a gypsy queen caught up in the moment and encouraged by Bonzo to come out and dance during Jones' solo in "No Quarter". I guess the band liked her dancing so much they let her do it again for "Stairway".

I have the Alpha & Omega vinyl set that has this show(and 1968 Gonzaga) on it, and I remember thinking that the concert wasn't that bad, considering all the drama that had occurred behind the scenes. That last photo is a goofy classic...love the expression on Jimmy's face. Great googly eyes.

Thanks everyone for the kind words- I have said it before -doing these photo setlists is a real passion. This was the last 1977 show I had to do. I have done them all and will do one more of pics that are unknown. I have an idea where some of them are from but unless I know for 100 % I don't label them.

The only two shows I didn't do photo sets for were St. Paul 4-13-77 and Tempe 7-20-77. The St Paul show I do have one pic of them playing either TSRTS or Sick Again that some guy I met on here back in 2004 gave me. He had more pics he was gonna forward me but I lost touch with him. The pic I do have is on my other computer buried in one of my storage buildings but one day I will get it out haha.

The Tempe show I just didn't do a thread for it because PlanetPage did detective work and got the only 2 pics to surface from a newspaper in her own thread. I will do one on my website (which is still under construction) I will with time do every show from every year 1968-. For now, 1977 and 1980 are complete. 1975 is halfway done. And then I have some done in the other years as well.

Just a gypsy queen caught up in the moment and encouraged by Bonzo to come out and dance during Jones' solo in "No Quarter". I guess the band liked her dancing so much they let her do it again for "Stairway".

I have the Alpha & Omega vinyl set that has this show(and 1968 Gonzaga) on it, and I remember thinking that the concert wasn't that bad, considering all the drama that had occurred behind the scenes. That last photo is a goofy classic...love the expression on Jimmy's face. Great googly eyes.

Thanks for the info!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived