Coming Soon...In Full Dimensional Stereo...

ListenToThis

One of the major reasons (aside from constant bickering) that the Zeppelin fanatics are reviled by others: We complain about recordings other fans would kill for.

True dat...funny how that works, innit? :lol:

(Also, Nutrocker, Michonne is a character from the AMC series/comic book The Walking Dead, from which my 'Governor' themed profile is based.

Ah...never seen the show, but then I hardly ever watch the damned idiot box at all anymore...

To be honest, I'm kinda glad this thread got bumped back up. I'm always in the mood for speculatory gabbing.

At least on this site 'speculatory gabbing' is allowed...unlike certain other Zep sites where speculation is frowned upon because it may remind certain members (and/or moderators) of past transgressions ;)

At least on this site 'speculatory gabbing' is allowed...unlike certain other Zep sites where speculation is frowned upon because it may remind certain members (and/or moderators) of past transgressions ;)

lolololol...

For what it's worth, he is fully aware of his past foolishness, and I feel that he has gone to great lengths (especially recently) to combat the bad reputation he has among some people.

Without the site-that-shall-not-be-named, it's safe to say we'd be a much sadder and recording-less community, indeed.

For what it's worth, he is fully aware of his past foolishness, and I feel that he has gone to great lengths (especially recently) to combat the bad reputation he has among some people.

Without the site-that-shall-not-be-named, it's safe to say we'd be a much sadder and recording-less community, indeed.

I'm not taking sides, but I can back this up. I saw his comments in a post relating to a tape of 1971/11/16, and he did seem genuinely remorseful.

Odd considering "a certain Zep site" that MAY or MAY NOT be in question (it is) has a 41 page long topic dedicated to speculation of the upcoming box sets. :whistling:

True, but try 'speculating' about any uncirculating recordings known or even rumoured to exist over there, and see what can happen...used to be banning offense, and a surefire way to have comments or entire discussions edited, if not outright deleted. Why? Because a helluva lot of those rumours over the years actually originated there, and some members at that site don't want to be reminded of it, of their past lies. Nice, huh?

And without that site Led Zeppelin collectors would also have a much better reputation than they do within the live music trading community, so it's a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I'm not taking sides, but I can back this up. I saw his comments in a post relating to a tape of 1971/11/16, and he did seem genuinely remorseful.

Not to sound callous but cancer treatment can do that to a person.

How do you guys square trying to improve their bad rep, etc when the same kind of shady, 'we have something you don't have'/elitist trader mentality still exists there to this very day? You guys ARE aware that they are apparently passing along via private messages some sort of previously uncirculated recording and/or video only among members who have made some sort of donation in order the keep the site running, among other things? I read those discussions over there -which naturally have now been deleted and stricken from the record- and thought, "Yep...some things never change." :rolleyes:

And without that site Led Zeppelin collectors would also have a much better reputation than they do within the live music trading community, so it's a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Not to sound callous but cancer treatment can do that to a person.

How do you guys square trying to improve their bad rep, etc when the same kind of shady, 'we have something you don't have'/elitist trader mentality still exists there to this very day? You guys ARE aware that they are apparently passing along via private messages some sort of previously uncirculated recording and/or video only among members who have made some sort of donation in order the keep the site running, among other things? I read those discussions over there -which naturally have now been deleted and stricken from the record- and thought, "Yep...some things never change." :rolleyes:

I don't think RO can take sole blame for that -- the twenty-odd years of backstabbing and lunacy (from quite a few of those involved) are the reasons why Zeppelin collectors are handled in such a wary fashion, or outright mocked.

As to your last points...maybe you shouldn't talk about what's going on at RO, seeing as you clearly don't know what you're talking about anyway. You do sound callous, and just because you burned your bridges there doesn't mean everyone else is excluded.

For those of us who have been trading for 20 years or more everyone gets burned from time to time. It can create animosity and serve to fracture the Zep community. I'm game to discuss these things with anybody via PM however in the interest of continuing the thread I'll say that any pending EV release has missed the holiday window - spring of next year looks like a good bet.

EV did put out a Christmas release in case anyone missed it - a reissue of Snowblind with better artwork than the original.

Some weird comments out there to me but please bear in mind that I am not that guy, whoever he is. Apparently, the only connection betwen us that we are both based in same country but I've even never traded with him. Most of what's I have I got either from trade or torrents. Please do not connect me with that person in any way.

As to your last points...maybe you shouldn't talk about what's going on at RO, seeing as you clearly don't know what you're talking about anyway.

Maybe you'd care to enlighten us, then...you trying to tell me that there isn't some sort of secret business going on involving some uncirculated material available only through private messages? I know what I read there, Melcore, I have absolutely nothing to gain by lying about it.

You do sound callous, and just because you burned your bridges there doesn't mean everyone else is excluded.

Never said I burned my bridges there...I never had any bridges to burn to begin with :lol: Only reason I joined that site in the first place was to see if it was really as bad as people said it was...and I was not disappointed. In the interest of full disclosure, when Freezer asked me to try and find out who leaked the info about his Baton Rouge '77 recording, that's when I joined R.O.

Well, as a Neanderthal who still buys actual physical bootlegs, whether in vinyl or cd form, if March 10, 1975 San Diego is the next release from EVSD, I might still get it but I'm definitely 'meh' about the show. Perhaps it's because they're sandwiched between the excellent Dallas/Long Beach/Seattle-Vancouver string of shows, but both San Diego shows have struck me as merely average at best.

Granted, 'average' Led Zeppelin is still pretty good and if a soundboard is available, I'm all for putting it out there.

But, I still reserve the right to hold my excitement in check if a substandard show is released in lieu of better shows. How about some early '75 Soundboards...Chicago, Indianapolis, Brussels? Or, given that we know Led Zeppelin performed a phenomenal stretch of concerts from February 12 to March 5, with great-sounding soundboards to boot (MSG, Nassau, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Dallas), how about releasing something from that stretch-run? Ft. Worth...New Orleans...Houston...Knoxville? Where's Philadelphia '75? Landover '75?

All these would be preferable to 3.10.75San Diego.

And I haven't even mentioned 1971...

Well, as a Neanderthal who still buys actual physical bootlegs, whether in vinyl or cd form, if March 10, 1975 San Diego is the next release from EVSD, I might still get it but I'm definitely 'meh' about the show. Perhaps it's because they're sandwiched between the excellent Dallas/Long Beach/Seattle-Vancouver string of shows, but both San Diego shows have struck me as merely average at best.

Granted, 'average' Led Zeppelin is still pretty good and if a soundboard is available, I'm all for putting it out there.

But, I still reserve the right to hold my excitement in check if a substandard show is released in lieu of better shows. How about some early '75 Soundboards...Chicago, Indianapolis, Brussels? Or, given that we know Led Zeppelin performed a phenomenal stretch of concerts from February 12 to March 5, with great-sounding soundboards to boot (MSG, Nassau, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Dallas), how about releasing something from that stretch-run? Ft. Worth...New Orleans...Houston...Knoxville? Where's Philadelphia '75? Landover '75?

All these would be preferable to 3.10.75San Diego.

And I haven't even mentioned 1971...

Well you've hit the nail right on the head now haven't you? Lets say for the sake of argument that each and every show zeppelin did was recorded by soundboard and EVSD has them all. Do you really think they would release the best shows first? If I were the guy releasing them to disc I would put out the worst shows first with a few decent shows interspersed in order to keep people buying while saving the best for last.

With their penchant for re-re-releasing shows for the umpteenth time why would anyone bother paying for a 300.00 dollar multi disc bootleg if it was the worst show goin performance wise and you already owned all their best.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you've hit the nail right on the head now haven't you? Lets say for the sake of argument that each and every show zeppelin did was recorded by soundboard and EVSD has them all. Do you really think they would release the best shows first? If I were the guy releasing them to disc I would put out the worst shows first with a few decent shows interspersed in order to keep people buying while saving the best for last.

With their penchant for re-re-releasing shows for the umpteenth time why would anyone bother paying for a 300.00 dollar multi disc bootleg if it was the worst show goin performance wise and you already owned all their best.

Okay, let's think this through.

First of all, I think we can all agree that the bootleg market is not what it used to be, right? Whereas in the 1970s, bootlegs like Dylan's "Great White Wonder", Zeppelin's "Blueberry Hill", and the Stones' "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" sold in the thousands, today a release is lucky to reach in the hundreds, if that. A major reason for this, of course, is that ever increasing numbers of people don't bother getting a physical copy of the release...they just download it from a file put up by someone else.

Those of us who still collect bootlegs are not only shrinking in number, but we're getting older and closer to death, which will shrink the pool of bootleg consumers even further.

So, say you are a person who is hoarding a tape. What exactly are you waiting for? For the only ones who willingly still pay for bootlegs to die off? The longer a hoarder waits to sell their tape to some Japanese company, the less chance they have of getting a big payday, as the market dwindles more and more and pretty soon bootleg releases will sell only in the dozens.

The idea of waiting to release the best shows last is suicide because at the rate they are going, by the time they get around to releasing, say, the missing early 1977 shows or the unreleased soundboards, there will be nobody left alive to care.

Now that I've had time to think on it, I actually would still be excited if EVSD's next release is 1975/03/10. The last three or so '75 'boards have all been of very exceptional performances, and I think 03/10 fits into the same esteemed category. On top of that, the current source for this gig is one of the comparatively lesser-sounding tapes for 1975, so an upgrade would/should be welcomed.

I don't think we'll see any video either. People talk about it for years but nothing ever shows up. Whomever has any video has no interest in sharing it. Frankly why should they care about sharing it. It's not public knowledge who has what or what exists so no one really knows.

I'd rather see Baton Rouge '77 audio, which definitively exists and is slowly ( very slowly) bring circulated.

I've heard the Pontiac and Houston tales for 15 years. But nothing ever happens. There is absolutely no point in dreaming about them because if they are in the hands of collectors these collectors don't give a crap about anybody else ever seeing them. So I've chosen to also not give a crap and don't lust after them.

Archived